PDA

View Full Version : Rs5 rotor experiences (looking to replace)

Audi0005
07-27-2018, 11:00 AM
Hey everyone , found a couple threads but nothing with concrete answers about aftermarket rotors.

Couple aftermarket Iíve found are
And reviews Iíve read

Girodics (most expensive option but very good rotor)
Jhm (tend to warp )
Ecs (2 piece but they donít make a replacement rings any more )
Stoptech (least expensive option one piece rotor)

They will be accompanied by hawk 5.0

Anyone have any input?

Crazy question .... how much are ceramic disc? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ICU2
07-27-2018, 11:45 AM
@JamesRS5 actually did the conversion, canít recall his stated cost. If U PM him he may share. IIRC, Shawn @Pacific German had a used set up for sales &was asking > than $6000.00 ? A pricey upgrade for sure but Iíve not read anything negative ~ them. Just depends on budget & how long U plan on keeping the car.

mcbuck
07-27-2018, 11:59 AM
I bought a set of new Girodisc from a member that never installed. They are definitely the most expensive option but look good and so far perform extremely well. I have them paired with the Hawk 5.0 and have been very happy with the combo. No noise, less initial bite but very linear.
Installation was cake once I got the old rotors to separate from the hubs.

Audi0005
07-27-2018, 12:07 PM
I bought a set of new Girodisc from a member that never installed. They are definitely the most expensive option but look good and so far perform extremely well. I have them paired with the Hawk 5.0 and have been very happy with the combo. No noise, less initial bite but very linear.
Installation was cake once I got the old rotors to separate from the hubs.

Is the missing bite from the pads or the girodics?

Audi0005
07-27-2018, 12:09 PM
@JamesRS5 actually did the conversion, canít recall his stated cost. If U PM him he may share. IIRC, Shawn @Pacific German had a used set up for sales &was asking > than $6000.00 ? A pricey upgrade for sure but Iíve not read anything negative ~ them. Just depends on budget & how long U plan on keeping the car.

Do you have to use any pads with them? Or is there specific pads to?

ICU2
07-27-2018, 12:42 PM
Do you have to use any pads with them? Or is there specific pads to?

Not that I know of BUT, I am by no means an authority. Iíd suggest the following members as legitimate, knowledgeable & helpful regarding the brakes on the RS5: superswiss/JamesRS5/ApeFactory/mcbuck. All owners of RS5, excellent technical, practical, real world knowledge w/tremendous patience & energy to explain to the non-mechanically inclined (like me) in a way even I can understand. All good guys & willing to help. Try the search function or PM them directly, Iím sure theyíd be willing to provide feedback to you.

s vier
07-27-2018, 04:44 PM

I ended up buying those and having them rebuilt. They are on my car now and are spectacular. JamesRS5 was very helpful. ApeFactory is too.

Ape Factory
07-27-2018, 09:48 PM
DEFINITELY stay with the two-piece rotors. I'd not heard about the JHM stuff warping. Brake disks don't actually warp. It's really an urban legend. The pulsating is caused by uneven material buildup, pad deposits, on the rotor's face or a manufacturing defect where the runout isn't within spec from the get go. The JHM rotors are not full floating so they can only expand in one direction though and that can lead to uneven pad wear under extreme conditions.

Going to ceramic, you'll need all the associated parts, calipers, lines, caliper bracket, shield, etc...and the coding. S Vier has the coding. While I've driven RS5's with standard brakes, I've not had substantial seat time with both the standard and ceramic brakes like S Vier and JamesRS5 have.

I will say this, with ceramics, the limiting factor is the quality of your tires. I really, really like the ceramic brakes. My only complaint is I'd like them to be a bit more linear and have better modulation towards the end of a stop from high speed. Nice solid bite and deceleration but it seems to tail off at the very end as you slow. It's not fade though, it's just a loss of feel. Hard to explain. I'm going to try some upgraded Pagid pads soon.

I'm amazed ECS is no longer sourcing outer rings? If that's the case, whatever they have in stock and on hand is it. I'm sure that disk isn't specific to just the ECS RS5 kit but I could be wrong. Girodisc or the ECS rotors IMO. Explore the Carbotech brake pad offerings. Pagid too.

superswiss
07-27-2018, 10:08 PM
Is the missing bite from the pads or the girodics?

