PDA

View Full Version : Barnfind not moving in gear

swilloughby24
08-29-2018, 06:33 PM
Hello, first post on here, but I'm familiar with the b5 chassis. Bought my 3rd B5, 97 2.8 5spd quattro, the other day thinking it was going to be an easy fix. Owner told me it would start but not move so it probably needed a clutch. My first thought was, well maybe an axle fell out? I had that problem with my current daily, it would run fine but not go anywhere and I could move the shifter through all the gears while it was running. Got it home, checked underneath it, shook and pulled on all the axles, nothing, even checked the driveshaft on both sides. So now I'm a bit lost, confused and a tad beaten. The car shares the same symptoms of a missing axle but everything attached. I did notice the pedal was very stiff, but responsive in coming back up, atleast in comparison to my 98 1.8t. So I thought maybe there was a blockage in the line. So I got underneath and cracked the bleeder, pressed the clutch in and fluid came out as expected. So on a whim and 1 bolt, I took out the slave cylinder and it appeared to be fully extended and it also came out in 2 pieces, the plunger and the cylinder. Looking in the boot there appeared to be fluid in there that smelled almost like brake fluid (grease/oil/brake fluid kinda smell). Now I'm not sure if it was just fully extended from the pressure in the line and me pulling it out or what. I got back up top and stuck it in gear without pressing the clutch in and started it... Nothing, still no movement. So i'm wondering if the slave is the potential problem or any other ideas before I go balls out and swap a 1.8t and replace the clutch or salvage parts off of it for my daily. Hope ive given enough information and hopefully someone can give me some better ideas.

tl;dr Car starts and runs, but does not move. gear shifter can be placed into any gear without any change while running. Have tried starting it in gear with no change as well. No noises that would indicate a broken clutch or anything in the bellhousing.

WagonGuy
08-29-2018, 08:16 PM
I would guess your clutch disk is broken or so worn it has no friction, if the center of the disk broke loose, it would have all the symptoms you describe. Clutch failure can be weird, my current project B5 had the opposite symptom, would not disengage, but could be driven without the clutch if I stated it in gear. Turned out the pressure plate was broken into several pieces.

You are sure the transmission is actually going into gear, that you don't have a linkage issue?

swilloughby24
08-29-2018, 08:40 PM
i can hear the gears moving around and i got underneath and had someone play with the shifter and could see everything moving. that was another thought that there was a linkage issue.

WagonGuy
08-29-2018, 08:58 PM
Have you tried jacking the car up, putting it in gear and running the engine with the wheels off the ground? If the clutch is super worn, maybe the tires would still turn.

swilloughby24
08-29-2018, 09:12 PM
yes first thing i did so i could check axles.

Joe Jr.
08-30-2018, 12:49 PM
sounds like clutch or transmission. pull it out...yeah hope for the easy and end up with the full on yank it out. thats my kind of luck...

swilloughby24
08-30-2018, 07:37 PM
went ahead an decided on clutch, swapped the interior today and swapping suspension and brakes tomorrow.
i know it seems like a lot but id rather part out what i can than swap an engine right now.