PDA

View Full Version : Wrong oil pressure sensor?

Fasterd
08-25-2018, 01:13 PM
Boys,

Just swapped a leaking switch and it throws a light the second I get on throttle. Valvetrain looks good and juicy, I did note on Europa parts site that there were different pressure options, I'm not blinking just a solid once I give it load that doesn't go away. Stays off when i restart until giving it throttle

Thoughts? No issues before change and all is running well

Fasterd
08-25-2018, 01:25 PM
I have the .25 bar from the b4 passat and old 12v very apparently, not the 1.4 bar. since it's a mechanical pump which shouldn't be affected who votes to drive it until the correct one comes?

scaphan
08-25-2018, 01:36 PM
Or change the setting so it only comes on at 2,500rpm. Adaption 35 on cluster. I had a sensor fail recently and drove 500 miles without it (after checking oil pressure manually).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fasterd
08-25-2018, 01:39 PM
Please divulge more

Seerlah
08-25-2018, 07:09 PM
I tried to find the correct part number and mbar rating for the 12v 2.8, but came up empty. Are you sure you are running the correct one?

If not, I buy used parts all the time (ie when my cv joint went, picked up a used oem axle for $55 shipped off ebay and never had an issue with it years later). Here is a switch pulled from a 96 12v, if you want to try to see if it corrects your issue. Seller has 100% feedback with a decent amount of sales.

Seller has two:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F12 1255331838

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F12 1255331838

Fasterd
08-25-2018, 08:32 PM
i need 068919081

i purchased 036919081D (damn you Europa....actually I think they're much better than ECS)

i drove 100 miles on it, cams still look good so yeah. I am just trying to think how the .25 bar vs the proper 1.4 bar signal would vary (peak value sooner?) I find these little nuances fun.....

But I have an 058 bruh, fyi......1.8TQM or die ******s!

Seerlah
08-25-2018, 08:54 PM
Oh, thought you were rockin the oldie. Nothing wrong with the 12v. Probably more reliable than my car is [:(].

Why not just pick up the correct switch?

Fasterd
08-25-2018, 10:50 PM
I'm going to, but I've gotten like 10 seat days since i bought it last month so I want to drive it in between.

Racer187 is a ****** and sold it as "mint", and my gf was ragging out so I just took close to his asking at 2800 without looking much (115k, "garage kept" but evidence of paint work, he looked at me dumbfounded only for me to find him selling two rattle cans color code matched on here) I've had to redo Pcv system, new motor mounts, coolant flange. Dv blown, get the Downpipe flange re welded, oil pressure switch was leaking like a stick pig, and "bilstein springs? Idiot had eibachs on stock shocks blown to play like a fiddle- Just a total douche, I trusted him since he was older but him freaking out when we couldn't find a notary immediately should have been the tell tale.

Nevertheless the bones are good and i can make it a sweet whip. 3rd 058 both others rebuilt by me so cooit's cool, I plan a t3/t4 + rod/refresh in the next 20k at timing belt (guy busted original at 85k admittedly. Head looks to have been professionally redone by cleanliness of intake ports/exterior and consistent performance after fixing the bullshit.

Seerlah
08-25-2018, 11:09 PM
If you know your oil pressure is in spec and are a gambling man, you can wire the switch to avoid the warning light till your replacement comes in. I run an in cabin gauge, so I would do this no problem if in your shoes.

Since it is just a switch, you want to find out if the warning light comes on when the switch is open or closed. Switches work with straight voltage going through. It is not a load, requiring two different potentials. Basically wire the two wires together if it requires straight through voltage and warning light should theoretically disapear (I assume the warning light comes on when the connection through the switch is broken).

Not saying this will def work, but the theory is sound. Then when new switch comes in, put wires back to stock form. Once again, you will be doing this at your own risk.

Fasterd
08-26-2018, 07:00 AM
I mean I'm pretty sure it's fine, it was before I took it down for repair. If not, stroker it is.

Lord I was born a Gamblin man, trying to make a trap time, and doing the best I can. I was born in the back seat of a vw bus, rolling down to waterfest for some fun.

😂