PDA

View Full Version : Newb Wants An RS5

AZColt
09-22-2018, 10:24 PM
Hello from the corn! New to this forum and a newb to high-performance cars. Looking for my next vehicle right now and I'm pretty sure I want a MY13-15 RS5. Thought for a minute about a 45AMG but something about a 4-cylinder just doesn't feel right to me.

Looking for some answers from you Audi experts and I'm not even sure I'm posting this in the correct place. So before I take up your time, is this the right area to approach this?

Thanks in advance!

JamesRS5
09-23-2018, 06:15 AM
Well these are two completely different class cars, the 45 AMG is a super hatch and blisteringly quick but I’d be comparing that to a VW Golf R, Focus RS or Audi RS3. The RS5 is a big coupe with big bones, it will feel very heavy and slow compared to those punchy turbo’d cars. I came from one of those cars, a VW Scirocco R and first time I drove the RS5 I looked at my friend and said “this feels slow” we checked to make sure the car was in dynamic mode, it was, it just doesn’t feel quick. You have to wring the neck of the motor to get the RS5 moving, around town it won’t feel quick because you don’t have the space to open it up properly.
This all sounds negative, it is and it isn’t, but it depends what you’re looking for, the RS5 is a very competent car, give it some twisty roads and you’ll be surprised how well it handles and hides its weight, give it a nice open road and it can be a great car to cruise in, pull up at the lights and it has the traction off the line to get moving quickly but the added weight of the 4WD will soon come into effect and negate that initial advantage.

As a daily driver it’s a great car, it can be either a sports coupe or a tourer and fuel consumption will suffer with the former of those but give a respectable 24mpg as a tourer.

Servicing can get expensive, the major service has an oil change in all the differentials plus the engine, you’re looking at up to $2K, a minor service is just engine oil and filter.

Weak points tend to be the brakes but you’re buying a used car so probably something that’s already been addressed. If you can find one with ceramics then it’s a nice option.

Tuning options are increasing but you won’t see anything more than ~30hp increase (~450hp/460hp at the flywheel) with an intake, exhaust and tune. Your money would be spent wiser losing weight from the car and to improve the handling.

Those are my honest thoughts/opinions after 4 years of ownership.

kjeeper10
09-23-2018, 06:39 AM
Well these are two completely different class cars, the 45 AMG is a super hatch and blisteringly quick but I’d be comparing that to a VW Golf R, Focus RS or Audi RS3. The RS5 is a big coupe with big bones, it will feel very heavy and slow compared to those punchy turbo’d cars. I came from one of those cars, a VW Scirocco R and first time I drove the RS5 I looked at my friend and said “this feels slow” we checked to make sure the car was in dynamic mode, it was, it just doesn’t feel quick. You have to wring the neck of the motor to get the RS5 moving, around town it won’t feel quick because you don’t have the space to open it up properly.
This all sounds negative, it is and it isn’t, but it depends what you’re looking for, the RS5 is a very competent car, give it some twisty roads and you’ll be surprised how well it handles and hides its weight, give it a nice open road and it can be a great car to cruise in, pull up at the lights and it has the traction off the line to get moving quickly but the added weight of the 4WD will soon come into effect and negate that initial advantage.

As a daily driver it’s a great car, it can be either a sports coupe or a tourer and fuel consumption will suffer with the former of those but give a respectable 24mpg as a tourer.

Servicing can get expensive, the major service has an oil change in all the differentials plus the engine, you’re looking at up to $2K, a minor service is just engine oil and filter.

Weak points tend to be the brakes but you’re buying a used car so probably something that’s already been addressed. If you can find one with ceramics then it’s a nice option.

Tuning options are increasing but you won’t see anything more than ~30hp increase (~450hp/460hp at the flywheel) with an intake, exhaust and tune. Your money would be spent wiser losing weight from the car and to improve the handling.

You got that right. These cars are so heavy.

AZColt
09-23-2018, 04:57 PM

Thank you both very much for your input. I don't know anyone that owns one so there isn't anybody to ask any questions and get REAL answers. I've only even seen maybe 2 or 3 on the road around my area. I would like an RS3 but they are too new and not yet in my price point area because I'm going all cash.

