PDA

View Full Version : RS5 Engine Drop for Headers

Omers5
12-06-2018, 02:05 PM
Hey guys,

I'm about 3 weeks into receiving my 2013 RS5 and, while I love the car very much, it can definitely use a bump in performance. Which is why I was looking at possible modifications.

One of which is headers. Headers need the engine to be pulled, from what I understand. Is it possible to pull the engine from the top, instead of dropping it from the bottom (which probably requires a lift and not just using a jack+jackstands because of the monstrosity that is the transmission)? Do you guys suggest any way of dropping the engine that doesn't require a lift?

sorry if this is a dumb question, I dug around the forum and tried to find a thread on this, so I apologize if I overlooked one.

Thanks in advance

AsherAudi
12-06-2018, 05:03 PM
We just want to know where did you actually find a set of headers?? Kline discontinued their amazing ones and Fabspeed was looking at making some but that seems dead in the water - JHM also said they'd "look into it" seriously but wouldnt make them if the power gains were not enough to offset the cost of the engine drop.

Ape Factory
12-06-2018, 06:24 PM
Look into a tune and exhaust (I suggest JH Motorsports) first. As Asher said, no one is making headers currently and it is an excruciating process pulling the engine. I'm sure you could do it from the top but you would, as you know, need to separate the transmission from the engine. It's doable. You'd basically take off the entire front of the car including the bumper, crash bar, radiator support, radiators, fans, etc...that'll expose the entire front of the engine help facilitate removal. It's really not a casual job by any means and I'd actually suggest a professional do it with the proper tools.

The only option we really have at this point is to take a used set of RS5 headers, cut off the cats and weld on a connecting pipe that you can attach to the OEM downpipes. No bueno for the environment or if you have emissions laws. It'll also be really, really loud. The V8 R8 guys are doing this now so find a set quick, LOL. They (R8) apparently make 40hp with this mod as the OEM headers are actually pretty decent given the space limitations.

Omers5
12-06-2018, 11:13 PM
We just want to know where did you actually find a set of headers?? Kline discontinued their amazing ones and Fabspeed was looking at making some but that seems dead in the water - JHM also said they'd "look into it" seriously but wouldnt make them if the power gains were not enough to offset the cost of the engine drop.

Wow, I actually didn't know Kline stopped making those headers, was seriously looking into them... I didn't find any headers, and I guess I won't now haha this question was just meant as a hypothetical
And yeah, I would like to avoid engine drops to the best of my ability

Look into a tune and exhaust (I suggest JH Motorsports) first. As Asher said, no one is making headers currently and it is an excruciating process pulling the engine. I'm sure you could do it from the top but you would, as you know, need to separate the transmission from the engine. It's doable. You'd basically take off the entire front of the car including the bumper, crash bar, radiator support, radiators, fans, etc...that'll expose the entire front of the engine help facilitate removal. It's really not a casual job by any means and I'd actually suggest a professional do it with the proper tools.

The only option we really have at this point is to take a used set of RS5 headers, cut off the cats and weld on a connecting pipe that you can attach to the OEM downpipes. No bueno for the environment or if you have emissions laws. It'll also be really, really loud. The V8 R8 guys are doing this now so find a set quick, LOL. They (R8) apparently make 40hp with this mod as the OEM headers are actually pretty decent given the space limitations.

40 hp just by doing that? thats pretty insane... And in regards to JHM, I definitely am getting their exhaust and tune (and hopefully their supercharger kit [evilmad]), and would be more than happy to throw in some JHM headers, but from what I read on random threads, seems like they're content with the rest of the exhaust system they alreaady created, especially because of the engine drop requirement for headers.

Anyways, I guess the original question is useless because I'd rather not modify stock RS5 headers, and no other headers are available.

Thank you both for the answers, seems like you guys know more than me about this stuff so time for another off-topic question... Do you think an RS5 would pass emissions with stock headers and JHM downpipes + catbacks? or is my car going to be permanently made into a track day car hahaha

JamesRS5
12-07-2018, 06:07 AM
The cats are part of the stock headers so all emission control is done before the downpipe, youíll be absolutely fine.

Ape Factory
12-07-2018, 07:46 AM
Some states have visual inspection like California and aftermarket equipment doesnít pass without a CARB exemption. Donít know what the rules are in NY.