PDA

View Full Version : Any other way to get RS5 breather tubes off?

Ape Factory
03-16-2018, 09:42 AM
Curious if anyone has found a relatively easy way to get the vent breather tubes off the bottom of the intake tubes on the RS5. I have the four-prong version which seems to necessitate the special too. I need a way to get them on and off quickly as I'll be swapping things back and forth. I have a special tool on the way but it won't arrive in time for my scheduled experiment. Looking for a plan B. [headbang]

Cloudg8
03-16-2018, 09:44 AM
Curious if anyone has found a relatively easy way to get the vent breather tubes off the bottom of the intake tubes on the RS5. I have the four-prong version which seems to necessitate the special too. I need a way to get them on and off quickly as I'll be swapping things back and forth. I have a special tool on the way but it won't arrive in time for my scheduled experiment. Looking for a plan B. [headbang]

Yah honestly that tool is huge. I used it to take off my tubes. Itís a pain in the ass also with the tool. Canít think of another way to get it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ape Factory
03-16-2018, 10:12 AM
Well foook. Looks like Iíll have to reschedule.

JamesRS5
03-16-2018, 01:27 PM
I cut the 4 lug clip so only 2 opposing clips remain and use a zip tie or you could use a Velcro strap to keep it secure. My intake comes off once a year for the annual service so I swap between the Eventuri and OE intake. According to Audi, modification to the intake will void your warranty so I donít take the risk until next year when the warranty runs out.

I did post up a guide on here but it died when photobucket became thieves.

Ape Factory
03-16-2018, 01:34 PM
Shoot me a link, I have a Firefox extension that works around photobucket.

JamesRS5
03-16-2018, 02:08 PM
My photobucket account is closed so the pics arenít hosted on there anymore. Let me see if I can dig out the pictures and get something sorted but they may be on my work computer.

To try and describe it; the 4 lug clip is a square section with a lug on each side that locks onto barb shaped tube on the inlet hose, the square shape has only two support arms going to the lower section which houses the locking lugs, I removed the two sections which arenít supported by the arms so itís easy to just spring them open pull the clip off.
I then use a zip tie to hold the two arms together once itís reinstalled.

In future I may remove this clip altogether and use a section of silicone tube and hose clamps to give me more room to play with and make the job easier.

Ape Factory
03-16-2018, 04:20 PM
Ok makes sense. I've looked at the connectors before, while changing my spark plugs out. Car too hot to mess with right now but I'll take a look at it tomorrow morning.

And I had the same thought...why not just replace with silicone hose? Why does Audi have to be so difficult? :)

JamesRS5
03-17-2018, 02:59 AM
The pointy heads at Audi like to engineer the shit out of things, why have a simple worm drive clamp when you can spend millions on a clip used on no other component on any other car and then develop a single use tool to go with it.

Ape Factory
03-17-2018, 09:31 AM
This made me laugh. So true. But...I was able to get them off easily without the tool by cutting the two unsupported clips per your suggestion. Worked like a charm. Cheers! I did notice the breather tubes coming out of the valve covers were the two clip variety and easy to remove so I'm comfortable with two clips on the intake tubes..

The Eventuri is already on, with the type II filters. Just about spit out my coffee with the little flyer included in the box. Says check the filters every 5,000 kilometers. Thinking they mean for debris like leaves.

It'll be a bit rough to swap it on the dyno as I won't have free reign and will be paying by the hour. So I'll have to break it up into two days. It takes me longer to line everything up correctly than actually put the intake on. But mine came with the front scoops already attached and ready to go. So I have two sets, the OEM and the OEM Eventuri modified.

JamesRS5
03-17-2018, 10:32 AM
I pulled mine after a year, now bearing in mind itís a dusty environment here there wasnít really anything to write home about in the filter. I blew it out with compressed air onto a white floor tile, just dust and sand in there.

My replacements will be here tomorrow, looking forward to swapping them out.

Ape Factory
03-17-2018, 12:19 PM
It's a fairly straightforward process. Take out the "bell". Remove the t-bolt band clamp and pull the mounting plate/filter out as one unit. You'll have to pry a bit. Once the filter is exposed, undo the worm gear band clamp around the base of the filter. I used a interior panel puller/pick to separate the filter from the housing. It gets stuck on there and needs a bit of smartly-applied force to break it free but comes right out once loosened.

Just did my first run with the car and I have to say, I did notice the difference despite the temps being about 10 degrees warmer and the humidity being up. If I have time, I'll monitor the IAT's in town and on the highway. Anxious to get it on the dyno to see the difference. As an added bonus, I'll be testing the stock airboxes with K&N filters.

Ape Factory
04-05-2018, 05:30 AM
Adding a photo to further explain to those who haven't tried to remove the intake elbows yet. It'll further explain what James and I wrote above.

There are two support struts (one is on the other side, out of view in the photo) for the locking ring which essentially has four barbs that clamp on to the breather tube which pushed down into the fitting. You'll want to cut where there isn't a support strut. Cut on the red line, opposing sides. Then you'll be able to pinch the fitting and remove the breather hose.

https://s20.postimg.org/4jbynfze5/RS5_lock_ring.png (https://postimages.org/)

dirtydub01
04-05-2018, 07:04 AM
ECS Tuning sells the tool they include with their intake separately just for those quad lock connectors. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/quad-lock-release-tool-assy/004059ecs11a/

Ape Factory
04-05-2018, 09:20 AM
Huh interesting. A while back they werenít selling them separately from their intake kit. The Eventuri one is about 1/6th the cost.

Beast
04-05-2018, 09:34 AM
Huh interesting. A while back they werenít selling them separately from their intake kit. The Eventuri one is about 1/6th the cost.

Haha yeah the eventuri tool is 12$ but the cutting method you posted seems much better. Thank you for the picture, I may just do that instead. What tool did you use to make the cuts in the small space of the engine bay?

Ape Factory
04-05-2018, 10:50 AM
You can use a small utility knife, kind with snap off blades or even just a small flat head screwdriver. The plastic is thin and brittle so it snaps easily at that spot.

Johnhanson
04-05-2018, 01:04 PM
Hahahaha this gives me ptsd to when I installed mine in 5 degree weather in my garage and snapped the tool. I had a series of screwdrivers magyvered and levered to remove it. That one step took over an hour, a lot of cursing, and a lot of blood from my knuckles.

In hindsight I would have just cut it then but itís so hard to know that would be a reasonable thing to do - especially when youíre looking through the red fog of rage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk