PDA

View Full Version : Started TB install...

joker1626
03-13-2006, 07:55 PM
It's time! I started the Timing belt tonight. I didn't get far. That front bumper sucks munkey balls. Does anyone have any hints that might make this easier or quicker?

I am doing the k04 upgrade, snub mount, TB, Water Pump, front right axle (raxles rocks my socks!), painted lowers, and osram silverstars. "It's gonna be fun" (Adam Sandler - Mr. Deeds)

I gotta finish everything by next Monday so I got some work to do.

Any suggestions?

joker1626
03-13-2006, 07:58 PM
Oh by the way anyone doing the tb, when taking off the front bumper, take the front headlights off first and you can see the top of the bracket that is such a bish. Then it is as easy as creamcheese!

TQMB5
03-13-2006, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by joker1626
Oh by the way anyone doing the tb, when taking off the front bumper, take the front headlights off first and you can see the top of the bracket that is such a bish. Then it is as easy as creamcheese!

dont do that it would be a waste of time. be forceful and this is how it worked the best for me. push the bumper from the front by the headlight to the back of the car. should stay there but doesnt hurt to have an extra person hold it in. then grap the side and pull down to the ground and out towards you at the same time. agian dont be afraid to be forceful

audispeed
03-13-2006, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by TQMB5
dont do that it would be a waste of time. be forceful and this is how it worked the best for me. push the bumper from the front by the headlight to the back of the car. should stay there but doesnt hurt to have an extra person hold it in. then grap the side and pull down to the ground and out towards you at the same time. agian dont be afraid to be forceful

yeah, you need to use some force. APR has a how to on their website. If you get stuck, call them up, they are a good bunch of guys.

diegomatrix
03-13-2006, 09:27 PM
save yourself most of the work listed in aw's writeup by putting it in service position.

Eurotuned_A4
03-13-2006, 09:33 PM
yeah the front is a pita to get off. ill be doing it soon. force does help though.

bitterchild
03-13-2006, 09:41 PM
I always take the headlights out. 10 min taking them out and the bumper comes off in 2.

joker1626
03-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by bitterchild
I always take the headlights out. 10 min taking them out and the bumper comes off in 2.

Exactly, the headlights are easy to get off and you need to take them off anyway. Once they are off you can see where you need to push the bumper down and out. It makes it a lot easier IMHO. You still need to use force but you don't have to guess where to push, you can see the bracket holding it on.

joker1626
03-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by diegomatrix
save yourself most of the work listed in aw's writeup by putting it in service position.

What's "service position"?

Daft
03-14-2006, 11:00 AM
You remove the lock carrier bolts and slide the lock carrier forward about 6".

Honestly, I like having the ability to remove the nose of the car. Then you can just sit on a milk crate or a rollie chair and take your time.

The bumper is like a puzzle the first time you remove it. Once you get the upper clips free, you're amazed that you didn't see the logic from the start.

BTW, take the headlights out, they're easy to remove and they just get in the way.

diegomatrix
03-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by joker1626
What's "service position"?

Originally posted by Daft

You remove the lock carrier bolts and slide the lock carrier forward about 6".

yep. basically, you only need to take off the carrier bolts, take off the hood release line, and then slide the top of the whole carrier (w/ the lights, radiator, etc still on it) towards you. all the hoses are still connected. they were designed to bend so that you can have some room to do front end work w/out having to take off the front completely..

it's especially useful if you're doing a tb on a tip car... coz you really don't want to disconnect the ATF lines connecting to the radiator...

joker1626
03-14-2006, 05:01 PM
Oh, well I already took everything off anyway. I just replaced the thermostat and waterpump. So far the only thing I have had problems with were the dampner pulley bolts. It is kinda hard to hold the breaker bar on the 19mm bolt while trying to break the 6mm hex bolts loose. Took some weird angles.

TQMB5
03-14-2006, 05:55 PM
thats where a friend came in handy, and yea i liked having the front off specially since it was my first time, need room to torque bolts off and see, maybe if you know what your doing the service position would be the way to go but definalty take it all of the first time