PDA

View Full Version : Ko4 boost psi?

EuroA4
03-15-2006, 06:26 PM
I just took apart my Kinetic MS manifold to replace a bolt that was inititally installed. It was a few mm short and was backing out and causing obvious boost leak. Well after a bitch of a time getting the manifold off, then breaking a bolt off in the turbo housing and having to drill it out...I finally got it all back together again and also installed a TIP to better feed air to the K04. I have a 2001 CH ECU with GIAC K04 file, evo intake, 5 bar fpr, Turboxs bpv, milltek dp back and stock cat.

Before the work I was reaching about 17psi peak, and holding at around 14-15. Now....I am peaking at 25psi...and can hold boost at 22-23 psi. The car feels totally different now.

I am experiencing some surging at mid level throttle input, and I also have an early "hold point" of 5 psi...where the turbo kind of just hangs out without going up, until I really step on the gas to go. It will then go up to the higher levels mentioned above.

My question is...can this "hold point" be caused by a kinked boost hose that gets some air through, but then stops until a large amount of boost opens the kinked line?

Also...should I install a MBC to keep boost under control, or should I upgrade to the "hammer file"?? I am just wondering how much more that would be than what I have now....it seems really strong especiallly in 4th and 5th gear at 20-22 psi,,,,it really pulls hard.

Also any tricks tp get those manifold bolts on/off would be highly appreciated.

Kruat
03-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Man, how are you guys seeing that much boost on a KO4. Granted, I'm DBC, but I only see about 18-20lbs and hold 14-15lbs. I've been thinking about a MBC myself.

pierce
03-15-2006, 08:18 PM
I'm spiking 20-21lbs with only a GIAC-X chip...I'll be expecting to spike around 25lbs with K04, also.

SportyB5
03-20-2006, 10:37 PM
On my 2001 B5 I'm spiking 21 and holding at 17 lbs of boost. Getting the bolts off the manifold is a pain. I used a flexible head wrench that has a ratchet built into it. It's a craftsman if that helps. If you do get a chance to take off the manifold for any reason check it for cracks.