I'm about to do some test drives with serious intentions so perhaps I shouldn't rule out the 45 AMG? I don't like that it's a 4, but I suppose the gas mileage I'd get and the extra pep in my step would be worth considering. I think I'll still give the RS5 a whirl just to see what you guys are talking about though. I really wanted an RS5 not just for performance but also because it's rare around these parts. Seems there are quite a few more of the AMG 45's. I was thinking resale down the road too. I have also considered the Panamera, CTS-V, and C63 AMG.

Thanks gain folks, and if there's anything else you can advise me on I'd deeply appreciate it.

altobeast
09-23-2018, 08:05 PM
It's your lucky day there are 2 brand new posts on classifieds !

If it were me, on a cash purchase, I would be between an RS5 and a C63 AMG, they are 2 different beasts, keyword being they are both beasts, but the c63 is in your face and the RS5 is perfect for clients. I see you are in the midwest, so the RS5 can be a big help in the fall/winter time too compared to spinning on summer tires with all that torque of the c63.

AZColt
09-23-2018, 09:12 PM
Thank you good sir! You're right, in my case and with the weather around here, it might be more prudent to go all-wheel. I just can't really seem to find a low-mile RS5 under $40K that hasn't seen some damage. I will check out the classifieds though, thanks!

I was looking around today/tonight for all of those models I listed. Found a MY12 C63 AMG with LOW miles + development pkg for under $40K! I understand that the MY12 still has the naturally aspirated V8, which most people seem to find more appealing, no? Thinking hard, VERY hard, about making a trip to visit this car.

Thanks again folks, and PLEASE, keep the advice coming. If you all knew what I was driving right now you'd probably spit your coffee/soda/beer on your screen. It's a hoot! Once I make a purchase I will post before and after pics for your enjoyment!

altobeast
09-23-2018, 09:22 PM
Thank you good sir! You're right, in my case and with the weather around here, it might be more prudent to go all-wheel. I just can't really seem to find a low-mile RS5 under $40K that hasn't seen some damage. I will check out the classifieds though, thanks!

I was looking around today/tonight for all of those models I listed. Found a MY12 C63 AMG with LOW miles + development pkg for under $40K! I understand that the MY12 still has the naturally aspirated V8, which most people seem to find more appealing, no? Thinking hard, VERY hard, about making a trip to visit this car.

Thanks again folks, and PLEASE, keep the advice coming. If you all knew what I was driving right now you'd probably spit your coffee/soda/beer on your screen. It's a hoot! Once I make a purchase I will post before and after pics for your enjoyment!

Dig into the damage more and use Reddit for CarFax by VIN#. I had some side panel damage on my CPO RS5 and determined it to be minor enough after contacting the shop that I went ahead and pulled the trigger. The MY 12, in my understanding has the 6.3 V8, whereas after they went with the 5.5TT. For me, I would think the 5.5 TT would be more appealing, simply due to power tunes. But boy does the stock 6.3 sound un-godly.

I drove both, and believe me the support for the Audi Forums and tuning is part (a small one, albeit) of my decision. The C63 just seemed too brash for me and less refined. Far more "VROOM" and less "ZOOM" if that makes sense. I naturally am not a huge fan of attention, and the C63 definitely draws more, especially while driving at night in my neck of the woods. My buddy has one downtown Seattle and let me tell you, he gets revved at a lot and gets red-light raced a lot more than I do. Little do they know the RS5 is better off the line haha.

EDIT: the 6.3 in my research was also *slightly* more reliable, but with mileage you'll always run into issues no matter what so choose wisely on that. TT systems create more wear parts and exhaust challenges, especially on over-engineered German Sedans/Coupes. But FYI, I'll beat a C63 from a dig any day [>_<] 60-130 well that's a different matter, but i'm a safer driver than he is hahahah.

