PDA

View Full Version : Wheel wobble help!!!

AristoPei
10-03-2018, 07:32 AM
I installed B6 S4 wheels with 235's with 10MM spacers on my B5 and I have this wheel wobble. To be honest... I purchased the spacers on Amazon, so they are not a "Euro" name brand and I got the appropriate size lugs from off of Ebay. Im about ready to take the wheels off and just find some 18x8 et35 wheels to eliminate the spacers. Before I do that... is there anything im missing or should pay attention to? Thanks in advance!!!

Blur2u
10-03-2018, 07:48 AM
Did you check if you got the correct type of lug nuts? OEM type wheels typically run conical lugs and aftermarket wheels run cone. Double check to make sure you have the correct type for the wheels you are using. Also check the spacers to make sure they're flushed against your hub. Some spacers don't sit flush on the hub. I believe our B5 hub has a lip where the shaft and hub meet. Check the photo from this link..

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-meyle-parts/wheel-hub-priced-each/4a0407615g~mey/

If your wheel spacers can't sit flush against the hub then you'll have vibrations.

Finally make sure your spacers are hub centric to the hub and also to your wheel.

MacFady
10-03-2018, 08:13 AM
I suspect, as noted above, they aren't hubcentric. Do they have a little lip on them for the wheel to rest on like your hub does for the spacer? If not they are just lug centric and more prone to vibrations, while the spacer is resting on the hub the wheels are more or less just resting on the lugs.
Both B5 and B6 have a hub bore of 57.1, have you tried without the spacers...

AristoPei
10-03-2018, 11:41 AM
@Blur2U : I will re-check this

@MacFady : These are the exact ones I purchased from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/5x100-Centric-Spacers-57-1mm-Center/dp/B06X1BTBVW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1538591983&sr=8-3&keywords=10mm+wheel+spacers+5x112+57.1mm+bore)

Seerlah
10-03-2018, 05:37 PM
You can try taking the wheels and spacers off, then clear the hub of the rust debris. That rust build-up can cause the car to move as if the wheels and tires are not balanced correctly.

AristoPei
10-03-2018, 06:59 PM
I should maybe also add that this only really happens between 60 and 70 miles per hour!

Cybersombosis
10-03-2018, 07:00 PM
Did you torque your lugs with a torque wrench to 89-90 ft-lbs?

AristoPei
10-03-2018, 09:30 PM
No I didn't. I'm going to take everything off and reinstall everything. What about a stud conversion?

Cybersombosis
10-03-2018, 11:02 PM
I had a wobble way back when on a new set of wheels and I torqued them down and it went away. Invest in a torque wrench.

MacFady
10-04-2018, 08:35 AM
Yeah, as noted those aren't hubcentric spacers. The ad is misleading because although the spacers are hubcentric to your car, the wheel to spacer is not hubcentric. Not saying you can't fix the wobble but in my experience those would be more prone to vibration.

You ideally want something more like this, I think you can appreciate the difference.
http://shop.achtuning.com/productimages/HR/HR_Spacers/M_HR_1655572_5x112_5x100_57CB_8mm_Spacers.jpg

"The center bore of the wheel is sized to fit perfectly onto the axle of that car. This is a hub-centric connection, as the wheel is centered by its connection to the axle hub. The lug-nuts hold the wheel firmly to the mounting plate, but it is the wheel-to-axle connection that holds the weight of the car. This is quite an important distinction, as the lug-nuts are designed to handle lateral forces that push the wheel away from the mounting plate. The forces that the hub and center bore connection are designed to withstand, the weight of the car forcing downward and impacts forcing upward, are at right angles to the forces that the lug-nuts are designed for." - this is what you are running into I believe.

AristoPei
10-05-2018, 09:00 AM
@MacFady I'm going to try these!

AristoPei
10-18-2018, 01:52 AM
Anyone have as specific link to spaces I need in 10mm that will mate B6 wheels to a B5 without the wobble? I know @McFady mentioned the spacers I have are hubcentric to my hub but not the wheel.