PDA

View Full Version : My RS5 brake rotors have large lips – are they shot?

forbiddenbeat
03-04-2019, 12:04 PM
I picked up a used RS5 about a month ago, and unfortunately didn't get a PPI. I just noticed the front and rear rotors both have a decent-sized lip (probably close to 1mm). Are they shot? I'm getting an inspection soon, but the dealer I purchased from checked off during their inspection that the brakes were fine. If they weren't, I need to complain.

I can get a pic, but curious if any sort of lip probably means they are gone.

fR3ZNO
03-04-2019, 12:18 PM
They were probably right above the wear limit and the dealer checked it off. ECS lists the thickness at 34mm (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/front-brake-rotors-pair-365x34/8t0615301kt/)and if you look closely at the rotor hat it states the minimum thickness (32.4mm) allowed before needing to replace: https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/637129_x800.jpg

So if there's a 1mm lip at each side... you're at 32mm which would mean they need to be replaced.

forbiddenbeat
03-04-2019, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the info. I suppose I'll just have to get them checked, and unfortunately it's unlikely the dealer I purchased from (Nissan) will do anything about it. I suppose I'll ask right away to see how they react.

tans8701
03-04-2019, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the info. I suppose I'll just have to get them checked, and unfortunately it's unlikely the dealer I purchased from (Nissan) will do anything about it. I suppose I'll ask right away to see how they react.

Hi, how many miles has the car done?

AWDfreak
03-04-2019, 05:41 PM
How much pad left? If the rotors are ok otherwise, you might want to wait until the pads are ready for replacement then replace the rotors at the same time.

forbiddenbeat
03-05-2019, 07:10 AM
The car has 66k miles, but brakes were replaced at 45k.

tans8701
03-05-2019, 12:37 PM
at 66k i would imagine front disks will almost certainly been changed before, and a second change around 65k sounds about right, the rear disks have either lasted quite a while or they have already been changed once before in which case that is quick for the rears but not extraordinary.

The only way to genuinely check is to get a micrometer but you'd probably want to take the wheel off, especially where 0.5mm which is virtually nothing can translate into 8/12000 miles

front pads after 20k is quite typical

forbiddenbeat
03-05-2019, 12:49 PM
OK good to know. Both fronts and rears were replaced, but 20k average is good to know.

The question is whether I can go back to the dealer and complain. I'm guessing they'll just say, yeah...sorry. It was a Nissan dealer and the car was a local trade, so likely they don't really care about appeasing an Audi customer.

tans8701
03-05-2019, 01:01 PM
Unlikely I'm afraid if it was audi you might have had some luck but i doubt nissan would carry out the work themselves unless they have some3rd party agreement, disks are not cheap especially if you stick to oem wavy rotors (which i'd advise), if you find the disks do need changing make sure you change the pads as well regardless of how much life they have, let us know how the inspection goes...
would be good to see some pics as well if you have them close to hand thanks

superswiss
03-05-2019, 06:08 PM
The OEM rotors are rather soft. The fronts won't last you 66k miles, so they must have been replaced before or the previous owner drove like a grandma or mostly did highway miles with little braking. The rears can last for over 60k miles. I went through 2 sets of rear pads (1 OEM, 1 aftermarket) before I ended up replacing the rear rotors. They were down about 1 mm when I replaced them with aftermarket rotors. The fronts I replaced around 24k miles when the OEM front pads were worn down. Replaced them with aftermarket rotors and pads. I'm now on the second set of pads on the aftermarket front rotors and am about to hit 70k miles on the car. So at this point I'm on the third set of front pads, and second set of front rotors, second set of rear pads and rotors. The aftermarket front rotors had barely any wear when I put the current set of pads on and the pads are now about 50% worn, rear pads are still around 75% left.

