PDA

View Full Version : Built internals on B8 4.2L V8 + boost?

Benzo1133
05-14-2018, 07:40 AM
I havn't seen anyone pull significant gains from this motor at all. 600hp seems impossible. Everything is super expensive just to keep running stock. I'm thinking the money just isn't worth it. But then I started to follow this guy in New Jersey swap his 4.2L for 4.0TT. I thought that project will cost more than building 4.2L. If I were to build the engine ( forged rods, pistons & cam) and possibly bore/stroke/port and sleeve. I don't have the money to do this, but if I did. JHM supercharger with near max output. I know we aren't talking about a 2JZ, but what are thoughts. Or could I just make another attempt at twin turbo. Tavarish on you tube fabricates turbo kit on Lambo, gives me so much hope. Spend the crazy money on engine management system and locate a tuner. The b8.5 3.0L V6 is built for boost. How much different is the actual engine from from the 4.2l? I would assume it's just internally forged and reinforced with 2 cylinders chopped off. A simple tune can gain nearly 100hp without changing anything mechanically. I'm done rambling. Let me know what you guys think.

tar
05-14-2018, 08:49 PM
Rambling.

Benzo1133
05-15-2018, 12:37 PM
Anyone else? Preferably not reiterating.

RHawk
05-29-2018, 08:20 AM
I havn't seen anyone pull significant gains from this motor at all. 600hp seems impossible. Everything is super expensive just to keep running stock. I'm thinking the money just isn't worth it. But then I started to follow this guy in New Jersey swap his 4.2L for 4.0TT. I thought that project will cost more than building 4.2L. If I were to build the engine ( forged rods, pistons & cam) and possibly bore/stroke/port and sleeve. I don't have the money to do this, but if I did. JHM supercharger with near max output. I know we aren't talking about a 2JZ, but what are thoughts. Or could I just make another attempt at twin turbo. Tavarish on you tube fabricates turbo kit on Lambo, gives me so much hope. Spend the crazy money on engine management system and locate a tuner. The b8.5 3.0L V6 is built for boost. How much different is the actual engine from from the 4.2l? I would assume it's just internally forged and reinforced with 2 cylinders chopped off. A simple tune can gain nearly 100hp without changing anything mechanically. I'm done rambling. Let me know what you guys think.I have always wondered the same thing. Very interested to see what you find out! All these companies really go for the v6 layout for HP, but you don't see many 4.2 high performance products. You may see some YouTube sensation build a 2,000 HP 4.2 but it's a one off, and there's no way we could ever afford the maintenance on an engine like that....and not become single. I've been wondering why more companies do not make aftermarket pistons and intake manifold and other bolt ons for slight gains. Maybe there are products like that and I just don't see them, maybe I'm not looking hard enough......

Sent from my HTC U11 using Audizine mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

11S5V8
08-17-2018, 01:21 PM
what you're looking for you'll find in the Ford/Chevy/Mopar community (engine building/budget engine building). aside from electronics and bolt-ons these cars aren't made to have the engine removed and built up...

Benzo1133
08-18-2018, 08:27 AM
I guess I just don't understand why? Too me engineering is a science. Make a pump move air fast. Power to weight ratios. Tolerences for the engine are the limit to its power output. If you just said it would cost too much money to accomplish a built engine, I'd understand better why no one is doing it. Durability to heat and friction, weight, and space/area. These things make sense to me. Auto makers aren't stupid. I'm sure if they wanted to make a 1000hp Audi they could. Price, reliability and demand for such a product are reasons they don't. I don't believe its impossible. American muscle may be the smarter option financially. If money wasn't an issue what are these engines really capable of?