PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure drops at high rpms

nathan88
06-27-2018, 04:38 PM
Hey everyone, I am a new second owner of a 2000 A4 1.8t fwd. I just had a bumper to bumper inspection and the shop said the oil pressure drops off to dangerous levels at about 3000 rpm, but is fine before then(I cant tell because my LED display is burned out). They think its a result of oil sludge, but another mechanic I know says it could be a bypass valve stuck open. The car has been regularly serviced by the dealership and been running 5W-40 full synthetic since it got off the boat. If anyone has had a similar issue I would love to know what the issue is and how to go about solving it. Thanks a bunch.

down_n_dapper
06-27-2018, 05:29 PM
I'm 100% sure this issue has been covered to death, have a quick search about oil pressure issues.

Common cause is a blocked oil pickup tube in the sump

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

wolfe2118
06-28-2018, 12:21 PM
I just had this same issue. The pickup tube was clogged causing low oil pressure but then after that and the oil pump was replaced I found that the bypass valve was sticking once the oil would get hot. What I found after hooking up an oil pressure gauge is that after about 30 minutes of driving the oil pressure would drop and not return. I could then turn off the engine and restart it immediately and I would have oil pressure again. That issue went away after a few days of driving with the new oil pump, pickup tube, and good oil. Don't bother adding things to your oil, just drop the oil pan and fix it before you waste anymore money.

walky_talky20
06-28-2018, 12:50 PM
Yep. This is textbook 1.8T pickup tube clogging. They really should have made a trap door access panel on the oil pans so a clean-out service wasn't such a big deal. So many 1.8T's would be saved. So. Many.