I would consider going aftermarket. You can get better parts for less money. My current setup is kind of the highlight of my car at the moment. I have the ECS tru-float rotors front and back with Hawk HPS 5.0 pads. I also put in SS lines in the front and I'm using upgraded fluid, but the rotors and pads are probably the best part. I had the regular Hawk HPS before, but the 5.0 are a step up. They are pretty awesome, albeit make a bit of noise sometimes at very low speeds, but nothing crazy. Kinda expected from performance brakes.

Don't expect a Nissan dealer to do anything about it. If it was a CPO from an Audi dealer then they most likely would have had to replace them in order to get the car certified.

r2dego
03-06-2019, 07:56 AM
I have 49K on my 2014 rs5. My brake warning light came on right after I had my yearly service (3 months ago). I also have a lip and will be replacing with OEM rotors and the Hawk HPS 5.0 (front and back)
My mechanic told me that i had enough pad left (3 months ago) and that the sensor is probably touching the lip. But I will changing them in a few weeks.

11S5V8
03-06-2019, 09:41 AM
large lips are usually referred to as a moose knuckle

tans8701
03-06-2019, 10:13 AM
I have 49K on my 2014 rs5. My brake warning light came on right after I had my yearly service (3 months ago). I also have a lip and will be replacing with OEM rotors and the Hawk HPS 5.0 (front and back)
My mechanic told me that i had enough pad left (3 months ago) and that the sensor is probably touching the lip. But I will changing them in a few weeks.

is this disks for the rear? if so when did you change the front?

r2dego
03-07-2019, 12:09 PM
both rear and front, they both have lips. brought the car when it had 35K. first time i am changing the brakes

tans8701
03-08-2019, 11:15 AM
both rear and front, they both have lips. brought the car when it had 35K. first time i am changing the brakes

Ok so second change with the front disks and first change for the rears? what made you go hawks over oem?

r2dego
03-11-2019, 01:18 PM
trying them out, i have been reading the threads and seems like the ones everyone is recommending

forbiddenbeat
03-11-2019, 02:17 PM
My plan is ECS wave rotors + Hawk HPS 5.0 if they need to replaced.

rnp614
03-11-2019, 06:14 PM
My plan is ECS wave rotors + Hawk HPS 5.0 if they need to replaced.

This is what I had the dealer I purchased my RS from do and non regrets. Look great, work great, less dust.

sa1977
03-15-2019, 05:04 PM
Regards the Hawk HPS 5.0, I found a note by ECS says these rear pads com without sensors. It needs a bypass. Was it a problem for one of you who installed it?

I went for ECS Set of Rotors and OEM pads on order now. I figured it would not be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

superswiss
03-15-2019, 06:24 PM
Regards the Hawk HPS 5.0, I found a note by ECS says these rear pads com without sensors. It needs a bypass. Was it a problem for one of you who installed it?

I went for ECS Set of Rotors and OEM pads on order now. I figured it would not be an issue.

Correct, the rear Hawk pads have no sensor. It's not a problem. Simple bypass does the trick. Rear sensors aren't very common in the first place. A5 and S5 have no rear sensor. I believe many aftermarket pads don't have a sensor for the rear. The fronts do most of the braking. If you wanna be safe, just change the rear pads as well once the fronts are worn, or alternatively keep an eye on the remaining pad thickness. Nowadays it's part of the PDI when getting the car serviced. Both my dealer and Indy give me a PDI report with the condition of the brakes and tires among other things.

sa1977
03-16-2019, 04:19 PM
Thanks, it sounds easy. For this time I went for the OEM, next time I might consider the Hawk.

Ape Factory
03-16-2019, 06:01 PM
Consider EBC Reds too. No noise and little dust. I've been pretty impressed with them.

ICU2
03-16-2019, 06:51 PM
Followed superswiss on this one & duplicated his break set up. Spot on evaluation/review regarding feel vs. OEM. Just couldn’t justify the OEM cost, performance, longevity vs. ECS or Griodisc, YMMV. None of them are “bad” just a choice all RS5 owners will eventually face if you own/drive it long enough. TEHO.