PDA

View Full Version : Cup kits



michelob13
03-08-2006, 11:12 AM
I've been doing a lot of research on a suspension setup for my B5 2.8 Fronttrak. I mostly want a good looking drop with a still compliant ride, not too harsh. I'm not concerned about track-car handling or the such....so I've pretty much ruled out coilovers due to price. I'm looking to spend between $500-$600.

I've read some good things, but mostly bad things about H&R's cup kit, matched springs and shocks. They seem to give a nice drop, but it's the ride I'm concerned about. Anybody with first hand experience and/or pictures? I welcome opinions and suggestions!!

Thanks.

jeremy@matrix
03-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by michelob13
I've been doing a lot of research on a suspension setup for my B5 2.8 Fronttrak. I mostly want a good looking drop with a still compliant ride, not too harsh. I'm not concerned about track-car handling or the such....so I've pretty much ruled out coilovers due to price. I'm looking to spend between $500-$600.

I've read some good things, but mostly bad things about H&R's cup kit, matched springs and shocks. They seem to give a nice drop, but it's the ride I'm concerned about. Anybody with first hand experience and/or pictures? I welcome opinions and suggestions!!

Thanks.

We don't sell them only because while they do offer a nice drop, the ride is not congruent with the other fine suspensions we sell (STaSIS).

Unfortunately we've found many of H&R's products to be oversprung and underdamped, resulting in a pogo-ing/porpoising ride. It kind of makes you sea-sick. [:(]

Why not look at a set of sport springs for now (although I would HIGHLY recommend you spend a bit more and get aftermarket dampers as well as by using just sport springs, your stock dampers will fail soon.

michelob13
03-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by jeremy@matrix
We don't sell them only because while they do offer a nice drop, the ride is not congruent with the other fine suspensions we sell (STaSIS).

Unfortunately we've found many of H&R's products to be oversprung and underdamped, resulting in a pogo-ing/porpoising ride. It kind of makes you sea-sick. [:(]

Why not look at a set of sport springs for now (although I would HIGHLY recommend you spend a bit more and get aftermarket dampers as well as by using just sport springs, your stock dampers will fail soon.

Thanks for the suggestion, Jeremy! I have actually thought about doing that, but I hear a distinct clunking, especially over speedbumps, that leads me to believe my stockers are on the verge of failure as it is. And I'm trying to time this so I can do it all at once (I'm doing my tie rod ends, brake rotors, pads, etc. in a few weekends). I'd hate to put some new springs on and have to go right back in there a month or so later [:D]

jeremy@matrix
03-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by michelob13
Thanks for the suggestion, Jeremy! I have actually thought about doing that, but I hear a distinct clunking, especially over speedbumps, that leads me to believe my stockers are on the verge of failure as it is. And I'm trying to time this so I can do it all at once (I'm doing my tie rod ends, brake rotors, pads, etc. in a few weekends). I'd hate to put some new springs on and have to go right back in there a month or so later [:D]

Regarding the clunk, I would look at the strut bearings first. Or, possibly you have a bad control arm (more likely).

LMK if we can help with anything.

michelob13
03-21-2006, 09:49 AM
I replaced my TRE's this weekend and that seemed to help with the sound a little bit. The steering is certainly much more responsive. My OE ends were BAD!!

If not the H&R kit, how about the suspension "kits" that arent' full on coilovers? e.g. Vogtland, Koni, etc.

jeremy@matrix
03-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by michelob13
I replaced my TRE's this weekend and that seemed to help with the sound a little bit. The steering is certainly much more responsive. My OE ends were BAD!!

If not the H&R kit, how about the suspension "kits" that arent' full on coilovers? e.g. Vogtland, Koni, etc.

Ah, we always see vehicles come in with bad TRE's (and control arms; both clunk).

Unfortunately we haven't used any of the other kits besides Bilstein/H&R, Koni/Eibach; standard damper/spring combos....which are ok.

But the issue we have seen with those is that regarding ride height, you're stuck. Yes, you can get the grooved Bilstein's to aid in raising/lowering a bit, but still to some degree, it's not as flexible as a coilover is.