PDA

View Full Version : t04e turbo on 1.8T manifold

mupk0
07-16-2018, 04:16 AM
Hello. After some research i cant seems to decide what manifold should i use for my t04e turbo. As i see ATP ones are with far too ahead mounting and there is a pain in the ass for the TIP. The top mount one are a little better choice but as i read they crack a lot. What exhaust manifold and TIP do you use in similar setups ? I was wondering to build a manifild by myself ( i am a welder ) in which i will put the T3 flange at some little angle behind cyl number 3 and by that i will have enought space forward of the turbo.

shoguncito
07-16-2018, 12:04 PM
having the equipment and ability, do the manifold yourself

Seerlah
07-17-2018, 07:09 AM
I disagree. If making a tubular manifold, then yes. But for a standard cast side mount, material cost makes purchasing something like an ATP clone more cost efficient (ie $50 USD).

Bottom line, they are all crap. Best manifold on the market is Pag Parts, but he will not sell the manifold separately. I ran 3 different manifolds so far, with current one being a custom t3 tubular one made by a friend. Prior, another custom one that kept cracking on me (gave up on it).

If actually putting effort into making a manifold (meaning not your standard side mount), I would say that is the route to take. Even if a person who finds joy in personal accomplishments I would say go for it also, no matter design. But if stuck in a rut of what works and what doesn't, they are all crap IMO.

garytightpants
07-17-2018, 10:10 AM
Just bust out the welder

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

vrmm
07-18-2018, 11:18 PM
The stock manifold is cast is it not? When you're busting out that welder, is it coming with some pretty experienced skills?
If I remember correctly with flanges and piping that was quite legit it ended up costing me like 350~$ to make a twin scroll.
If you search for vrmm homemade twinscroll you'll find pretty much everything you'd need I imagine. I think in the same post I talk about Spa top mounts that aren't or weren't really available yet.

You will need to have the t3 flange as close to number 3 cylinder outlet as possible to get room for most big turbos.

vrmm
07-18-2018, 11:32 PM
Nevermind it was 175$..