PDA

View Full Version : Revision Unitronic GTRS software

Droors43
01-19-2006, 08:45 PM
Well, I received my ECU back in the mail today with the 2nd file from Unitronic for my setup. I hooked her up, did a TBA, set the MBC down to about 18psi before I really go on it. Went for a drive and she pulled about like it did before (when I was running 24psi) only on 18psi.

I smiled a good bit.

I pulled off the road and adjusted the boost up even more...around 21-22psi. I take off in 1st and shiit! Grab 2nd, grab 3rd and I mean I was fkkkng pinned to my seat at full boost (particularly 3rd).

I pull over once again and turned the boost up just a tad more to 24 (even hit 25 in 4th and 5th...perhaps that's not smart. We'll see once I do some data logging but never heard any pinging or anything).

Anyway, this thing is just fast....I mean fast. I can't even explain how much different this is than my first file. I would punch it in 5th gear at 70mph, hit 24-25 psi asap and be at 100 in a matter of a blink of the eye....no shit, that quick and not much of an exaggeration.

I never VAGged it yet to run some logs, but I will this weekend when there's less traffic out and about. I'll be sure to stay in touch once I either get to a dyno or race my friends Stg 3 Jetta again...this time with a video.

Thanks to Sean and MZ @ Unitronic...

And to think my file is only around 90% complete...

Any idea on a time frame for another update after I run my logs, Sean? Sorry to ask, but I can't get enough.

Take care

One last thing....my front driver side driveshaft needs replaced. What are some good aftermarket companies I can turn to so I can upgrade my driveshafts to something more heavy duty?

Sean@unitronic
01-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Next time around I am going to send a nice clean towel.............[:D]

Anyway I am glad you like the changes! Let the car adapt for a few days then we will see what needs to be done.

[drive] it like you stole it!!

Sean@unitronic
01-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Droors43

One last thing....my front driver side driveshaft needs replaced. What are some good aftermarket companies I can turn to so I can upgrade my driveshafts to something more heavy duty?

R axles [up] [up]

mmart6545
01-19-2006, 09:50 PM
I'm glad you are happy with your file and all....but dude, cranking a beta file to 24+ psi without logging? Are you nuts? When I got my 3+ kit, I started with the electronic boost controler and worked my way SLOWLY up monitoring with the computer the whole way. When I new it was safe, I moved over to the n75. You may be asking for trouble.

Yuikio
01-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Sounds like I know who to call when I get a job. [:D]

beejohn
01-19-2006, 10:44 PM
yeah definitely do some logging to make sure there is no throttle cut going over 21psi. giac had a hard time getting around that, wonder how unitronic did it.

i think im leaning towards a gt2871r elim, i assume you guys at unitronic would be able to tune for that as well?

OutkastSL
01-19-2006, 11:05 PM
sounds great, wish you were near a dyno to get some numbers!!!

mike-2ptzero
01-19-2006, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by beejohn
yeah definitely do some logging to make sure there is no throttle cut going over 21psi. giac had a hard time getting around that, wonder how unitronic did it.

i think im leaning towards a gt2871r elim, i assume you guys at unitronic would be able to tune for that as well?

LOL, that was a good one. GIAC just wouldn't turn that safety off for the retail kits. They turned off the over boost safety on my K03(24psi) and my GT35r(no limit) chip, they also did that on the J31 K04 chip which hits 28psi and also for the K05 version which hits 22psi. GIAC figured out how to do that on my K03 chip back in 2001.

bitterchild
01-20-2006, 12:00 AM
i feel ya mike, getting tired of the groupies too

salz2135
01-20-2006, 12:35 AM
is the software you're running available to the general public?

Sean@unitronic
01-20-2006, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by salz2135
is the software you're running available to the general public?

Shoot me an Email if you want it[up]

Droors43
01-20-2006, 06:35 AM
The boost level should be fine. I never had the trottle plate closing with my first file at 24psi...always 100% until redline, then I'd just go limp b/c actual boost was much more than requested (the first file only requested 18psi and there was no throttle closing). Sorry if I didn't articulate my thought too well.

As far as the boost limit is concerned, the MAP sensor allows for 22.5 psi (I think Sean had mentioned) and this file requests 22.5 psi. So, the requested boost for this file is not far from 24 (which I had it set at). This particular software from Uni will work around that with my particular car in the next revision.

Sean might be better able to discuss the particulars.

Sean@unitronic
01-20-2006, 07:58 AM
The boost level should be fine. I never had the trottle plate closing with my first file at 24psi...always 100% until redline, then I'd just go limp b/c actual boost was much more than requested (the first file only requested 18psi and there was no throttle closing). Sorry if I didn't articulate my thought too well.

As far as the boost limit is concerned, the MAP sensor allows for 22.5 psi (I think Sean had mentioned) and this file requests 22.5 psi. So, the requested boost for this file is not far from 24 (which I had it set at). This particular software from Uni will work around that with my particular car in the next revision.

Sean might be better able to discuss the particulars.

22.5psi is the max boost the car will be able to run without using a 3 bar sensor. you can run higher boost but you will need to crank up the fuel pressure to get the correct AFR.

94jedi
01-20-2006, 08:08 AM
Sean I pm'd you. Just had a quick question.

mike-2ptzero
01-20-2006, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Sean@unitronic
22.5psi is the max boost the car will be able to run without using a 3 bar sensor. you can run higher boost but you will need to crank up the fuel pressure to get the correct AFR.

Are you saying that the most you can run is 22.5 or the most you can request is 22.5? Reason I ask is because the max boost reading for a car at sea level will not be the same for a car that has a higher atmos pressure since the max reading of the sensor is set.

Sean@unitronic
01-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by mike-2ptzero
Are you saying that the most you can run is 22.5 or the most you can request is 22.5? Reason I ask is because the max boost reading for a car at sea level will not be the same for a car that has a higher atmos pressure since the max reading of the sensor is set.

The ECUs have a BARO sensor that compensates for elevation. The max the sensor can read is 2550Mbar. this is the max requested. You can run more boost than 22.5psi, but you will need to increase the fuel pressure to compensate for the increased boost. At levels above 22.5psi you are off the fuel table. your car can be set up to make runs at WOT with 27psi by increasing the fuel pressure. the down side to this is the ECU will start to remove the fuel after awhile (Fuel trims) so the WOT will be lean again until you reset the ECU. (clear DTC)

IMO..if you are running over 22.5 psi daily, you need to upgrade to a higher flowing turbo.

Droors43
01-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Sean@unitronic
The ECUs have a BARO sensor that compensates for elevation. The max the sensor can read is 2550Mbar. this is the max requested. You can run more boost than 22.5psi, but you will need to increase the fuel pressure to compensate for the increased boost. At levels above 22.5psi you are off the fuel table. your car can be set up to make runs at WOT with 27psi by increasing the fuel pressure. the down side to this is the ECU will start to remove the fuel after awhile (Fuel trims) so the WOT will be lean again until you reset the ECU. (clear DTC)

IMO..if you are running over 22.5 psi daily, you need to upgrade to a higher flowing turbo.

Ok, now that you mentioned all this...

...do you suggest me taking the MBC out of the loop and just using the N75 for my data logs?

Also, will the next revision call for more boost (or can you not or do suggest this) even if I have an adjustable FPR?

Or, like you said, a larger turbo should be used for boost levels higher than 22.5?

Basically, Sean, should I just keep it at 22-23psi or is it even worthwhile or safe to turn it up to 24-24.5...based on your knowledge of this particular software.

Thanks.

illbill
01-20-2006, 09:37 AM
I would run the mbc in parallel with the n75 to keep your peak boost in check. I wouldn't trust the n75 on its own with an atp wastegate.

Ok, now that you mentioned all this...

...do you suggest me taking the MBC out of the loop and just using the N75 for my data logs?

Also, will the next revision call for more boost (or can you not or do suggest this) even if I have an adjustable FPR?

Or, like you said, a larger turbo should be used for boost levels higher than 22.5?

Basically, Sean, should I just keep it at 22-23psi or is it even worthwhile or safe to turn it up to 24-24.5...based on your knowledge of this particular software.

Thanks.

b00st
01-20-2006, 12:40 PM
glad to see you got your revision and liking it...the UNI revision sounds strong....now go find that stage 3 jetta and beat that ass![:D]

94jedi
01-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by 94jedi
Sean I pm'd you. Just had a quick question.

Sean did you get my email and pm?

Sean@unitronic
01-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by illbill
I would run the mbc in parallel with the n75 to keep your peak boost in check. I wouldn't trust the n75 on its own with an atp wastegate.

Agree 100%!!

There is no need to run 25psi daliy. you are running outside the fuel table and really stressing the turbo. it can be tuned for track days like that but the ECU will adapt out the extra fuel over time. then the WOT will be lean again. If you want the power that 25 psi gives you, swap the turbo for a GT3071R and run 18psi. 22psi will make you dirty your shorts and is still on the fuel table, so no adjusting is needed other than boost.

mike-2ptzero
01-20-2006, 02:37 PM
Most have said that they didn't like the GT30 at all. But if you think that makes some power then you should ride in my A4 with the 2 liter/GT35R setup. Even on pump gas and 16psi it makes 330-350whp.

bitterchild
01-20-2006, 02:59 PM
There are a few turbo's between the "gtrs" and a 3071.

mike-2ptzero
01-20-2006, 06:22 PM
GT2871R
GT2876R
GT3037

There is also a GT3076R which is just a step up from the 3071.

