PDA

View Full Version : 5 year rebuild no start

street2gen
11-11-2018, 06:46 PM
Took forever at rebuilding a 99 a4 just no ambition at working on the car as nobody needed it.
But nevertheless its now finally finished. It wont start, cranks but doesnt seem to be getting fuel.
fuel pump fuse is good swapped relay with known good relay, swapped ecu with known good.
fuel pump has no power at connector. check engine light does not come on when key in on position.
one very odd thing is that the mileage on the dash is showing 14141414, which leads me to believe is the problem somehow but what??
Any ideas. We have a full A4 that just had trans go thats over 300k and we are using parts for so i have doubles of everything to swap around but its getting old.

VinnysS4
11-11-2018, 06:48 PM
If the check engine light does not come on, you have a no communication with the ecu issue. Start by checking the grounds and any main engine relays.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

street2gen
11-11-2018, 07:09 PM
If the check engine light does not come on, you have a no communication with the ecu issue. Start by checking the grounds and any main engine relays.

what all grounds are there?

B3trayus
11-11-2018, 07:29 PM
what all grounds are there?Firewall, under/ behind the coolant reservoir, then passenger frame rail.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

street2gen
11-11-2018, 08:41 PM
Firewall, under/ behind the coolant reservoir, then passenger frame rail.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

thanks, will check would this all be related to the weird dash mileage as well, cause that just seems really odd.

VinnysS4
11-11-2018, 08:54 PM
Bad grounds do weird things. It may be something else, but id eliminate a bad ground or power to the ecu first

zandrew
11-11-2018, 09:23 PM
I had a very similar issue, ended up being the fuel pump.

I could not rationalize how it was the fuel pump but after pounding my head into a wall trying everything but it I bought a cheap Amazon fuel pump and installed it. Car fired right up. I think I paid like $12 for the pump.

zandrew
11-11-2018, 09:46 PM
There is the fuel pump fuse and there is another fuse that goes to the ecu. 28 and 29 I believe. Check both fuses and then check if they have power coming to them. If they do move down the line to the next.

Also when you swapped ecu, did you swap like for like? The letter on the end matters.

street2gen
11-12-2018, 04:19 AM
There is the fuel pump fuse and there is another fuse that goes to the ecu. 28 and 29 I believe. Check both fuses and then check if they have power coming to them. If they do move down the line to the next.

Also when you swapped ecu, did you swap like for like? The letter on the end matters.

We are going to check every fuse and swap all the relays after work. I believe i did double check ecu but i will again. Also grabbing vag com cable and see if ecu will communicate but im guessing no with the cel not coming on.
There is no immobilizer on these correct?

VinnysS4
11-12-2018, 04:25 AM
Immo won't make the cel not illuminate. Only a no com issue

street2gen
11-12-2018, 06:28 PM
One of the ECU fuses was missing, probably pulled it way back when when pulling the motor.
We got it running then shut if off to check for leaks then went to start again and it won't run now. It wants to fire but only barely. Drained all the fuel going to replace that fuel filter as well because we have it then put in fresh gas and see.
Immo won't make the cel not illuminate. Only a no com issue

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk