PDA

View Full Version : Which wears faster, front or rear tires?

Ape Factory
06-30-2018, 06:04 PM
Curious if other RS5 owners experience their fronts wearing faster than their rear tires? I had new tires on the front and almost new tires on the rear when I bought my car. I figured, given my driving habits, that I'd wear through the rears more quickly. So I swapped the slightly used set to the front almost immediately. Well, that was a mistake. The fronts wore more quickly than the rears. Gotta stop threshold braking on the street.

After throwing my wife into the dash again last night and her complaining about wearing components out, (seatbelt!) I tried to tell her that the front ceramic disks will pretty much last the life of the car (yeah I know) and I don't need to worry about wear. She actually recorded me in an attempt to use it against me at some point in the distant future. I had to admit that yes, the pads wear. But honey ceramic. Ceramic!!! Feel that force!

I have a new set of PS4s in and ready to go on. May have it done on Monday and will stick to a strict 3K rotation schedule. Bit quiet round these parts as of late and bored at work.

jasonsowers
06-30-2018, 06:16 PM
Your car is badly aligned.

Ape Factory
06-30-2018, 06:39 PM
Huh really? Iím in factory spec and itís even across the tread. What was your tire wear experience with your RS5?

Audibot
06-30-2018, 08:04 PM
Every quattro car I've driven (about 5 total), unless horribly aligned, has had the fronts wear faster than the rears. Part of it is weight (Audis are notorious for being nose-heavy with the engine in front of the wheels), and I believe part is just steering in general will wear them faster than the rears. If you're lowered, that usually affects it even more as the camber gets out of spec.

You say you are in spec, so that shouldn't have to do with it. Maybe they were bad/soft tires? (I've had some of those previously) You should be rotating them approximately every oil change or 5k miles, whichever happens first.

namvar
06-30-2018, 08:13 PM
fronts have been wearing faster for me. i try to rotate every 5K miles.

Ape Factory
06-30-2018, 08:15 PM
Makes sense. The fronts accelerate, brake and turn, with the heavy V8 above them. While the fronts/rears did not start out with the same tread depth, the difference between them, after 5K miles, grew in proportion. But again, even wear across the width of the tire, nothing abnormal that would suggest a bad alignment like out of spec toe. I'm lowered but I have adjustable everything (including upper adjustable arms) and run fairly modest camber and toe within spec. I was caught off guard by the fact that I'd make the mistake of putting the tires with the lower tread depth up front expecting them to wear more slowly. Wasn't thinking.

I did rotate them back, putting the newer pair up front but chose to go in an X-pattern which also proved to be a mistake as it eventually introduced a bit of vibration that was relieved when I swapped them side to side. Don't think this particular brand/model liked the reverse rotation (they're non-directional asymmetrical). Probably had a bit of cupping at the tread block edges.

I wasn't super fond of the tires but I definitely don't want to make the same mistake with the Michelins. I had an Evo a while back and that car seemed to wear it's tires pretty much perfectly front to rear. Lighter engine I guess.

ffearless
06-30-2018, 10:36 PM
I put a set of new michelin pilot sport 4s 285 30 20s on this spring and just rotated them Friday. The fronts had .007 to .013" more wear than the rears.

Ape Factory
06-30-2018, 10:45 PM
That's the exact size I'm about to slap on. How much mileage prior to the rotation?

ffearless
06-30-2018, 11:05 PM
About 8,000. I drive about 625 miles per week.

wkhanna
07-01-2018, 07:29 AM
i have had audis since the 80's....

all have worn the fronts more than the rears....

....i agree with Audibot... nose-heavy weight distribution along with the fronts having to cope with steering under braking & acceleration....

my process has always been rotating front & rears every 5k with the oil change....

jmho... ymmv....

Sazexa
07-01-2018, 10:36 AM
My S5 runs through fronts faster, too. I'm lowered, only about 1-less degree of camber from factory across both front and rear default settings. I hammer it out of corners and like to break the rear a little loose as well. I still wear through fronts. Our cars are only off balance front to rear by about 3 or 4%, I believe, like a 54/46 weight split default. But yeah, the torque going to the front, the weight load when breaking specifically, and the V8 being FORWARD of the front axle is what really kill the front tires.

JamesRS5
07-01-2018, 12:20 PM
Have a look at a slow motion video of the car acellerating hard, the front wheels will lose traction on the front wheels as the weight transfers to the rear, look around 1:13 on this video, you can almost see it:

https://youtu.be/f5ZXTDLIUXw

Add to that the steering and majority of the braking effort coming from the fronts, not surprising they wear faster than the rears.

AWDfreak
07-02-2018, 04:59 PM
Fronts always wear faster than rears, for the reasons others have already stated. Doesn't matter if there are all wheel drive or the size of the engine. The exception will be those rear wheel drive cars that are pushed really hard and burning rubber...

Ape Factory
07-02-2018, 05:11 PM
Strangely, my Evo wore the tires very evenly front to rear. I went through three sets on that car before I sold it and I did rotate regularly. I kept the suspension stock on that car.

I put the Michelins on the RS5 today. The ride improvement alone is pretty amazing and they fill out the wheel well far better than the Sumitomos ever did. Had to walk them through taking the wheels off and putting back on due to the ceramic rotors. I said one chip in them will cost you nine grand. They were quite careful from then on. They still managed to inflate the tires to 44F/41R but I keep a tire gauge in the car and lowered it to factor spec. Free rotations and nitrogen fill for life.

James, I've watched that video a few times. I do always like to point out that rolling friction is greater than sliding friction but I do get, and agree, with what you're trying to say!

wkhanna
07-03-2018, 10:00 AM
.......Had to walk them through taking the wheels off and putting back on due to the ceramic rotors. I said one chip in them will cost you nine grand............

.....porsche dealers (& prolly others) have specially designed shrouds that they use to protect them in the shop for when wheels are removed from cars with ceramic rotors.......

JamesRS5
07-03-2018, 12:50 PM
My shop used a duvet when fitting my KW springs [:D]