Whatever you drive now, just know that hopefully the community supports you. I drove a beater of all beaters, and also own 2 more cars which are not Audi Forum friendly, specifically a 66 mustang and 96 Saturn so don't worry about what you drive now, whether it's a 84 Honda or an '18 Aventador. A good community helps TONS

AZColt
09-24-2018, 01:00 AM
Thanks again sir! I will keep this thread up to date on what I do in case anybody is interested. Kinda neat for a newb to discover all these rides that you folks are already familiar with, and you already know what my facial expressions will be! LOL

I do have another question. Would the I4 of the CLA 45 be more reliable than the hulk 6.3 (or 6.2) of the C63? I know the mileage would be a LOT better, and the all-wheel is good for winter compared to the rear-wheel of the C63, but is the engine necessarily more reliable in general? I know the turbos in the CLA 45 would be expensive to repair, but other than that?

kjeeper10
09-24-2018, 02:06 AM
Dig into the damage more and use Reddit for CarFax by VIN#. I had some side panel damage on my CPO RS5 and determined it to be minor enough after contacting the shop that I went ahead and pulled the trigger. The MY 12, in my understanding has the 6.3 V8, whereas after they went with the 5.5TT. For me, I would think the 5.5 TT would be more appealing, simply due to power tunes. But boy does the stock 6.3 sound un-godly.

I drove both, and believe me the support for the Audi Forums and tuning is part (a small one, albeit) of my decision. The C63 just seemed too brash for me and less refined. Far more "VROOM" and less "ZOOM" if that makes sense. I naturally am not a huge fan of attention, and the C63 definitely draws more, especially while driving at night in my neck of the woods. My buddy has one downtown Seattle and let me tell you, he gets revved at a lot and gets red-light raced a lot more than I do. Little do they know the RS5 is better off the line haha.

EDIT: the 6.3 in my research was also *slightly* more reliable, but with mileage you'll always run into issues no matter what so choose wisely on that. TT systems create more wear parts and exhaust challenges, especially on over-engineered German Sedans/Coupes. But FYI, I'll beat a C63 from a dig any day [>_<] 60-130 well that's a different matter, but i'm a safer driver than he is hahahah.

Whatever you drive now, just know that hopefully the community supports you. I drove a beater of all beaters, and also own 2 more cars which are not Audi Forum friendly, specifically a 66 mustang and 96 Saturn so don't worry about what you drive now, whether it's a 84 Honda or an '18 Aventador. A good community helps TONS

Ha!! I drove a 99 beat to shit caravan for a daily. Miss not having to worry about anything... just drove it.

altobeast
09-24-2018, 08:15 AM
To answer your question, I honestly think the 6.2 (my bad) would be less reliable. Mileage is a big consideration as well. Don't worry about the turbos in terms of cost, but the added internal stress they can cause. I doubt you'll have to replace the turbos any time soon, but gaskets and bearings all wear quickly and start to leak eventually. However, most modern cars, even German ones are fairly reliable as a whole. The 6.2 platform, 4.2 FSI (in the rs5), and the I4 probably have all seen some lemons but also some good long-term reliability as well.

Xyrian
09-24-2018, 04:36 PM
I've owned my RS5 for about a month and I've had my S3 for around a year and a half. While the S3 is not exactly like the Cl45 AMG, the power delivery range should be comparable. Other's have mentioned in this thread that the the RS5 won't feel as "zippy" as the new 4 bangers, which is completely true. Sometimes it is nicer to be a little more unassuming as you pop around town. In the RS5, you and everyone else around you knows you are headed somewhere pretty quick(Yea yea, comfort mode exists, but valves open is SO MUCH MORE FUN). I would say both of my cars feel roughly as quick as one another up to ~60, above that there seems to be a little bit of drop off in my S3, but that is really where the RS5 shines. Really love my RS5, it puts a smile on my face every single time I drive it. You should buy that Suzuka Grey RS5 in the classifieds section.

