PDA

View Full Version : clutch questions.....

Eurotuned_A4
03-06-2006, 08:50 PM
right now i have a spec stage 3 clutch and it slips with my new found power, but only when i try to launch it. so im looking at getting a southbend clutch in the next few months, possibly evne later down the road. its not really that big of a deal since i dont launch while normal driving, but i just would really like to launch my car since i know the power is there to do it now. right now im just trying to figure out if a southbend clutch would work with my SPEC lightweight flywheel. does it even matter?

18T
03-06-2006, 08:53 PM
have you looked at ECS clutches? stage 2 and 3 are pretty awesome.

i have the stage 2

Eurotuned_A4
03-06-2006, 08:56 PM
not really, i just want to go southbend. they seem to be handling big powered set ups well. i want to get something i know can handle it. anyways, before i buy a clutch i will be going with an ECS big brake kit though......thats why it will be a while until i get another clutch. i just want to get my research done now.

BranCKY3
03-06-2006, 09:19 PM
How are you launching it? Like what rpm, slipping or dropping, etc.

Eurotuned_A4
03-06-2006, 09:29 PM
somewhere between 4000 and 5000 rpm. i could do it higher, but i dont think i need to. ive tried it with dropping and slipping a little, but either way the clutch will slip. it feels like it doesnt grab 2nd at all after 1st. sometimes it will grab, but most of the time it wont. i think it has to due with the way i drove the clutch at first so it wouldnt make the loud annoying sound ive talked about before. when i drive normal and downshift and hit the gas, there are no problems. i even let my stepdad give it a try and it slips on him to. ive only tried launching a few times, but the clutch is definately the problem. its very noticable inside and outside the car that its slipping. you can hear me hit the gas and the rpms will climb, but the car doesnt really move. it just keeps coasting from the momentum of 1st gear. BTW, i should have specified that it was mainly after i got into 2nd that the slipping occurs. it does it a tiny in 1st, but big time in 2nd.

maybe i could try launching another way. any suggestions?

BranCKY3
03-06-2006, 09:34 PM
From what I've read it's a bad idea to slip the clutch at all with a BT. Maybe you're getting on the gas too soon while shifting to 2nd?

Eurotuned_A4
03-06-2006, 09:45 PM
i dont think im getting on the gas to soon. i could try to be a little slower tomorrow, but im sure its not the case. it could be though. its not like ive had a powerful enough set up to launch my quattro before. ill try it out tomorrow and see what happens.

i only tried the slipping style once after it didnt work when i dropped it, but that got me nowhere.

lovintheboost
03-07-2006, 03:28 AM
ya make sure you get the one designed to work with the lwfw i made that mistake and my clutch with about 6k miles on it is being swaped out next week

BarryT82
03-07-2006, 04:57 AM
Hey Rob, call Andy at SBC. He knows his stuff.

94jedi
03-07-2006, 07:24 AM
^ yep, best advice.

Don Supreme
03-07-2006, 07:41 AM
So far my Southbend is great... After 1000 miles break in, I did one launch. I dropped the clutch at almost 6k .....

The back wheels spun a little and the car was goooonnnnnnee.

What I like most is the pedal and engagement feel. It is pretty close to stock.

illbill
03-07-2006, 08:13 AM
good to hear. UPS just dropped off my OFE SS. But damn, 1000 miles break in, that's going to be tough to stay out of boost for that long.

Originally posted by Don Supreme
So far my Southbend is great... After 1000 miles break in, I did one launch. I dropped the clutch at almost 6k .....

The back wheels spun a little and the car was goooonnnnnnee.

What I like most is the pedal and engagement feel. It is pretty close to stock.

onemoremile
03-07-2006, 09:06 AM
the clutch isn't much fun to drive during break in either. it grabs very hard and isn't very progressive. it takes a while to get that stock-ish felling back.

euro - have you tried launching on a wet road? i would just stop and spin the tires for 20 feet or so and see if it holds that.

Eurotuned_A4
03-07-2006, 12:33 PM
not on a wet road. its wet out today so ill give it a try.

its a 1000 mile break in for the southbend clutches.......that sucks. i guess it would only take like a month. or i could just drive a lot during the break in. ill try some more stuff with my SPEC and see how it works out. it would be nice if it waws driver error. that means i wouldnt have to spend money on something i already have....lol.

onemoremile
03-07-2006, 04:24 PM
i had about 500 miles on mine and did a track day. it was just fine. it has over 10k miles on it now.

Don Supreme
03-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Well 500 is probably enough, but I just didn't want to launch the car until I got close to 1K.

I only launch if I have a planned race. I don't just launch from lights for shits and giggles.. hahha

bitterchild
03-09-2006, 03:52 AM
boo SPEC boo

A4euro
03-09-2006, 06:57 AM
ask Andy at Southbend about the Rally SS version (not listed). That's what I have w/ my true gt2871r setup and it holds big power and after 1000 miles or so it goes back to near a stock feel on the pedal.

BarryT82
03-09-2006, 07:16 AM
That's because you get used to the pedal feel.

93///318
03-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by BarryT82
i hope so, i wouldnt wanna get a performance clutch that ends up feeling like the stock one. [confused]
im planning on getting an ofe ss sometime soon

94jedi
03-10-2006, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by BarryT82

yep, muscle memory. if anyone questions this, go get in a stock clutch A4 and see the difference.

94jedi
03-10-2006, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Don Supreme
I don't just launch from lights for shits and giggles.. hahha

you're missing out man[drive]

andy@sbc
03-10-2006, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Eurotuned_A4
right now i have a spec stage 3 clutch and it slips with my new found power, but only when i try to launch it. so im looking at getting a southbend clutch in the next few months, possibly evne later down the road. its not really that big of a deal since i dont launch while normal driving, but i just would really like to launch my car since i know the power is there to do it now. right now im just trying to figure out if a southbend clutch would work with my SPEC lightweight flywheel. does it even matter? There have been some problems using spec L/W flywheel with our spring loaded disc because it interferes with the flywheel to crank bolts. Same with Fidanza.

I don't want to sell a unsprung disc with a L/W flywheel because of the long term damage to the tranny.

Input on this issue would be helpful.

Has anyone used a Sout Bend with a Spec L/W flywheel?

Eurotuned_A4
03-10-2006, 11:03 AM
well guys, it was wet out and i decided to spin the tires yesterday. i waited a good amount of time to shift into 2nd and it didnt slip. i havent been able to do it again, but im gonna give it a try this weekand when its dry outside.

thanks andy...

Sean@unitronic
03-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Eurotuned_A4
well guys, it was wet out and i decided to spin the tires yesterday. i waited a good amount of time to shift into 2nd and it didnt slip. i havent been able to do it again, but im gonna give it a try this weekand when its dry outside.

thanks andy...

It is possible your flywheel may be glazed a little. don't beat on it for about 100miles and try a launch again.

If you are changing your clutch again, consider Clutchnet as well. I have the stage 4 red PP and 6 puck sprung disc in my GTI and it holds like a mofo with my 2871R. the engagment isn't that harsh for a six puck and very streetable......just my $.02

Eurotuned_A4
03-10-2006, 04:50 PM
it depends if i do change it out. ill try launching more and watch my lead foot with the gas and see how it goes. i really dont want to change it out....althought the sound it makes is almost good enough for me to switch it out. the squel it makes gets annoying, but i can drive it so it doesnt really do it anymore. thanks for the info sean.