PDA

View Full Version : Rotor Replacement when Renewing Brake Pads

Phoenixfig
01-02-2019, 12:49 PM
I just took my 2015 S5 in for service to the Audi dealership, it has AudiCare and is a CPO vehicle I purchased after lease return. It has about 36,600 miles and was due for the 45,000 mile service because of time. During the service it was noted that the front brake pads were worn down to about 4mm and the backs were around 6mm. My service rep indicated that I would get a brake failure notification once there was further sufficient wear on the front pads. They were kind enough to quote me a price to replace the fronts only and the whole system. I was shocked at the price, total was $2,098.57 with the front estimated to be $1,289.17. I suggested the cost was ridiculous and was told that the rotors had to be replaced when pads were done due to the soft metal alloys used in the rotors. I have two questions:

1. Is the replacement of the rotors really necessary when replacing the pads?

2. If I take it to be repaired elsewhere, will this void anything in the warranty or AudiCare?

Thanks for any insight,

Rick

Skyler@Achtuning
01-02-2019, 01:25 PM
Your brake wear is a little bit faster than normal, we usually see brakes around every 50k for an S car. Pricing sounds like dealer normal which is to say an independent shop will likely be substantially less. We do that work for a bit under $1,100 with OE equivalent aftermarket parts from good suppliers. The rotors are almost always replaced at the same time the pads are, the rotor minimum thickness is only 2mm from the thickness they are when new. Having the brakes replaced at an independent shop should not cause any difficulties with the dealership or Audi (as long as the shop is not grossly negligent I suppose). Try reaching out to FS Tuning European Autowerks in Orlando at 407-278-7929 to see what they can quote you. Hope this helps!

Phoenixfig
01-03-2019, 03:44 AM
Thanks for your help!

11S5V8
01-03-2019, 06:30 AM
Any chance in doing it yourself? I did my 2011 and it was stupid easy. All in, rotors and pads I was at $330, upgraded fronts to a drilled/slotted style and did Hawk pads.

Phoenixfig
01-03-2019, 06:56 AM
I have watched a few videos on YouTube and it looks pretty straightforward. I am thinking of doing it myself, I understand with an electronic parking brake there is a special computer that needs to be plugged in to retract the rear cylinders. That makes me apprehensive. Are you happy with the rotors and pads, are they the Hawk ceramics and what kind of rotors?

11S5V8
01-03-2019, 07:38 AM
Hawk Ceramics, rotors are an ECS product https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/front-cross-drilled-slotted-brake-rotors-pair-345x30/8k0301mxsgmtlra/ I think any VAGCOM will work to retract the rear calipers for parking break. Only gripe is I wish the bite was a little harder on the fronts but overall satisfied for the price honestly.

Phoenixfig
01-03-2019, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the help, I may try to do it myself.

AWDfreak
01-07-2019, 04:20 PM
Just another attempted rip-off from an Audi Stealer.

It is highly unlikely you need new rotors at 36k miles. This is just a slimy game many repair shops play telling you they must be replaced with new pads--just bull crap. If they are worn down, warped, or deeply grooved then yes, but not likely in your case if that was not noted. I have 40k+ miles on mine and they are in perfect condition and will likely go to twice that mileage without an issue.

If you don't want to do it yourself, then find an independent, reputable shop. If they say you must replace the rotors for no good reason, find another shop...