PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning black RS5 exhaust tips

Dlau
02-08-2019, 11:17 AM
For those of you with the RS5 Black oval exhaust tips, what do you guys use to clean it?

AsherAudi
02-08-2019, 02:03 PM
I just use Meguiars Quick Detailer and a cleaning rag - always a lot of carbon soot on the bottom of it...

Dlau
02-08-2019, 03:32 PM
Hmm.. it doesnt come off with car wash for me, I do have some adams detail spray though... I've seen people polish it, but that's for aluminum tips. I'm just afraid of messing them up.

AsherAudi
02-08-2019, 04:43 PM
Hmm.. it doesnt come off with car wash for me, I do have some adams detail spray though... I've seen people polish it, but that's for aluminum tips. I'm just afraid of messing them up.

QuckDetailer works on everything - interior, plastic trim, wheels, paint etc - so its strong enough to work but not too harsh to where it causes issues - Ive scrubbed them with those rough white rags and rubbed hard with no adverse effects ever so dont worry about wearing off the black finish - unless you use some type of harsh chemical or a wiry brush vs rag...

Dlau
02-08-2019, 08:58 PM
Gotcha, Thanks!

JamesRS5
02-09-2019, 08:07 AM
A non corrosive wheel cleaner will work nicely on the tailpipes.

dmsquattro
02-15-2019, 06:06 AM
Adams wheel cleaner and surprisingly, Eagle One 'Never-Dull' wadding.

Dlau
02-15-2019, 11:33 AM
Thanks guys! I'll check it out this weekend, my exhausts are caked on with crap lol

BuyTheWarranty
02-15-2019, 04:48 PM
I use SOS pads for cleaning the tips on out of the inside lip, works a treat.

Overall, my black tips are pitted and need to be repainted. I donít want to take the bumper off, I might try some touch up paint and tape off the bumper, should look ok!

jordan65
02-16-2019, 10:34 PM
I use SOS pads for cleaning the tips on out of the inside lip, works a treat.

Overall, my black tips are pitted and need to be repainted. I donít want to take the bumper off, I might try some touch up paint and tape off the bumper, should look ok!

I had the same pitting marks on my tips too, ended up just taking it to a shop and had them powder coated gloss black instead of the flat black which turned out very nice. From what i remember its not a very hard task taking the bumper off.

JamesRS5
02-16-2019, 11:22 PM
I'm not entirely sure you need to remove the bumper to get the tips off, I had access to them when I removed the lower trim of the rear diffuser, it might be enough room to wiggle them past the exhaust pipe?

jordan65
02-17-2019, 04:26 PM
I'm not entirely sure you need to remove the bumper to get the tips off, I had access to them when I removed the lower trim of the rear diffuser, it might be enough room to wiggle them past the exhaust pipe?

Yes you're right, the rear diffuser part is what i meant not the entire bumper, i should have clarified that.