AZColt
09-24-2018, 06:55 PM
I've owned my RS5 for about a month and I've had my S3 for around a year and a half. While the S3 is not exactly like the Cl45 AMG, the power delivery range should be comparable. Other's have mentioned in this thread that the the RS5 won't feel as "zippy" as the new 4 bangers, which is completely true. Sometimes it is nicer to be a little more unassuming as you pop around town. In the RS5, you and everyone else around you knows you are headed somewhere pretty quick(Yea yea, comfort mode exists, but valves open is SO MUCH MORE FUN). I would say both of my cars feel roughly as quick as one another up to ~60, above that there seems to be a little bit of drop off in my S3, but that is really where the RS5 shines. Really love my RS5, it puts a smile on my face every single time I drive it. You should buy that Suzuka Grey RS5 in the classifieds section.

I SERIOUSLY wish I could. It's a REALLY good deal. And the mods, WOW! Problem for me is I have to do all cash as I'm currently building a home and can't take out any new debt until after I close. That will be about 7 months. So I have about $35K to MAYBE $38K cash. That's it. The rest I need for my down payment on the home. The RS5 is a rung that's JUST out of reach for me. But if I had it, I'd be on the phone in a minute because it's a beaut!

Got an email from the C63 owner who said it was sold over the weekend. Bummer!

So there is a CLA 45 AMG not far from me and I took it for a spin tonight. WOW does this thing move! Has a little bit of turbo lag, but once it got spinning it was on! And I didn't notice too much of the whine that some people report. I even commented on that and the sales guy told me that is a sign that it's wearing out? At any rate, I was impressed. Had the Recaro seats, which were almost too snug. Not much room in these cars, but I'm not a tall guy anyway. It's the shoulder width that is less than ideal, but I could manage. It wasn't uncomfortable, just snug. Clean Carfax, but has multiple owners so a possible red-flag there. Last owner was local, we pulled up the report and looked at it together. He said they did a 175-point inspection (whatever that means) and took care of anything. It has one open recall for a small electrical issue but we would have to take it to the authorized dealer to fix. I didn't notice anything when checking all the electrical gadgets and stuff out. It's a MY14 with 45K miles. They are asking $35K firm. No all-cash considerations. Link to this car is below. What do y'all think?

EDIT: I just noticed that on that Carfax page the description shows the exterior as "black" but it is clearly not. The one in the photos is this very car, so an obvious mistake there.

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WDDSJ5CB7EN089825

AZColt
09-24-2018, 07:20 PM
To answer your question, I honestly think the 6.2 (my bad) would be less reliable. Mileage is a big consideration as well. Don't worry about the turbos in terms of cost, but the added internal stress they can cause. I doubt you'll have to replace the turbos any time soon, but gaskets and bearings all wear quickly and start to leak eventually. However, most modern cars, even German ones are fairly reliable as a whole. The 6.2 platform, 4.2 FSI (in the rs5), and the I4 probably have all seen some lemons but also some good long-term reliability as well.

Thanks sir. Perhaps the peppy 45 AMG is for me. I will let you know.

altobeast
09-24-2018, 07:51 PM
It might just be, the RS5 is not something you want to come down in price bracket for to not get the exact one you want, with good mileage, no problems, etc. The CLA 45 is a hot car for sure.

I'm 6' 5" and it doesn't fit me, I've tried. The RS5 has the great coupe leg room. Don't worry about too much about multiple owners, unless it is clear that one owner dumped the car after something happened i.e. major service history or just before it. Cash is weird with car buying because financing is king, that's where they make their margins.

In all honesty, I bet this is a double lease to ownership car. Merc's have great leasing programs, and they often do a new lease then a CPO lease and then sell it wholesale/to a dealer. It's a beauty, and matches my Daytona Gray. Whatever choice you make, you can never go wrong with a top of the line car for its time. Always is great fun, let us know what you choose, but the CLA is a beaut!

AZColt
09-24-2018, 08:14 PM
It might just be, the RS5 is not something you want to come down in price bracket for to not get the exact one you want, with good mileage, no problems, etc. The CLA 45 is a hot car for sure.

I'm 6' 5" and it doesn't fit me, I've tried. The RS5 has the great coupe leg room. Don't worry about too much about multiple owners, unless it is clear that one owner dumped the car after something happened i.e. major service history or just before it. Cash is weird with car buying because financing is king, that's where they make their margins.

