PDA

View Full Version : SPEC Clutch

AFOUR_PLAY
03-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Ok, i have done some research on the SPEC clutches available and found good feedback on their reliability and performance.

So I was looking at getting the SPEC Stage 3+ clutch kit with Fidanza flywheel.
I've had a few people from another forum tell me that the SPEC cluch kits are garbage and that I'll will fall apart after a few months of use.

Anyone here had experience wih SPEC?

Boost_N_Grip
03-15-2006, 08:28 PM
I have a SPEC stage 3 clutch in my car and Im very happy with it.... Ive had it in since thanksgiving and it going strong.. Oh forget about balancing on a hill it sucks the grabs and doesnt really alow you to...

JeffM1587
03-15-2006, 09:17 PM
i have stage 3+ with their lwfw and have had 0 problems. great clutch u will love it

Eurotuned_A4
03-15-2006, 09:22 PM
i have the spec stage 3 clutch with lwfw. in first gear it will make a loud sqeeul. i even called spec and they said it just happens in cars. they couldnt explain why. now i have a BT and it cant grip the power(as if i was launching the car). later down the road im going to switch to soutbend.

AFOUR_PLAY
03-15-2006, 09:24 PM
Cool,

What's the engagement like with the Stage 3 +?
Any chatter with the flywheel?

JeffM1587
03-15-2006, 09:30 PM
not much chatter from mine at all

Still Lost
03-15-2006, 09:36 PM
i have a fidanza lwfw for sale if your interested

I have a southbend stage 2 clutch and a spec flywheel and no problems, very little chatter only at real low rpms but nothing crazy, and I'll tell you once the clutch is worn in it grabs and launched like no other

Eurotuned_A4
03-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Still Lost
i have a fidanza lwfw for sale if your interested

I have a southbend stage 2 clutch and a spec flywheel and no problems, very little chatter only at real low rpms but nothing crazy, and I'll tell you once the clutch is worn in it grabs and launched like no other

how long have you had the southbend clutch and spec lwfw combo? i had a recent thread that asked if the southbend clutch would work with a spec lwfw, but no one could really answer. any problems with the combination? thanks

juju4uofa
03-16-2006, 07:22 AM
I live about 30 miles from Spec and have met several of their employees. As much as I would like to recommend them, from everything I've seen and read southbend is the way to go. Then again I've never owned either one, so what do I know :).

vincere
03-16-2006, 07:27 AM
I have a Spec stage 2 clutch and lwfw and have had this combo for over 2 1/2 years and 30,000 miles with pretty good luck. I had problems with squealing for the first few months until I did some hard launches and then the squeal would go away. Whenever it came back a few hard launches would get rid of it. I am starting to slip in 4th and 5th now when it is cold out and I am at lower rpm's but I have been impressed with the longevity of the clutch. I just ordered a new stage 2+ as I saw that Southbend clutches and Spec flywheels don't mate up well sometimes and some have had issues with the combo. I really liked the sound of ECS RS4 clutch/flywheel combo but it is very pricey.

andy@sbc
03-16-2006, 07:28 AM
QUOTE:So I was looking at getting the SPEC Stage 3+ clutch kit with Fidanza flywheel.

Don't use a Fidanza if you can't put a sprung disc with it.

Daft
03-16-2006, 07:36 AM
I will never buy another SPEC product again.

They are expensive, low quality and they offer zero product support.

I installed a SPEC stage I clutch in my car in August of 2004. Since my car is only chipped and is my daily driver, I wanted a stock feeling, full-faced clutch. I also bought a LWFW from another AZ member at the time and it had just been serviced by SPEC before it was sent to me.

As soon as I installed everything, the transmission began to tick at idle. I called SPEC and they just gave me "That happens on all the Audi cars". Then I spent several days calling around to other suppliers of SPEC products and finally was told that the LWFW was allowing the tranny to vibrate more.