It's the pads. The Hawk pads are more linear. OEM pads are generally non-linear, so they bite a lot initially, but don't linearly increase stopping power as you push harder. The Hawk pads stop harder, the harder you push. I much prefer the latter as it allows easier and finer modulation of the brakes.

I have the ECS tru-float rotors and I have no complaints about them. I'm on the second set of pads on them now as they barely wore over ~35k miles. Great rotors and with the Hawk 5 they perform amazing in daily driving and hard driving in the canyons. I also have SS lines and better fluid, though. Regarding the replacement rings, ECS never made replacement rings for these rotors. Instead they give a discount on full replacement rotors to the original buyer. You just have to call their sales staff. It's mentioned on their website at least last time I checked, but at the current rate I won't need to replace these rotors. Planning to get rid of the car this coming spring.

JamesRS5
07-28-2018, 01:00 AM
Going to ceramic, you'll need all the associated parts, calipers, lines, caliper bracket, shield, etc...and the coding. S Vier has the coding. While I've driven RS5's with standard brakes, I've not had substantial seat time with both the standard and ceramic brakes like S Vier and JamesRS5 have.

Spot on, itís not just a case of switching rotors, all in with installation included youíre looking at north of $9000 for this conversion, you can shave a few hundred from this if youíre handy with the wrenches but the actual hardware costs are pretty significant on this conversion.
I didnít do a code change on mine and havenít seen any requirement to do this, I believe the coding enables the pads to wipe the rotors on cold days to get some heat in them, but Iíve never noticed any issues on initial braking.....Iíve also never had a day where it been below 50F.

Parts required for this conversion would be:

Carbon Ceramic Rotors
Calipers
Pads
Brake lines
Larger heat shields
A few litres of brake fluid

I purchased the whole kit from Ales (Littledevilss) on here. The CCS brakes I find are more difficult to modulate in slow moving traffic, they bite quite hard so you have to be very easy on the pedal, itís not an issue, just a case of relearning how to use the brakes so you donít give the passengers whiplash.

ICU2
07-28-2018, 06:44 AM
Planning to get rid of the car this coming spring.

Sad to read this last part, U R a wealth of valuable info ~ this platform. What will be your next vehicle?

Ape Factory
07-28-2018, 06:51 AM
Regarding the replacement rings, ECS never made replacement rings for these rotors. Instead they give a discount on full replacement rotors to the original buyer. You just have to call their sales staff. It's mentioned on their website at least last time I checked, but at the current rate I won't need to replace these rotors. Planning to get rid of the car this coming spring.

Thanks for the clarification and good to know. I'm planning on replacing the OEM rear rotors with the ECS rears when needed.

[QUOTE=JamesRS5;13219974I believe the coding enables the pads to wipe the rotors on cold days to get some heat in them, but Iíve never noticed any issues on initial braking.....Iíve also never had a day where it been below 50F.
The CCS brakes I find are more difficult to modulate in slow moving traffic, they bite quite hard so you have to be very easy on the pedal, itís not an issue, just a case of relearning how to use the brakes so you donít give the passengers whiplash.[/QUOTE]

From what I read, the coding will occasionally wipe the rotors when it's raining. They do have a different feel, initially, in the rain. They work fine below 50F and I've driven it regularly through the winter with temps in that range and below. They work surprisingly well from cold but as James said, you'll need to adjust your touch around town. Just takes some getting used to.

But it's a pretty big cost outlay. More than the Brembo GTR front kit. It does shed some serious pounds though, both through the rotor and the caliper.

Audi0005
07-28-2018, 06:56 AM
Great information! Thanks everyone

Any more info on stoptechs? Or any other replacement similar (ecs, jhm, giro)

danidoza7
07-28-2018, 07:38 AM
Initially, I went with OEM rotors and Hawks 5.0 pads and I hated it.

Hawks 5.0 were not for me and you lose a lot of breaking power with those pads.

Girodisc brake pads and oem rotors was the best combo for me. My buddy did Girodisc brake pads and ECS rotors on his RS5. I actually liked his brake feel a little better than mines, but both combos are super ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

superswiss
07-28-2018, 10:54 AM
Sad to read this last part, U R a wealth of valuable info ~ this platform. What will be your next vehicle?

