PDA

View Full Version : Considering an 09 s5 coupe with 25k miles, what should I look for during my test driv

ieatshotslike50
09-07-2018, 09:50 AM
Like the title says, I'm going to look at an s5 with 25k miles on it. It has service records but not much as the car is low mileage. How will I know if there is carbon buildup during the test drive? What else should I be looking out for?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

plat
09-07-2018, 11:05 AM
If the car is in the early stages of carbon build-up, it will be difficult to tell. Advance stage carbon build-up will exhibit some symptoms like misfire, hard-starting, and lack of power. If the symptoms are not that severe especially power loss, it will be difficult to tell. At 25k, the carbon build-up might still be light. It depends on how the previous owner took care of it. Frequent oil changes will slow down the carbon build-up process. When buying a used '08 to '12 S5, make sure to plan to have it carbon cleaned by around 40k or when symptoms start showing up.

While the 4.2L V8 FSI engine is quite reliable, the one thing to keep an ear out for is timing chain clatter at start up (from cold - sitting cold overnight). Extended clatter, i.e. greater than 2 seconds, may mean loose chains due to failing chain tensioners or the chain themselves.

Aside from that, all the other stuff that can go wrong with it are wear and tear items such as thermostats and water pump. But at 25k, the chances of them failing is low. But, the car is almost 10 years old so they may show up soon especially if the car has lived in a very warm or hot environment and in an area with heavy traffic congestion most of its life.

As with any used car purchase, merely inspecting the car's service record is not enough. Have it inspected by an independent Audi mechanic or an Audi dealer. If something is failing or needs to be changed soon, they'll be able to find it and let you know. They will also do a scan of the car's ECU to let you know if there are any DTC's stored in its memory and give you a diagnosis.

ieatshotslike50
09-07-2018, 11:09 AM
If the car is in the early stages of carbon build-up, it will be difficult to tell. Advance stage carbon build-up will exhibit some symptoms like misfire, hard-starting, and lack of power. If the symptoms are not that severe especially power loss, it will be difficult to tell. At 25k, the carbon build-up might still be light. It depends on how the previous owner took care of it. Frequent oil changes will slow down the carbon build-up process. When buying a used '08 to '12 S5, make sure to plan to have it carbon cleaned by around 40k or when symptoms start showing up.

While the 4.2L V8 FSI engine is quite reliable, the one thing to keep an ear out for is timing chain clatter at start up (from cold - sitting cold overnight). Extended clatter, i.e. greater than 2 seconds, may mean loose chains due to failing chain tensioners or the chain themselves.

Aside from that, all the other stuff that can go wrong with it are wear and tear items such as thermostats and water pump. But at 25k, the chances of them failing is low. But, the car is almost 10 years old so they may show up soon especially if the car has lived in a very warm or hot environment and in an area with heavy traffic congestion most of its life.

As with any used car purchase, merely inspecting the car's service record is not enough. Have it inspected by an independent Audi mechanic or an Audi dealer. If something is failing or needs to be changed soon, they'll be able to find it and let you know. They will also do a scan of the car's ECU to let you know if there are any DTC's stored in its memory and give you a diagnosis.If you're buying from another major car dealer how do you go about getting it inspected? Just call a local audi dealer and schedule a inspection? Are other dealers cool with you doing this usually?

plat
09-07-2018, 11:20 AM
If you're buying from another major car dealer how do you go about getting it inspected? Just call a local audi dealer and schedule a inspection? Are other dealers cool with you doing this usually?

Some dealers don't especially if they know there is something wrong with it or they think you might steal it. Some refuse for fear that the 3rd party inspection facility might do something and damage the car. However, most dealers are OK with it as long as you let them know where the 3rd party inspection will take place, you have ID's and maybe good background info like job/work, and a REFUNDABLE deposit. The deposit will assure them that you won't run away with the car and it shows them that you are seriously considering to purchase it if all goes well with the inspection. Just make sure that if you make a deposit, you can get it back if you decide not to buy the car.

I recommend asking the selling dealer if they are willing to let an Audi dealer do an inspection and what their requirements are to allow you to take the car and drive it to the inspection facility.

ieatshotslike50
09-07-2018, 01:50 PM
Some dealers don't especially if they know there is something wrong with it or they think you might steal it. Some refuse for fear that the 3rd party inspection facility might do something and damage the car. However, most dealers are OK with it as long as you let them know where the 3rd party inspection will take place, you have ID's and maybe good background info like job/work, and a REFUNDABLE deposit. The deposit will assure them that you won't run away with the car and it shows them that you are seriously considering to purchase it if all goes well with the inspection. Just make sure that if you make a deposit, you can get it back if you decide not to buy the car.

