PDA

View Full Version : Inspection from hell, help!

cwatson427
06-29-2018, 12:30 AM
Hey guys I've had a nightmare trying to get my 2001 Audi a4 1.8t inspected. I have 3 not ready or incomplete.....Secondary air, o2 sensors and catalytic converter failed or incomplete. Now I have vcds and I tried setting them but the tests keep starting and turning off.....Now a few notes about the problem...Previous owner has stage 1 tune done, no check engine light, only engine code I'm getting is 18014 rough road/engine torque signal from abs (i disconnected abs module) 2nd fault is for hvac 00787 temp sensor in fresh air intake (G89). the previous owner installed a cold air intake. I tested secondary air with the output tests and relay, solenoid and sai pump was all functioning but when I did the cold start in the morning and turn off I don't hear it working. Don't know if his changing stock intake messed up the system or what. Any help how I could set even one of these to ready and I'd be good for inspection. It's been a nightmare. It's been up for a year and gotta hold breath every time passing a cop. Could o2 sensors be bad even with no check engine or codes? Could the tune have deleted sai? I'm in a wicked bind guys. I've looked up everywhere on here but can't pin point my issue. I GREATLY appreciate any help

fR3ZNO
06-29-2018, 05:17 AM
From your post it sounds like you already tried to set readiness through VCDS? While going the readiness setting, there are multiple tests that will tell you the health of the catalytic converter and O2 sensors. I can't see how you'd be getting an incomplete or failed readiness SAI, O2S and Cat converter unless you were getting trouble codes for them too.

The HVAC code won't affect your ability to pass since the code is not in the ECM (engine control module).

Regarding the SAI, the pump won't run every time you cold start the engine, unless it's a relatively cool/cold morning.

Depending on how the PO installed the "cold air" intake, it could cause some issues if something was left disconnected, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

If the tune deleted SAI, then you shouldn't be failing readiness either, I'm not totally sure though, because there are different ways for a tuner to "delete" SAI and how it comes up during an inspection/scan.

cwatson427
06-29-2018, 08:51 PM
Hey Fresno thanks for the tips. Yeah i don't understand it either. No codes for 02 and no check engine light. I have the day off so tomorrow I'll try to run vag on it again and see what comes up. When I tried to set the readies the test would turn on as I had my rpms around 2000, 2500 but then would turn off. Seems I can't get it to stay on and complete the test. I'll try to give more info on the problem tomorrow. I might have to bite the bullet and take it to a shop to have exactly what diagnosed but I'd really like to pull it off myself. I only need to set one off the 3. Hey on a side note I'm doing a k04 swap next week so is it possible to have the tuner have them coded to pass? I have a Apr stage 1 now but I'm gonna have retuned with for the k04 so maybe tgats my way out of this mess? Thanks bud

cwatson427
06-29-2018, 09:05 PM
Also Fresno I have the aftermarket test pipe so that means it's got no cat any more right? Sorry I'm just learning about my 1.8t and the turbo. It's my first turbo car but could that info help at all? But even still that could make cat fail but o2 should still pass right? I have the 2 o2 sensors on the test pipe and was gonna try to replace them if that would help 02 pass but also don't wanna spend 100-200$ and habe it still come up failed. Cause I have no faults for o2 or check engine. That's what's weird.

cwatson427
06-29-2018, 09:08 PM
Shit I forgot to also explain I had got p1424 code that came back to secondary air and I cleared it a while back to see if it would come back and it hasn't come back at all.