PDA

View Full Version : Rear Driveline clunk when accelerating while moving and are 97/01 rear driveshaftsame

Jku16
01-07-2019, 12:19 PM
I am experiencing a rear Driveline clunk (barely audible inside Abit more noticeable outside) this happens with slightly more aggressive acceleration while already at speed (the clunk does not happen no matter how hard I accelerate if I'm at a stand still) I am assuming it is the rear driveshafts? I am very open to others opinions though if you might know what it is. My second question is since I have a 1997 A4 2.8 auto with Quattro I was wondering if that rear driveshafts is compatible with my 2001 A4 2.8 auto with Quattro. Thanks in advance for the help!

walky_talky20
01-09-2019, 01:45 PM
The clunk could be your differential mount. The nose of the diff can actually hit the floor if the front mount gets sloppy enough. It can also be excessive backlash within the rear diff itself. This seems to be sort of common on aging B5's in general. You can of course check the CV joints for play as well. On an older car there is likely a combination of all of those things. I will say that the inner joint on the Left Hand rear axle is probably the highest failure rate of the rear CV joints. This is due to it's proximity to the exhaust pipe. Tends to bake the grease.

The rear axles are all the same on quattro B5's, except the S4's which use larger inner joints (108 instead of the 100mm joints). Even then you just swap the axle cups and everything works.