PDA

View Full Version : Engine temp...what the hell

spense5
08-08-2018, 06:46 PM
so this was taken 15mins ago on the freeway after maybe 15mins of freeway driving. I drove around town for 2miles or so and it dropped back down to half. Whent he A/C is and it reaches this level the air is almost room temp despite being on low. thoughts?? Just thermostat or water pump? I've had this car 4months to the day. I did an oil change and JHM tune same day maybe 10 days ago. Not sure if related at all. Car was detailed and "serviced" at Audi dealership a week before I got it. I am still under an extended factory warranty that I got when I purchased the vehicle.

https://s33.postimg.cc/t6zyxu8bj/image.jpg

BuyTheWarranty
08-08-2018, 07:09 PM
Thermostat is shot. Itís an issue on the 2012 (and likely other years). I had mine replaced at 55,000kms.

Itís covered under warranty, as long as they donít see the JHM tune!

spense5
08-08-2018, 07:16 PM
Thermostat is shot. Itís an issue on the 2012 (and likely other years). I had mine replaced at 55,000kms.

Itís covered under warranty, as long as they donít see the JHM tune!

My parents have gotten 3 diff vehicles from an audi/porsche dealer close to me...kinda know a couple service guys on a personal level so hoping something could be overlooked. You think I should contact JHM fora reflash before I take it into the dealer? I called today and they need to see the car to diagnose the issue (i mentioned thermostat confidently) and then they send too warranty company to see if covered. Not sure what the EXACT warranty I got but it was about $2400 for 2 years, basicly like a CPO warranty since the cutoff year was 2013.

Is the engine technically running fine it's just a visual misleading? Or is this ruining the longevity of anything - why does my A/C get mixed into this and blow warmer air when this occurs?

Ape Factory
08-08-2018, 08:12 PM
The a/c cutting out could be a safety mechanism when the car starts to get hot.

spense5
08-09-2018, 11:29 AM
looks like i have the audi pure protection platinum warranty pkg.
https://i.gyazo.com/c6dd593fc12e62ecdb3cd51f583123dd.png I'm hoping the thermo falls under here somewhere...I have a scheduled 35k service along with thermostat diagnosis for next tuesday. Do you guys honestly think I should reflash my car back to factory? I bought the car from an audi dealer and it had all the STaSIS exhaust, suspension, etc.. as far as they know it was tuned already? Not sure how that works, I dont want to be turned away..

AWDfreak
08-09-2018, 04:09 PM
The a/c cutting out could be a safety mechanism when the car starts to get hot.

Exactly! That's how I notice mine running hot (thermostat bad).

bwhite2332
08-09-2018, 07:08 PM
My 2008 s5 is doing the same thing. I took it in for the cat recall. Im hoping the cats are blocked up and bad. Hopefully that will let it breathe again and keep it at the correct operating temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hamzahj
08-10-2018, 05:07 AM
Just got this fixed actually since my ac was going out on the highway and my coolant temp was reading temps through the roof, turns out I had a previous leak and a temp fault which was what I suspected

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

spense5
08-10-2018, 09:57 AM
My 2008 s5 is doing the same thing. I took it in for the cat recall. Im hoping the cats are blocked up and bad. Hopefully that will let it breathe again and keep it at the correct operating temperature.

cat recalls are strictly for 2008-11 B8's? Mine is a 2012 but wondering if it was the full range for the V8 until the V6 was introduced or just specific years..

- - - Updated - - -

Just got this fixed actually since my ac was going out on the highway and my coolant temp was reading temps through the roof, turns out I had a previous leak and a temp fault which was what I suspected

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

Mind sharing if you went through the dealer or not and price? Im nervous. I do have that warranty listed above so hoping it's covered in some way

spense5
08-13-2018, 02:16 PM
Dropping off this evening at dealer, will be picking up a loaner in the morning from them and speaking to service dept. Anything I should stress or highlight for them to inspect regarding this issue?

spense5
08-14-2018, 10:55 AM
It's covered! $100 deductible, they're doing a 45k mile service as well even though im at like 33k (35k was done in January). Still owe about $550 for maintenance/service but better than what the thermostat cost wouldve been [wrench]

bwhite2332
08-14-2018, 12:19 PM
Well i fixed my cats for no charge (recall). It still seems to be over heating. The temp got up to 255! It has to be the thermostat. I had everything else for the cooling system replaced. FYI thermostat changed take 4-5 hours. Would recomment buting the housing off FCPEURO. Thinking about changing it myself

spense5
08-14-2018, 03:15 PM
Well i fixed my cats for no charge (recall). It still seems to be over heating. The temp got up to 255! It has to be the thermostat. I had everything else for the cooling system replaced. FYI thermostat changed take 4-5 hours. Would recomment buting the housing off FCPEURO. Thinking about changing it myself

thought cats too but apparently its strictly up to the 2011 V8's. If yours is still overheating I would assume thermostat for sure, members and other tech's said by 40-50k they usually get faulty. I'm barely at 33k =/

bwhite2332
08-14-2018, 03:21 PM
Im at 116k mikes

spense5
08-14-2018, 03:23 PM
Im at 116k mikes

holy shit, that's impressive. especially for living in IE

bwhite2332
08-14-2018, 03:28 PM
Im at 116k mikes

Miles

bwhite2332
08-14-2018, 04:30 PM
holy shit, that's impressive. especially for living in IE

Yeah i actually made it across the country to Pennsylvania and i started putting 93 oct in it (since the IE only has 91) and that somehow made the problem worse. Needless to say i can only drive my car a few miles without issue until i get it fixed

Rodomontade
08-27-2018, 02:59 PM
Miles

MILES? or KM?