In all honesty, I bet this is a double lease to ownership car. Merc's have great leasing programs, and they often do a new lease then a CPO lease and then sell it wholesale/to a dealer. It's a beauty, and matches my Daytona Gray. Whatever choice you make, you can never go wrong with a top of the line car for its time. Always is great fun, let us know what you choose, but the CLA is a beaut!

Thanks man. Still not 100% sold, gonna take the night to sleep on it, see how I feel about it in the a.m. If I still feel good about it, might just go pick that thing up tomorrow. Put a small refundable deposit on it just to hold it from being sold to someone else. They will give me 2 days to decide.

At your height, I completely understand. I'm vertically challenged so no problems that way. The seats are just very narrow. But I think they have enough give in them for me to get comfy.

Did some digging on that free VIN check (thanks by the way) and it looks like they repo'd it from the last owner. One thing I am hesitant about is that in the report it was once listed as black, then there was a note that it was noted to be grey. IDK if that was just a mistake in the documentation or if it was re-painted. If the later, that would raise a red flag. Is there any way to find that out? Anybody know?

altobeast
09-25-2018, 07:29 AM
If it was done correctly (the paint), it will be hard to find out as there won't be any underbody spray or overspray anywhere, and the paint will have been sanded down. The Repo might have caused paint damage and then Merc might have said the gray increases value by more than the cost of the paint job, i.e. maybe a gray cla 45 amg gets 3k more on average than a black oneso they resprayed. If the vin check says it was black, it was black before. I haven't seen a mistake on that before, especially because of the notation that the color was different.

AZColt
09-25-2018, 08:06 AM
If it was done correctly (the paint), it will be hard to find out as there won't be any underbody spray or overspray anywhere, and the paint will have been sanded down. The Repo might have caused paint damage and then Merc might have said the gray increases value by more than the cost of the paint job, i.e. maybe a gray cla 45 amg gets 3k more on average than a black oneso they resprayed. If the vin check says it was black, it was black before. I haven't seen a mistake on that before, especially because of the notation that the color was different.

Huh. Now I'm not sure. If there was any REAL damage they fixed it because you cannot see anything. And after doing some research, I found that they only made the AMG Edition 1 in either White or Black, but you had the option to purchase in some other colors at cost. One of them was Mountain Grey, which is this color. Not sure and I'll likely never really find out.

Thanks again for all of your help folks.

AZColt
09-25-2018, 08:49 PM
OK, I found out they ordered a "pay for" color called Selenite Grey. There aren't many (if any) of this model with that color. I guess that makes it somewhat rare. It also has the AMG Edition 1 package, so that's a plus.

With great hesitation on my part, I decided to pull the trigger and get the car today. I'm a little torn because it isn't the TRUE car I wanted, which was the RS5, but I think there are some benefits as well, and it's a great car, so I'm good with it. It really is a pretty car. Got a few compliments on it at the gas station and going out to eat. Kids love it. Wife is OK with it. Still learning all the gadgets and doodads. Is it normal to feel such hesitation when driving it and parking it because you don't want anything to happen? Felt a lot of that today. Hopefully it will improve as time goes on.

I want to thank all that have helped me here, and even those that simply took the time to read it. I appreciate it very much and your advice helped me a lot. I will post the before and after pics of my vehicles shortly. But it's late, I'm beat, and gonna head off to bed.

Thanks folks!

altobeast
09-26-2018, 01:14 PM
OK, I found out they ordered a "pay for" color called Selenite Grey. There aren't many (if any) of this model with that color. I guess that makes it somewhat rare. It also has the AMG Edition 1 package, so that's a plus.

With great hesitation on my part, I decided to pull the trigger and get the car today. I'm a little torn because it isn't the TRUE car I wanted, which was the RS5, but I think there are some benefits as well, and it's a great car, so I'm good with it. It really is a pretty car. Got a few compliments on it at the gas station and going out to eat. Kids love it. Wife is OK with it. Still learning all the gadgets and doodads. Is it normal to feel such hesitation when driving it and parking it because you don't want anything to happen? Felt a lot of that today. Hopefully it will improve as time goes on.

