PDA

View Full Version : Transmission / paddle shift questions

Wooshy
10-25-2018, 10:15 AM
Does anyone know of a way to add paddle shifters? I can think of a few mechanical ways but would it be possible to run a cable from the gear shift to a paddle to shift gears? Im just curious because i drive on a lot of hills and just having the ability to leave the transmission in the upper gear on small hills would save me some gas on a daily basis, if its possible to paddle shift these cars ide like to. 1.8t aeb automatic b5

wolfe2118
10-26-2018, 06:38 AM
You may want to elaborate on your needs, what you are asking makes no sense.

Let me try to understand...you want to add a manual lever onto your steering column to shift your manual transmission?
You have a non-tiptronic automatic car and you want tiptronic buttons on your steering wheel?

Both are doable but as most people will tell you is probably not worth the time and money involved.

walky_talky20
10-29-2018, 02:53 PM
This thread may be helpful:
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/190401-DIY-B5-A4-1-8T-Adding-Tiptronic-to-a-97-A4

But yes. Wires exist that will shift the gears up and down. You can add whatever kind of switch you want. Toggle switches on the dashboard, even.

*Theoretically* you could even repurpose your headlight "Flash" switch and your windshield "washer jet" switch and make the car shift gears up or down when you pull back on those stalks. That would be crazy, but anything is possible.

Wooshy
10-31-2018, 02:19 PM
awesome, Thanks walky!