PDA

View Full Version : Convert quattro tranny to fwd?

vtraudt
03-10-2018, 04:27 AM
I need to convert a quattro tranny into fwd (have fwd tranny on hand) for test purposes (2 wheel dyno)
Can I just swap out the last part (center diff?)? Or is a lot more involved, and my current plan (swap entire tranny) is preferred?

MrSnickelsnizer
03-10-2018, 06:37 AM
Have to swap entire transmissions, otherwise prepare for pain if you start opening up your trannies.
Should fit in just fine.

walky_talky20
03-10-2018, 07:53 AM
You can do this by pulling the torsen differential out of the tailshaft, and then installing a welded torsen in it's place. This does not require removal of the transmission, just remove the driveshaft and rear tailshaft cover. But you'd need to come up with another torsen center differential that you don't mind destroying.

garytightpants
03-12-2018, 06:11 AM
You can do this by pulling the torsen differential out of the tailshaft, and then installing a welded torsen in it's place. This does not require removal of the transmission, just remove the driveshaft and rear tailshaft cover. But you'd need to come up with another torsen center differential that you don't mind destroying.

What this guy said.

at the same time, you could make it rwd too. either or.

walky_talky20
03-12-2018, 07:41 AM
For temporary dyno purposes, I think a welded torsen and FWD is definitely the easier option. Just remove the driveshaft and swap the center diff. If you went RWD, you'd have to unbolt driveshaft, swap center diff, remove both front axles and procure and install front out axle stubs. A lot of extra work. The upside of that extra work is you can do donuts in the parking lot after you're done with dyno things. [drive]

garytightpants
03-12-2018, 09:36 AM
For temporary dyno purposes, I think a welded torsen and FWD is definitely the easier option. Just remove the driveshaft and swap the center diff. If you went RWD, you'd have to unbolt driveshaft, swap center diff, remove both front axles and procure and install front out axle stubs. A lot of extra work. The upside of that extra work is you can do donuts in the parking lot after you're done with dyno things. [drive]

Exaclty [:D]