I recommend asking the selling dealer if they are willing to let an Audi dealer do an inspection and what their requirements are to allow you to take the car and drive it to the inspection facility.Sounds good. That's exactly what I'm going to try and do. Thanks so much for your advice. I'll keep this updated with how things go.

Thanks again

altobeast
09-07-2018, 02:35 PM

I recommend asking the selling dealer if they are willing to let an Audi dealer do an inspection and what their requirements are to allow you to take the car and drive it to the inspection facility.

My RS5 was inspected by 2 people, a different Audi dealer than the one I was purchasing from, and a 3rd party German Repair Shop. That way you can avoid the bias. 200-350 bucks now is huge to avoid a lemon

ezridah
09-09-2018, 11:37 AM
This is not scientific by any means but in my 2012 the carbon build up first became noticeable as hesitation when accelerating from a stop in auto and comfort drive modes, but was far less noticeable in dynamic mode ó so make sure you test drive in all modes. Local Audi service dept said build up can happen as early as 20k mi depending on driving style...

ieatshotslike50
09-24-2018, 12:12 PM
I got it last week. I love it. Everything checked out at Audi when they inspected it. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180924/afe610c9e8a08836c0faebf2fb306480.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180924/4f601f3bd97c0aa5f2e56d5caa6df3bb.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180924/c99f7c0b693530c7e1e69a8505ba0e44.jpg

altobeast
09-24-2018, 12:56 PM
That interior is awesome! Have fun and make a build thread if that's your thing

plat
09-24-2018, 06:22 PM
Congratulations!

jaypilot75
01-02-2019, 10:11 AM
Good looking ride, I used to own a 2010 same color. Anyway, imo...my concern would be the thing that is attractive about it (other than the aesthetics, b\c I love that color) the fact that it is an 09 with such low miles. The timing chain guides are the culprit for the early S5's. They tend to get brittle and break. With that said my concern would be the type of climate the vehicle was stored in because sitting idle for most of its life also means all the oil also sitting idle in the bottom of the motor leaving the chain guides dry for extended periods of time. It sucks that they had that issue because otherwise the car (early S5's) are pretty much imo...outside of the carbon build up...but that is the case with any direct injection engine Audi or otherwise.

B8V8isGR8
01-04-2019, 03:22 PM
Good looking ride, I used to own a 2010 same color. Anyway, imo...my concern would be the thing that is attractive about it (other than the aesthetics, b\c I love that color) the fact that it is an 09 with such low miles. The timing chain guides are the culprit for the early S5's. They tend to get brittle and break. With that said my concern would be the type of climate the vehicle was stored in because sitting idle for most of its life also means all the oil also sitting idle in the bottom of the motor leaving the chain guides dry for extended periods of time. It sucks that they had that issue because otherwise the car (early S5's) are pretty much imo...outside of the carbon build up...but that is the case with any direct injection engine Audi or otherwise.

Itís interesting that the timing chain opinion seems to vary with many members. Some say this issue was addressed for the b8 after issues found on the b6/b7 platforms. Others maintain the issue is still present....

ieatshotslike50
01-04-2019, 03:41 PM
Good looking ride, I used to own a 2010 same color. Anyway, imo...my concern would be the thing that is attractive about it (other than the aesthetics, b\c I love that color) the fact that it is an 09 with such low miles. The timing chain guides are the culprit for the early S5's. They tend to get brittle and break. With that said my concern would be the type of climate the vehicle was stored in because sitting idle for most of its life also means all the oil also sitting idle in the bottom of the motor leaving the chain guides dry for extended periods of time. It sucks that they had that issue because otherwise the car (early S5's) are pretty much imo...outside of the carbon build up...but that is the case with any direct injection engine Audi or otherwise.Hmm I'll look out for that i guess. I though the timing chains were pretty much solved for the s5

B8V8isGR8
01-05-2019, 06:41 PM
I would be interested how many members have experienced issues with their chains/guides on the 4.2 S5.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

namvar
01-05-2019, 09:55 PM
Great find. Enjoy.