This wasn't SPEC's fault but, they more or less blew me off.

The next item is that I have about 20K miles on this clutch and it's just about gone. I have almost no engagement feel left. My pedal travels 90% of the way up and then the clutch grabs right before I remove my foot from the pedal. I don't race my car, I don't dump my clutch, I don't practice launches either. I do mostly highway driving too! That's about as gentle as one can be with a clutch.

I called Andy at southbend last week to ask about the dual-mass FW that comes from the factory and during our discussion I mentioned my pedal travel. He offered to send me a new clutch disc but, then I told him that it was a SPEC clutch. SPEC would never have offered a replacement disc.....[mad]

My next setup will be with my OEM dual-mass FW and a southbend full-faced clutch.[up]

Eurotuned_A4
03-16-2006, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Daft
I will never buy another SPEC product again.

My next setup will be with my OEM dual-mass FW and a southbend full-faced clutch.[up]

thats what im saying. i dont need the lwfw. i just really gotta do something about the clutch. im probably gonna replace in 3-4 months. i gotta finish other things up first.

BranCKY3
03-16-2006, 11:08 AM
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2500192

Some of the opinions over on the 1.8T forum on vortex.

Daft
03-16-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by BranCKY3
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2500192

Some of the opinions over on the 1.8T forum on vortex.

Holy smokes! That guy's clutch looked like it was used for 200K miles!!! Can't believe it wore down to that in 2 months.

Ray Khan
03-16-2006, 12:42 PM
I'm going from SPEC stage 3 to Southbend Stage 4 OFE. I'm keeping my SPEC LWFW and replacing the friction surface. I really don't care for the SPEC, the screetching noise upon engagement and the weirdness with engagement on hills. I am looking forward to my SBC based on others' reviews.

vincere
03-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Ray Khan
I'm going from SPEC stage 3 to Southbend Stage 4 OFE. I'm keeping my SPEC LWFW and replacing the friction surface. I really don't care for the SPEC, the screetching noise upon engagement and the weirdness with engagement on hills. I am looking forward to my SBC based on others' reviews.

Ray, have you heard of any issues using the Spec flywheel with Southbend clutches? I did not want to have to buy another flywheel so I ordered another Spec clutch but I may have to rethink my decision. I emailed Southbend a few days ago but they did not respond. What kind of weird issues did you have on hills? I did have some issues with the engagement point not being consistent on my Spec clutch when it was newer but it was not a big deal at the time.

Dave

Ray Khan
03-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by vincere
Ray, have you heard of any issues using the Spec flywheel with Southbend clutches? I did not want to have to buy another flywheel so I ordered another Spec clutch but I may have to rethink my decision. I emailed Southbend a few days ago but they did not respond. What kind of weird issues did you have on hills? I did have some issues with the engagement point not being consistent on my Spec clutch when it was newer but it was not a big deal at the time.

Dave

I am making the assumption the clutch and flywheel should work fine together. In an ideal world they "should" If I find that they don't match up, I'll probably have to get an SBC flywheel and sell the SPEC.

As far as my SPEC issues go. I have the stage 3, 6 puck style clutch. It seems to hold ok. It doesn't slip a little on a hard launch, but it might just be my poor launching skills. Unless I have very little load when I engage the clutch in first gear, there is a screetchign sound. I have to assume it's the friction material not grabbing the flywheel and just racking over it. If you didn't know any better, you would think the car has spun it's tires from the sound. It's very loud, very annoying and attracts a lot of attention. It's very embarrasing. As for the hills, when I engage the clutch on a hill, or even on flat gound after having backed down a hill, the engagement point seems lower. It's not really engaging at this lower point, but if you don't get the gas, the car will stall. But until you let the clutch out to the normal engagement point the car won't go anywhere. So it's like this vague extended friction zone is there temporarily, but it doesnt make the car move. I know another guy with similar issues with this clutch.