Thanks. I had been on the fence and was trying to convince myself that I could be happy with the B9 RS5, but this week's unveiling of the facelifted 2019 AMG C63 S on the Bilster Berg pretty much settled my debate. The 2017/18 didn't quite do it for me, but AMG has done all the right things with the 2019. The driver zone is just simply awesome and what a driver zone should be in a car like this. Total driver focus with the new ability to change drive mode and individual components such as exhaust, transmission etc. all from the steering wheel. The digital cockpit looks even better than the Audi VC and all the performance information, car telemetry and track data you can pull up just shows how AMG is more focused on making a performance car for the driver and most importantly they got rid of the clunky 7 speed MCT and replaced it with the much better 9 speed MCT that now finally has a super responsive manual mode and even the automatic mode is super impressive. The transmission can downshift 5 gears as fast as one gear. I don't think I've ever seen that in an automatic transmission. Not only have they done a lot around the performance, but they've also improve comfort in comfort mode, by lowering the spring rate and tuning the software to give the car a wider spread, so it should be as good of a GT as the RS5. I'm quite excited about it and in contact with my Mercedes dealership about when it can be ordered. Will most likely do European Delivery again and probably spend about 2 months in Europe. I hesitated leaving the Audi brand, but at the end of the day I had to admit to myself that Audi Sport currently just doesn't build a car that excites me all that much, other than the R8 of course, but that's not a daily/GT kinda car. And it also continues to proof my personal strategy of waiting for the facelift. The German's tend to iron out all the initial complaints about a car during the facelift, so the B9.5 RS5 might get me interested again to come back to the brand.

Initially, I went with OEM rotors and Hawks 5.0 pads and I hated it.

Hawks 5.0 were not for me and you lose a lot of breaking power with those pads.

Girodisc brake pads and oem rotors was the best combo for me. My buddy did Girodisc brake pads and ECS rotors on his RS5. I actually liked his brake feel a little better than mines, but both combos are super ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

Let's not confuse anybody with this statement. The HPS 5.0 have significantly more stopping power than the OEM pads. They also perform in a much wider temperature range and therefore are much more fade resistant. I've never tried them with OEM rotors in the front, but I have them with OEM rotors in the rear. The rotors certainly make a difference as the tru-float design ensures the pads always have maximum contact with the rotors, so that further increases stopping power. But as said above, they are linear in their application, so to stop hard requires longer pedal travel. That's generally preferred by folks who performance drive cars, because it allows finer dosing of the brakes. I personally dislike OEM brakes that are very grabby the moment you apply the brakes. Makes daily driving somewhat annoying. The RS5 were not as bad. The worst are the A3 brakes. Every time I get an A3 loaner and try to pull out of the dealer lot I look like I don't know how to drive. The slightest application of the brakes at parking lot speeds stops the car in its tracks. It takes me a while to readjust and I never quite get to the point where I like the brakes. But the HPS 5.0 with the ECS rotors stop my RS5 much better than the OEM brakes to the point where it triggers ABS on bone dry roads with Pilot Super Sport tires and so far no fading in the canyons. I just put on Pilot Sport 4S, but I still need to brake them in, but I expect even better stopping power due to the higher grip of the PS4S. One thing that should be mentioned is that braking is only as good as one's tires. Triggering the ABS on dry roads is not really a good thing, because that means the tires can't keep up with the brakes, so there is always a balance to be found. In my case the ABS only triggers at lower speeds, so it doesn't happen in fast corners, but for example with the R8 V10 Plus I have to be very careful as the P Zero are just no match for the CCBs on it. ABS comes on all the time during hard braking in the canyons. Not a good thing frankly.

Ape Factory
07-30-2018, 07:21 AM
As part of my pre-road trip inspection, I pulled all four wheels last night just to give everything a once over. My rear pads have worn down substantially since I last checked and they'll need replacing soon (no wear indicator light yet). The rotors look like they could take another set of pads no problem but I didn't mic them. I gotta stop threshold braking so often. I may be in for new rear rotors/pads sooner than I thought and will probably lean towards the ECS rotors but need to check what they charge for replacements. The Girodiscs are probably a bit heavier and they're within $100 on price and replacement rings are only $500 for the rear pair. Not too bad.