PDA

View Full Version : which turbo is right for me

LaTenTConcepT
01-19-2006, 08:05 PM
I think in the near future I will be trading in my 1997 a4 2.8qm and getting a 1.8tqm b5.. the fact is I love audi and the b5.. but I just wanted to get some numbers...... I would probaly join a autocross club and fool around with my friends every once and a while becuse ill admit Im a kid.... how ever being a kid I was wonering what turbo will give me the best power with out sacrficing the life of the engine.......... ko4's seem to small and not offer the power i want.... the t28 seems to lag to much because they are not a dual ball berring turbo.... aprs stage 3+ is way to much money so that leaves me with atp gt28rs.... or the GT2871R (but i think that would be to big) I would probaly buy the a4 with about 100,000 miles all ready on it..... i wouldent mind getting my hands drty i have done engough jobs on the 2.8 but any major problems like intrenals or transmission problems (other than the clutch) would be somthing out of my reach...

A4ringedONE8T
01-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Make sure you go through all the vacumm lines and everything in the engine bay. Friend of mine has a B5 with about 100k miles still stock. I looked at it the other day and about half of her vacumm lines were pretty much done. Get everything in tip top shape and go from there. Get the car and the basics before you start worrying about a BT setup. Start saving you will have 4 or 5 grand in mods just to be ready for the turbo. Thats assuming you dont run into any issues you have to repair along the way.

Shawn

diegomatrix
01-19-2006, 08:16 PM
i think someone is getting ahead of themselves....

get the car first, work on it a few times, and then look at upgrades..

bitterchild
01-19-2006, 08:20 PM
your preconceptions in regards to certain turbo kits is misinformed. Don't make assumptions based on internet postings.

LaTenTConcepT
01-19-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by A4ringedONE8T
Make sure you go through all the vacumm lines and everything in the engine bay. Friend of mine has a B5 with about 100k miles still stock. I looked at it the other day and about half of her vacumm lines were pretty much done. Get everything in tip top shape and go from there. Get the car and the basics before you start worrying about a BT setup. Start saving you will have 4 or 5 grand in mods just to be ready for the turbo. Thats assuming you dont run into any issues you have to repair along the way.

Shawn

i am familar with the 1.8t helped install a fmic and underdrive pullys on a 225 tt just was transversal..... and i know i should get the car first but i just wanted to see if the gtrs would require somthing like forged rods and pistions and if i did put this bt on (stock internals) if it would kill my high milege engine imediatly

A4ringedONE8T
01-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by LaTenTConcepT
i am familar with the 1.8t helped install a fmic and underdrive pullys on a 225 tt just was transversal..... and i know i should get the car first but i just wanted to see if the gtrs would require somthing like forged rods and pistions and if i did put this bt on (stock internals) if it would kill my high milege engine imediatly

Factory internals are sufficient for the GTRS elim

mike-2ptzero
01-19-2006, 08:50 PM
If you plan on doing some Autox, then stick with a K04. There are plenty of setups for both the ndbw and dbw that make plenty of power and tons of tq with that turbo. Now if you plan on drag racing or running the car on a road course, then buy a larger turbo setup.