PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Bearing Crazyness

blacka41point8t
03-11-2006, 10:01 PM
So I was cruising around tonight with my gf and we are on the local freeway heading back towards my place. I had a bad wheel bearing and knew it was going to go eventually. Before we left the resteraunt in a neighboring city both me and her heard this weird clanking noise almost like something was loose and hitting the ground. I was like ah screw it i'll look at it when we get home. So we take the freeway back to my place and as soon as we take the exit to get off I hear this loud grinding noise accompanied by a loud loud screech and what sounded like someone was running shoes through a dryer.

I quickly slowed down and pulled over. The car felt really unstable almost like it was going to lose control. It slowed down with me really not even pushing on the brake.It tripped my abs light and the sound was just awful. My house was only a mile away so I called a friend to follow me just incase I needed a ride home if the wheel locked up. After I got home the wheel almost looked a little crooked and the smell was horrible. He said he could see sparks flying from my wheel and he could hear the screeching through his car.

Funny thing was about 2 hours before that I was racing around with one of my buddies and his gti and we were doing 125!!! Good thing my bearing didn't go out then.

Lesson learned! When you hear your wheel bearing starting to go. Change it!!! So tomorrow I'm going to have at it and spend my day doing that. Any clue why my abs sensor was tripped?

scooter44
03-11-2006, 10:35 PM
u knew u had a bad wheel bearing and u were racing ur friend?! haha

keep us updated on the repair.

blacka41point8t
03-12-2006, 08:23 AM
think my abs sensor is toast?

werksmini
03-12-2006, 10:01 AM
The only way to know is to take it apart and find out. What highway were you racing on? I remember racing around on 494 ever night during the summer. Tops I hit was like 135 near carlson pkwy. haha sorry, i miss MN.

blacka41point8t
03-12-2006, 10:05 AM
494 fosho. At around 11 there are barely any cars on it...Carlson Parkway was the exit I was getting off at. Ha. Ironic.

sushi_turbo
03-13-2006, 01:35 AM
LOL I also have a bad front wheel bearing that just keeps getting louder and louder.

snopyro
03-13-2006, 01:48 AM
time to get a 12 ton press from harbor freight or visit your local machine shop to press out the old bearings and push in the new ones... be sure you push in the new bearings in the right direction- i had mistakenly pushed a set in the wrong direction and realized it when trying to push the hubs back on. if they're like my cq's then one side of the inner bearing lip will be ball seated and the other will be flat. see which side mates with the hub before pressing in the bearing. good luck!

blacka41point8t
03-13-2006, 05:02 AM
Well...on the drive to the shop the bearing got so hot it cooked my cv boot right off. Pressed the bearing out and it kind of just fell out in pieces. The bearings were all crushed inside of it. It's the worst one i've seen by far. Well now I need a new cv joint and boot. AHHHHHHH!!!

badassbaldie
03-13-2006, 09:17 AM
Well now I need a new cv joint and boot. AHHHHHHH!!!

I saw that one coming. Your lucky you don't have to replace the whole hub assembly..."Glass is half full."

hey4
03-13-2006, 10:09 AM
wow trever, nice going. BTW were you racing tim? Too bad you can't enjoy the storm today. It feels great passing people. My car was definatley the fastest one today out all the cars I saw on the road.

hey4
03-13-2006, 10:25 AM
wow trever, nice going. BTW were you racing tim? Too bad you can't enjoy the storm today. It feels great passing people. My car was definatley the fastest one today out all the cars I saw on the road.