I want to thank all that have helped me here, and even those that simply took the time to read it. I appreciate it very much and your advice helped me a lot. I will post the before and after pics of my vehicles shortly. But it's late, I'm beat, and gonna head off to bed.

Thanks folks!

Have fun and keep in touch. Congrats on the new car! I feel hesitation on my RS5 and have had it for almost a year, so don't worry about that. I enjoy the compliments i get by strangers, so will you. MPG will win your wife over, just tell her she could have had a loud, grumbly Capristo RS5 in the garage and when you cold started, it would be like a grenade going off followed by the devil hitting a bass drum into your ears haha.

Definitely a classy choice!

ENV²
09-26-2018, 01:28 PM

I owned a C63 with P31 package. One of my favorite cars ever. I considered buying another one now but I do not like doing 2 of the same cars. Only one I would consider these days is a C63 Black series cause even though its the same, it isnt. I am trying to purchase an RS5 from a member on here currently and hoping it works out. It has been a couple of weeks of this process and I am getting a little antsy but we will see. The RS5 is absolutely leaps and bounds slower than the C63. It is also not anywhere near as brutish. They are two very different animals. If I were in your shoes with your budget though... I would go C63 P31 hands down.

Sftuner
09-26-2018, 06:11 PM
Buy my car it only has 8500 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZColt
09-28-2018, 07:26 AM
The before and after. Not my exact cars (I don't have any online image storage), but they look just like what I have. I'd say I made a step up. LOL

Before:

https://www.gtrautosales.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/115.jpg

After:

http://www.clickmall.ir/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/CLA-45-4.jpg

altobeast
09-28-2018, 07:57 AM
YESS a Suzuki.

Ape Factory
09-28-2018, 10:46 PM
We all start somewhere right? Definitely a step up. Not an RS5 but a step up none the less. Enjoy!

AZColt
09-29-2018, 06:40 AM
Thanks folks! Yeah, it's a peppy little car (and I do mean little). But it has a decent exhaust note for a 4 banger. I think my wife likes it cause she took it for a spin yesterday and was raving about it. And I think my neighbors are in shock because they've seen me driving the Suzuki for so long.

Only thing I have found to complain about so far is the gas mileage. It isn't what they report, at least so far. I've put about 200 miles on it and dang near gone through a full tank. IT has a 14.8 gallon tank. Do the math. The dealership said they changed the oil and did an inspection. I'm wondering if this is typical for a 1st tank after an oil change, or if maybe they used the wrong gas, or if maybe the wrong oil? IDK, but it's WAY lower than the 23-30 mpg it is supposed to get. I have rarely even halfway stepped on the throttle because I wanted to get a good look at what true gas mileage it got first, and I have not once put the pedal to the floor yet.

Anyway, still having a blast with it. Just costing a little more than I anticipated.

Ape Factory
09-29-2018, 07:44 AM
You weren't in the car when your wife was driving it? t'm guessing your wife has a lead foot :)

I'd wait til you fill up and see how many actual gallons of gas were burned in anger. Sometimes gas gauges can be wildly pessimistic when in actuality you still have 2-3 gallons even with the needle on "E". I usually have about a gallon left when the RS5 is solidly on empty. My previous car could be below the E and I'd still have 3 gallons left.

AZColt
09-29-2018, 11:34 AM
You weren't in the car when your wife was driving it? t'm guessing your wife has a lead foot :)

I'd wait til you fill up and see how many actual gallons of gas were burned in anger. Sometimes gas gauges can be wildly pessimistic when in actuality you still have 2-3 gallons even with the needle on "E". I usually have about a gallon left when the RS5 is solidly on empty. My previous car could be below the E and I'd still have 3 gallons left.

Well, she WAS raving about it, so maybe.

HMS
10-16-2018, 08:48 AM
ahem

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/829874-The-best-priced-RS-5-on-the-market-period!-34K