Sean@unitronic
01-20-2006, 11:30 PM
My point: don't run your turbo at 110% all day everyday. you want 350whp for a dayily driver? choose a turbo that makes that power at modest boost levels.

GT2871R
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/images/catalog/Turbochargers/gt28_images/GT2871R_743347_1_comp.gif

GT3071R
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/images/catalog/Turbochargers/gt30_images/GT3071R_700382_3_comp.gif

I run the GT2871R .86 at 18psi daily. it makes 275whp at 18psi. at 23psi ist makes 325whp all on pumpgas (FWD Transverse)

mike-2ptzero
01-21-2006, 06:55 AM
Well remember there is a huge difference between your "pump" and my craptane 91 octane, well unless you run that on 87 octane out there. Even on 96 octane here I put down 434 whp at 24psi.

BarryT82
01-21-2006, 09:16 AM
Most places here offer 87 89 and 93. Sunoco quit selling 94 I believe. Just remember that those numbers are minimum not the exact number.

onemoremile
01-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by mike-2ptzero
Well remember there is a huge difference between your "pump" and my craptane 91 octane, well unless you run that on 87 octane out there. Even on 96 octane here I put down 434 whp at 24psi.

you did that with a bolt on turbo and software on a 1.8???

apples and oranges couldn't be farther apart. i could pick up a used z06 vette for what it would take to duplicate your setup. sean's turbo kit with software would cost less than just your block buildup.

trailboss
01-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by onemoremile

apples and oranges couldn't be farther apart. i could pick up a used z06 vette for what it would take to duplicate your setup. sean's turbo kit with software would cost less than just your block buildup.
LOL.

Seems like when someone with knowledge comes on the forums they "test" his knowledge.

bitterchild
01-21-2006, 02:04 PM
huh? everyone here has been around for awhile. maybe not on az but az is only a drop in a bucket

AudiA4_mation
01-21-2006, 03:19 PM
glad you are finally running right Droors, i have a unitronics file i put on the dyno today and did 265whp/281ft/lbs to the wheels with a GT28RS .64A/R, 1st revision. I am going to change out the manifold and get another revision hopefully i will at around 280whp/300ft/lbs or better. I will post up the A/F and power plots soon.

Droors43
01-21-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by AudiA4_mation
glad you are finally running right Droors, i have a unitronics file i put on the dyno today and did 265whp/281ft/lbs to the wheels with a GT28RS .64A/R, 1st revision. I am going to change out the manifold and get another revision hopefully i will at around 280whp/300ft/lbs or better. I will post up the A/F and power plots soon.

What kind of boost were you running when you dynoed it and what MY is your A4?

I spoke with Mike Z @ Uni last night after I was fooling with my MBC and N75. No matter how I hooked them up together, it wanted to boost 28psi!!!! I was like wtf b/c I did everything to get it to work right. Nothing worked. Mike said that his revision didn't take into account the N75 and to just use my MBC at 23psi. I have it set there for now. He said I could run 24-25 psi if I wanted and would gain about 15whp but he said make sure to check out the A/F. I think I'll keep it at 23psi b/c that's just about right. Also, the CEL came back on for my test pipe (P0420) and I thought that was being taken care of? Oh well. But, it pulls fkkkkng great and does so quite smoothly.

Sean, I'll get some logs shortly for ya.

TwentyValveB5
01-21-2006, 07:08 PM

I'm a big vette fan too, but even a used Z06 doesn't make 424whp. hell, it doesn't even make 424bhp.

i do, however, agree it's a little difficult to compare a built 2.0L versus a stock-internals 1.8, but Mike's been around the 1.8t long enough that he should get the credibility he deserves

mike-2ptzero
01-21-2006, 07:31 PM

Damn, I didn't know my setup cost that much or a used Z06 was so cheap. Why are you even trying to compare his kit to my car? Of course it cost less, you get LESS power.

I am not a tuner either but yet I have been pushing the limits of the A4 longer then most of the tuners out there and I am not lining my pockets while doing it. But yet I made a few tuners look slow at the 1.8t challenge without paying the $5k it cost them to get in.

My setup is
BOLT on manifold that is sold by a shop that anyone can buy
BOLT on turbo to that manifold
GIAC chip software to make 434 whp

I built a 2.0 to reach a hp goal, I didn't know I had to stay with a 1.8 to prove something.

BTW a Z06 is slow so what was the point of bringing it up?

a4rings
01-21-2006, 07:50 PM
OT: what kind of traps do you think you will be seeing when you get your car back?

mike-2ptzero
01-21-2006, 10:54 PM
Hard to say, but should be in the 120's. I was able to hit 116's with the throttle closing issue.