PDA

View Full Version : Polydrive or triple square?

RoudiAudee
10-28-2018, 07:40 AM
Is there any way to know if my head bolts are polydrive or triple square without taking the valve cover off? I've got a 99.5 b5 with 228000 miles on it and is starting to burn coolant internally, so that means new head gasket. I want the car out of commission for as little time as possible so I'm trying to get everything bought before I get into the project. Can I tell from the vin or the sticker in the trunk?

Turbo_B5
10-28-2018, 08:31 AM
call the dealer with vin, get headbolt part number, check google or FUCKECS for pics of the partnumber to figure out what drive. But you are probably gonna be tripple square as my AEB was that.

Blazius
10-28-2018, 08:32 AM
Head gasket ? Are you sure, it is said that head gaskets are bulletproof on 1.8 engines, are you sure that you are not leaking coolant somewhere else? Also taking off the VC literally takes 5 mins :P.

Turbo_B5
10-28-2018, 08:33 AM
if you are mixing coolant n oil it is gonna be at the oil cooler and not the head gasket fwiw.

RoudiAudee
10-28-2018, 10:29 AM
Glad I came here first. I'm due soon enough for an oil change so I'll check for coolant when I do it. At this mileage I figure a few seals and gaskets are ready to be replaced. Kinda just assumed it was the head.