AFOUR_PLAY
03-16-2006, 02:16 PM
Has anyone had problems with the Fidanza flywheel?

Will the Fidanza flywheel work with other clutches?

Eurotuned_A4
03-16-2006, 06:19 PM
yes, im not the only one with that damn sound and my spec stage 3. ray khan, when are you planning on switching? i dont want to have to buy another flywheel since i already have the spec lwfw and im concerned about the southbend working with it.

F16HTON
03-16-2006, 06:27 PM
After a full and complete break in...my Spec Stage 4 lasted one whole week.

I switched to a Southbend OFE with a Upgraded Sachs SS pressure plate. My clutch has never slipped and I abuse the hell out of it.

The SB clutch performed flawlessly for 13 consecutive drag launches last summer at WaterWagens and is still going strong.

I have about 25 qm passes with it and tons of street racing.

In addition my GF drives my car more than me and she is pretty darn hard on the clutch too.

Still Lost
03-16-2006, 06:33 PM
the thing w/ Fidanza is you can't use a springed/dampend clutch (ie one that has springs in it) it won't clear the springs...if you are using a rigid clutch you will be fine w/ FIdanza

vincere
03-16-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Ray Khan

As far as my SPEC issues go. I have the stage 3, 6 puck style clutch. It seems to hold ok. It doesn't slip a little on a hard launch, but it might just be my poor launching skills. Unless I have very little load when I engage the clutch in first gear, there is a screetchign sound. I have to assume it's the friction material not grabbing the flywheel and just racking over it. If you didn't know any better, you would think the car has spun it's tires from the sound. It's very loud, very annoying and attracts a lot of attention. It's very embarrasing. As for the hills, when I engage the clutch on a hill, or even on flat gound after having backed down a hill, the engagement point seems lower. It's not really engaging at this lower point, but if you don't get the gas, the car will stall. But until you let the clutch out to the normal engagement point the car won't go anywhere. So it's like this vague extended friction zone is there temporarily, but it doesnt make the car move. I know another guy with similar issues with this clutch.

That is the same issue that I had with my Spec clutch. I always double clutch when I stop on hills or back up before I start out but it would be nice to not have to do that. I could live with that but the screeching was very annoying and embarassing as you said. My screeching went away after I started doing hard launches and whenever it came back, I just did a few more launches and it went away again. I almost forgot how annoying that screech was. I think that I'll be calling SBC tomorrow.
Dave

Emil@RENN-ART
03-16-2006, 07:19 PM
we highly recommend the RA4 upgrades from ECS (should also be up on our site by the time you read this). they're really not that expensive when you factor in that it includes an aluminum flywheel (which normally by itself is around $600).

southbend's clutches, like the OFE for $585 is also great if you plan on using your stock flywheel to save some cash (or you're just looking for 100% stock daily drivability).

AFOUR_PLAY
03-16-2006, 07:33 PM
Anyone used the SPEC Stage 3+???

I have a friend that is running one in his B6 Stage 3 with the Fidanza flywheel and says its great

smoothie
10-24-2006, 08:04 PM
sorry to bring up this old thread but i seen the linky to a pic of a clutch disk that had like 200k on it.... well here is what came out of my 300zx when i bought it.... enjoy!

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n4/nazx/?action=view&current=DSCN0135.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch4

sean1.8t
10-24-2006, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by smoothie
sorry to bring up this old thread but i seen the linky to a pic of a clutch disk that had like 200k on it.... well here is what came out of my 300zx when i bought it.... enjoy!

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n4/nazx/?action=view&current=DSCN0135.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch4

umm.. ok. the disc is destroyed.. so what does this 300zx clutch disk have to do with anything the thread was talking about?

bitterchild
10-24-2006, 10:28 PM
thanks for bringing up this worthless thread. SPEC clutches suck ass.

MR VTEC
10-25-2006, 09:31 AM
well i'll commend smoothie for searching... [:)]