PDA

View Full Version : Lost breaks while driving.....2001 A4 Avant 1.8t

mobildetroit
09-10-2018, 05:41 PM
Was out driving today, had to slam on the breaks hard to a complete stop.
Afterwards I started driving and I hardly have breaks, pedal goes to the floor.

Has anyone had this problem? If so, what broke?

mobildetroit
09-10-2018, 05:57 PM
Never mind....F'ing front flexible break line blew how....wow....that's safe....FUCK AUDI!!!!

Seerlah
09-10-2018, 06:00 PM
You probably have an issue with your jet suction pump. It is the piece that comes basically right after your brake booster. Your brake booster needs vacuum from the engine to apply brake pressure. If your brake booster does not recieve adequate vacuum, your brake system suffers.

Not saying that is the issue, but strong possibility.

Edit: Nevermind [rolleyes]

WC432
09-10-2018, 06:58 PM
You probably have an issue with your jet suction pump. It is the piece that comes basically right after your brake booster. Your brake booster needs vacuum from the engine to apply brake pressure. If your brake booster does not recieve adequate vacuum, your brake system suffers.

Not saying that is the issue, but strong possibility.

Edit: Nevermind [rolleyes]

Yep what he said, just had this happen to me about a week ago and my symptoms were the same as yours. Was a super easy fix, here’s a pic of the suction jet.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

mobildetroit
09-11-2018, 06:59 AM

Yep what he said, just had this happen to me about a week ago and my symptoms were the same as yours. Was a super easy fix, here’s a pic of the suction jet.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

Thanks for the input...however in my case the front right flexible break line burst. It was an aftermarket break line, so I guess I can't blame Audi for that.....however...the break line was only 3 years old....and that's not supposed to happen when the line is that young. Was a bad day yesterday.

Now...the fix was kind of a pain. The hard break line flare nut that goes from the flexible hose to the caliper as seized on to the flexible hose. It wasn't rusty or anything, just really tight and tight on the hard line tube. I had to take the bracket that holds the hose assembly off the caliper and disconnect the hard line from the caliper, then break the hard line flare nut free on my vice. I didn't have a proper flare nut wrench because Audi uses 11 mm flare nuts, I only had a 10 and a 12mm flare nut wrench....lol. So all I had was a normal 11mm wrench, not good on seized flare nuts. So while I had that off the car I had break fluid running everywhere..lol. So I got it all back together, bleeding it was a snap. Now I have breaks again.

If you ever have to do this job, put really good penetrating oil on the flare nuts and let it soak for awhile. You will need break cleaner to wash all the break fluid off your breaks after your done (burst lines tend to spray hot break fluid everywhere). Also, buy an 11mm flare nut wrench, don't use your regular 11mm wrench, or you will likely end up having to take the hose bracket off the break caliper, or have to buy that specially bent little hard break line after you destroy the flare nut on it trying to take it off. The flare nuts are really soft metal, a flare nut wrench will apply even pressure on all sides of the nut.

walky_talky20
09-12-2018, 05:10 AM
Also, "brakes".

Sorry, had to. [>_<]

Glad you got it sorted out. Loosing brake pressure while driving is never a fun time.

Joe Jr.
09-21-2018, 03:07 PM
i had a brake booster go out on a 2000 a4. that was fun. the brakes started being applied harder and harder got to the point to where the car wouldn't move. i had to remove that hose from the suction jet to release pressure. it was weird.

Dino V
09-25-2018, 06:47 AM
I burst a brake line once in similar situation in a Benz when I slammed brakes on the highway. Glad you got it all sorted out.

audinutt
10-17-2018, 05:50 AM