PDA

View Full Version : Keith @ apr-HELP!!!

bigcfromcinci
03-11-2006, 09:01 AM
I've sent my ecu to APR twice this week & theyv'e overnighted it back to me twice.
I sent it off in the first place to get the updated files, plus the 100 octane race program, which includes a button to program the programs.
I got it back wednesday(first time) & went to install it. It wouldn't recgonize the programs with the button switch. The check engine light wouldn't come on either.

So I call up Keith at APR & he says send it back on their ups account overnight & he'll overnight it back to me with saturday delivery.
I got the ECU back again this morning. I noticed on the back where it's got the programs that he uppdated it to all the programs :) Which includes 91,93,100 & 104 octane along with the unique access code,plus the throttle bottle alignment & code erasor.

Well I go to install it this morning & it WON'T even start now. Any thoughts,ideas?? I need my car for tonight!!!!!!!1

I'm in no way bashing APR....I've tried PM'ing Keith a little bit ago.Maybe he will log on soon I hope.

thanks!!

offroader1006
03-11-2006, 10:23 AM
did you check the pins on the connector?

make sure nothing got bent or is corroded.

bigcfromcinci
03-11-2006, 10:27 AM
yes, i checked all that first...My friend is coming over with his vagcom. He thinks it maybe the immobilizer.

But what is weird is the cel doesn't come on at all. Is that normal?

Poopie
03-11-2006, 10:46 AM
what year is your car?

drlandry00
03-11-2006, 10:53 AM
if you are pre 2001 you shouldnt have an immobilzer.. so I have heard..

Poopie
03-11-2006, 10:56 AM
i don't think any b5s have the immobilizer if you are in the US

bigcfromcinci
03-11-2006, 10:56 AM
it's an 98

Poopie
03-11-2006, 10:57 AM
hhmm....you don't have an immobilizer. I have heard of this problem before. Did you search?

bigcfromcinci
03-11-2006, 10:59 AM
no, but I will. I didn't think anyone would have something come up like this..just my luck ;)

what should i put in the search to get the most likey hits for what i'm looking for?

xonetruthcrewx
03-11-2006, 11:07 AM
if your check engine light is not comming on at all that means that either the ECM is screwed up from the upgrade and its "dead" if you want to say that or that there is no power getting to the ECM. VAG COM will not work on the engine controller being that there is no power running through it. Nothing you can really do except check the fuses for the ECM and make sure none of them are bad. If they are all good looks like your out of a car for the weekend and the ECM is going back to APR on monday. Good luck.

bigcfromcinci
03-11-2006, 11:20 AM
The CEL didn't come on the first time they sent my ECU back,BUT it still ran.
I never thought to check the fuses.

thanks

*edit* their is no fuse for the ecu.At least I didn't see one in the manual.

drlandry00
03-11-2006, 01:17 PM
does your cel and EPC light come on at the ON position? like right before you start your car. if not then it is a program or ecu problem..

juju4uofa
03-11-2006, 05:15 PM
Yea, also watch to see if the CEL flickers. With the key in the on position reach around and tap on the ECU and see if the CEL flickers. Happened to me!

drlandry00
03-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by juju4uofa
tap on the ECU and see if the CEL flickers.

fuckin wack it with a Hammer!!!

its an old cure all...

A4 - Oh Snap
03-11-2006, 05:54 PM
Is your battery dead?

bigcfromcinci
03-12-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by drlandry00
does your cel and EPC light come on at the ON position? like right before you start your car. if not then it is a program or ecu problem..
I'm sure it's the ecu, the cel doesn't come on when you first turn the key over.

The battery's not dead...it will crank over forever but not start.

Whats weird is it started & ran the first time I got the ecu back & the cel wasn't coming on then either when I went to start it..

thanks for all the help..I'll just contact Keith at APR tomorow morning*sigh*

Burntaudi
03-12-2006, 10:58 AM
It might be a cold solder joint. I had simular problems with a GIAC chip a few years ago. It turns out that one the prongs going to the circuit board didn't have good contact and it had to be resoldered.

bigcfromcinci
03-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Burntaudi
It might be a cold solder joint. I had simular problems with a GIAC chip a few years ago. It turns out that one the prongs going to the circuit board didn't have good contact and it had to be resoldered.
I hope that's all it is.Seems funny though for it to happen 2 times in one week.
I'm sure they'll take care of it..they've always been great in the past. [a4]