PDA

View Full Version : Pc16 Problems!!!

quattro8239
03-14-2006, 10:07 AM
I just receieved an ECU w/ the Pc16 file today. I swaped it in keep in mind this is the same exact ecu number as my original and the car won't start. I hooked up my vag com to the car and it won't even recognize the ecu when I click on the engine button. Normaly with my other ecu all I have to do is turn the key to accesory and the vag will recognize the ecu. Can anyone tell me if I"m doing something wrong here?? What about my fuel pressure regulator should the screw for that be all the way up or down just to start the car, because obviously I can't adjust it with the car off.

b00st
03-14-2006, 10:11 AM
maybe the chip is not intact in the ECU? it won't fire unless all the solder connects or socket connects are made.

quattro8239
03-14-2006, 10:13 AM
I just opened it up and checked it, everything seems to be fine, it's a socketed ecu I pushed the chip all the way down. I was so exctied for this switched everyhing from fpr to injectors I would hate to take everything off again.

b00st
03-14-2006, 10:16 AM
well if your car started with your original ECU, then the problem lies with your new one your plugging in. not sure what. the board could be dead. i dunno..........but its definitely with your new ECU.

quattro8239
03-14-2006, 10:20 AM
thanks boost, i appriciate the fast response, now with the adj. fpr what did you first set it at, all the way at the top or bottom??

b00st
03-14-2006, 10:29 AM
well originally it was supposed to be set at
2.7bar = 39.15psi
or
2.8bar = 40.6psi

i found this to run lean for me up top...but such is the pc16 file according to all the recent dynos. if you do a search for pc16...you'll come across my dyno.

i have since bumped it another 4psi from the 2.8 bar it was originally set at.

don't forget to take off the vacuum line prior to adjusting.

for the pc16 file to be hitting its most accurate readings....a new release of info regarding came out. you must have spark plugs under 10k. new MAF and O2 sensors must have 50k or less and same with the fuel filter. this will help insure your A/F ratios are as accurate as can be.

if you don't have a gauge get one ASAP. but it would be closer to the top. otherwise swap a 3bar FPR in there....which should put your around 36psi (with vac line on). at least mine did on MY car. which is close to what i'm at now....since the gauge drops when the vac line is reconnected.

quattro8239
03-14-2006, 10:33 AM
so you're saying it dosen't matter where the screw is set before the car is turned on, the car should turn on if the screw is at the bottom or top?? I have a guage it's not possible to get a reading unless the car is on right?

b00st
03-14-2006, 10:48 AM
right turn car on. pull vac line off FPR. look at gauge and adjust to around 40psi or so or 2.8 bar. honestly the file runs lean. so i would go a few psi about the 2.8 (40.5psi). the screw would be at the top. but it really doesn't matter. start the car. and do what i said above.

quattro8239
03-14-2006, 10:58 AM
alright that's what I wanted to clarify that I can start the car matter where the screw is set at the time then adjust after...
but dosen't look like anything is going to happend this ecu is def fried my luck sucks

RedRocket
03-14-2006, 11:03 AM
Ok here's a shot in the dark.

Can you plug in the old ECU and see if the VAG will pick it up now?

Kruat
03-14-2006, 11:04 AM
Who did the ECU? When I had my ECU chipped by Evolution, the first time they sent my ECU to me, It wouldn't start my car. I called them, they said it could be the decoder on the GIAC chip. I sent it back to them, they rechipped it, and now it starts perfect.

quattro8239
03-14-2006, 11:42 AM
i bought the whole ecu and chip from someone used, they had a giac socketed ecu and ordered the chip for me and put it in, it was never tested. So it could be the chip or the board itself I have no idea. And yes the vag com does pick up my old ecu so it's not that.

Eurotuned_A4
03-14-2006, 11:45 AM
so the ECU was someone elses and they had it chipped with the pc16 and then sent it out?

quattro8239
03-14-2006, 01:33 PM
that's correct, euro is yours still for sale?
\

b00st
03-14-2006, 02:20 PM
not to cut euro but,
i would ask the person you got it from - where he got it chipped and then ask if they can look at it again, or warranty their work. most places are pretty accomodating.

Eurotuned_A4
03-14-2006, 03:01 PM
i recently sold it, sorry man. was the person/place you bought yours from legit? have you contacted them at all?

quattro8239
03-14-2006, 03:44 PM
it's a member from here, i forget his sn but I've been in touch with him for about 3 months now over this, I'm sure we'll be able to work something out, he had the ecu and what he did is had a buddy of his order the pc16 chip. I don't want to have to send this to awe since they will charge me 75 bucks just to diagnose the problem. And I could just be paying to hear that it's fried. I'm just hoping to get in touch with the seller soon. Thanks for all the help everyone.

mike-2ptzero
03-14-2006, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by quattro8239
it's a member from here, i forget his sn but I've been in touch with him for about 3 months now over this, I'm sure we'll be able to work something out, he had the ecu and what he did is had a buddy of his order the pc16 chip. I don't want to have to send this to awe since they will charge me 75 bucks just to diagnose the problem. And I could just be paying to hear that it's fried. I'm just hoping to get in touch with the seller soon. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Did you check to make sure the chip and socket board match. They should both have the same thing on the end of the #. IIRC it should be either a V03 or 03A.

quattro8239
03-14-2006, 05:56 PM
It seems that one of the prongs on the chip is broken, that could explain everything. But to test the board I need to find someone around Jersey with a giac chip. Can anyone help??

Kruat
03-14-2006, 06:17 PM
I'm not in jersey, but I do have a PC16 GIAC chip that I'm not currently using.