PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler cores... Any reputable company that makes a WIDE 2.5" core?

b5v6
10-13-2018, 12:30 PM
First, I would like to note I am not using a stock A4 bumper.

I need some help locating an intercooler core. I've been searching for months but I guess my ideal dimensions are extremely unique.

My dilemma is I want an intercooler that sits below the crashbar, so max height has to be below 8 inches. To compensate for this, and lack of volume, I would like a wide intercooler. The biggest restrictions are my aftermarket aluminum radiator that eats up an additional 3/4" of space, and the Rieger bumper tapering backwards as it extends down. I believe I can fit a 3" core with trimming, so I prefer to go with 2.5" core for extra cushion.

My ideal plan would be to use a core along the lines of 30" wide (+/-), that way the custom fab'd end tanks will extend beyond the lock carrier (radiator support). With this concept the the end tanks will be fab'd up similar to the design of current gen Ford Fiesta aftermarket intercoolers so I can eliminate the need for 90* silicone elbows on each side, and maintain a 2.5 inlet/outlet without them being wider than the intercooler.

Here's a link to the Fiesta intercooler for an idea of end tank design:
https://www.cjponyparts.com/cobb-front-mount-intercooler-fiesta-st-2014-2018/p/702502/?year=2018&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgP_tvY-E3gIVhICfCh3RgQtTEAQYAyABEgKWxvD_BwE

The widest intercooler core I could find with such a shallow depth was by Bell (2.25) but it is only available with a max width of 22". This would require some really long end tanks to widen the completed intercooler (end tank to end tank) beyond the width of the lock carrier.

I could really use some help locating a core with suitable dimensions. I think the perfect core would be would be 30"x7.5"x2.5". Also, let me know if you see any flaws with this idea (aside from monetary)?

430hps4
10-13-2018, 12:54 PM
Treadstone offers a nice variety of sizes

Avant Nate
10-15-2018, 04:53 PM
Treadstone Tr18t

b5v6
10-16-2018, 10:29 AM
Treadstone cores are 3.5" with exception to the TR18T, which is out of stock. Additionally, I put in a simple request and they responded without an answer to my question. It will require me to trim the crash bar so I pretty much moved on from the idea of a TR18T.

Likely going to order the MAPerformace Fiesta intercooler and modify it to work.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk