PDA

View Full Version : RS5 carbon clean covered under warranty?

Transfer
03-01-2018, 10:47 AM
Hi all! Didn't get any traction on this topic on Audiworld so let's see what you got Audizine!

I test drove an RS5 earlier this week and LOVED it. I had an E90 M3 in the past and the RS5 is more in line with my environment (always wet Seattle) and driving preferences so I'm leaning towards getting one in a few months when my current DD lease is up. I'm fully up to speed on maintenance and reliability issues but was a little surprised to find out a carbon clean cost is about $1800 here (Achtuning). That's a big pill to swallow every 30-50k. Not impossible but still a horsepill. So if the car is still under original factory warranty or on an extended warranty (such as USAA), what are the odds that this cost would be covered if there are symptoms of the problem?

new2s5
03-01-2018, 11:34 AM
I have an 09 S5 that was CPOed when I bought it. Shortly after ownership I had issues with carbon buildup. All repairs for that condition were covered under the CPO warranty. You shoulden't have to carbon clean more than once as long as you keep your foot in it!

spa
03-01-2018, 12:38 PM
If the dealer finds the cause of driving issues or cel are carbon build up they will cover it. Fwiw there are many higher mile RS5s that have yet to be carbon cleaned and keeping your foot in it doesn't prevent carbon build up

Transfer
03-01-2018, 01:27 PM
Cool, thanks. I assume if I feel it needs a clean based on subjective performance losses, that's on me. Achtuning was saying every 30-35k is about right but that seems too often to me. I guess it depends on driving habits.

Now to decide RS5 stable confidence inspiring speed vs E92 M3 edgy track day on the street.

ICU2
03-01-2018, 06:33 PM
+1 to spaís comments but (IIRC), it would be covered if it was a CPO or a 2014/2015 w/less than 50,000 miles. What was the year/mileage of the 1 U R looking @? I understand the dilemma b/w the RS5 & the M3, but for a DD, the RS5 is hard to beat. Add to that the Quattro factor (given your geographic location, wet roads, rain & or snow) & I donít think it can be much of a question.
If engine mods R of great interest, VERY limited options for the RS5. JHM (a site sponsor on AZ) is/R currently working on a Super Charger & they have already developed an exhaust. Just an FYI.

Ape Factory
03-01-2018, 07:19 PM
How mechanically inclined are you? There's always the option to do it yourself. It'll cost you about $250 if you don't have any of the necessary tools (not including the basic stuff, wrenches, sockets, bits, etc.). $1800 is a pretty big bill. Must be the West coast tax. It's about $800 here. JHM's test RS5 has over 60K on it and it's not been cleaned yet. I just crossed 40K and was planning on taking a peek and cleaning everything this spring after my 45K service. I've already done plugs and air filters.

And definitely the right car for your neck of the woods! JHM is also working on a tune. They said we'd be quite happy with the results. I want it yesterday.

SeattleiteA6
03-01-2018, 08:32 PM
Had a carbon cleaning done on my RS5 a couple months ago @48k miles and it was covered under my CPO warranty - if it's an extended warranty just call the company whose policy it is and check if it's covered. Definitely would get it done tho, as others have said.

I had a couple random misfires on cold start (read and printed the codes myself before bringing it in) and had a CEL that lasted a day and cycled off. Although Audi Lynnwood said it was ~$900 if I had to pay for it, so maybe call there if you have to pay out of pocket. Achtuning is great though, they've done a few things for my car - really nice guys. Whereabouts in the area are you?

Oh and I'd 100% get the RS - there are so many M3's/M4's in our area, but I've seen very few RS5's. It's cool to have something you don't see everyday in an area full of chocked full of luxury sports cars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Transfer
03-01-2018, 09:00 PM
Good input from everyone. Yeah I'm highly leaning RS5 although the M3 just always pulls at my heart. I enjoyed my M3 and it was comp pack E90 but I always felt it was a hand full to not put it sideways 6 months out of the year. In dry though, woof! The RS5 has all the engine and transmission goodness but is so easy to drive fast, especially in inclement weather. The exclusivity and looks are nice too. I drove the 2014 at Landmark Motors with 39k miles and it was super clean and ran great. I don't think I want black though and it has extra dark tint which is a negative to me. Plus I'm more in the market in a few months due to lease end. Props to Landmark Motors though they seem like a great indy dealership.

Regarding carbon clean cost, $900 was more in line with my expectations so maybe Achtuning is doing something extra special? They said they "scrape, vacuum, and then walnut blast" repeating until clean which is probably more of a service than the dealership. I would expect to do first clean at 50-60k miles assuming no obvious adverse problems before then. But if it's running strong maybe go to 70k. I am not someone who would do this myself.

mcbuck
03-07-2018, 04:38 AM
YMMV, but I'm at 106k plus and never cabon cleaned. No misfires, no CELs, still pulls hard. BUT gradual performance loss would be hard to really quantify.
Have not seen much of any documentation of what is found once one is opened up for cleaning. Would be very interested in any pics that SeattleiteA6 has of "before".
I know there were some features that Audi incorporated into this motor to combat carbon, but don't remember the specifics at the moment. Couple of threads out there that discuss.
FWIW, my mantra is "a redline a day keeps the carbon away". Spa says that doesn't matter, so maybe I'm just lucky.

Hypnoguy
03-07-2018, 05:14 AM
YMMV, but I'm at 106k plus and never cabon cleaned. No misfires, no CELs, still pulls hard. BUT gradual performance loss would be hard to really quantify.
Have not seen much of any documentation of what is found once one is opened up for cleaning. Would be very interested in any pics that SeattleiteA6 has of "before".
I know there were some features that Audi incorporated into this motor to combat carbon, but don't remember the specifics at the moment. Couple of threads out there that discuss.
FWIW, my mantra is "a redline a day keeps the carbon away". Spa says that doesn't matter, so maybe I'm just lucky.

Love that Mantra...words to live by!

Transfer
03-07-2018, 09:20 AM
I think there is certainly something to be said for redlining on a regular basis, at least to keep the injectors clean. A can of BG44K into the gas tank now and then would help injector health as well but nothing can stop the valve carbon deposits other than meth system (theoretical) or going back to port injection.

Ape Factory
03-07-2018, 09:42 AM
I looked into meth/water injection and JHM said it doesnít help. I think the valves need a constant spray of fuel to stay clean. And think about port-injected engines...if you donít use top tier detergent gas, they can get buildup too. Just not to the same extent as FSI engines.

Beast
03-07-2018, 10:06 AM
I looked into meth/water injection and JHM said it doesnít help. I think the valves need a constant spray of fuel to stay clean. And think about port-injected engines...if you donít use top tier detergent gas, they can get buildup too. Just not to the same extent as FSI engines.

the tune that I have is actually doing this to create the burbles, I wonder if this will mean less carbon buildup? :D

spa
03-07-2018, 10:56 AM
the tune that I have is actually doing this to create the burbles, I wonder if this will mean less carbon buildup? :D

No.. as it is still no fuel spray over valve action happening.

Ape Factory
03-07-2018, 01:20 PM
XIm guessing Beast was being sarcastic :)

Beast
03-08-2018, 08:08 PM
XIm guessing Beast was being sarcastic :)

[;)].

GotRS?
03-13-2018, 10:05 PM
Been away for a while, but has the RS5 suddenly developed the carbon issue of older engines? I had an RS4 with it but completely different engine.

Ape Factory
03-14-2018, 05:12 AM
All the Audi FSI engines have the issue. All direct injection engines have it actually, regardless if they're Ford, Toyota, BMW, etc...Now Audi has learned a few things and it's certainly better than the RS4 but it's not gone entirely. They run the engine hotter, have a better vapor separator and have specified oil with a different formula and additive package.

I think McBuck posted a few up that he's never carbon cleaned in over 100K miles. I know others have had it done at 40K miles and greater. I'm currently preparing to do mine some time in April with 40K on the odometer, mostly out of curiosity, not because of any issues.

midam96
04-10-2018, 06:53 PM
All the Audi FSI engines have the issue. All direct injection engines have it actually, regardless if they're Ford, Toyota, BMW, etc...Now Audi has learned a few things and it's certainly better than the RS4 but it's not gone entirely. They run the engine hotter, have a better vapor separator and have specified oil with a different formula and additive package.

I think McBuck posted a few up that he's never carbon cleaned in over 100K miles. I know others have had it done at 40K miles and greater. I'm currently preparing to do mine some time in April with 40K on the odometer, mostly out of curiosity, not because of any issues.

ymmv+1 mine is being carbon cleaned as I type this for no obvious reason other than I'm at 50,000. Engine seems fine but needed front brakes (first time) brake light came on about a block from the shop so while it's there. I'm asking the to look at the radiator coolant tank and lines. I'll report back what the shop tells me concerning the carbon cleaning and coolant tank inspections respectively.

Ape Factory
04-10-2018, 07:28 PM
Did you ask them to take photos by any chance? Would be good for the "database".

I've actually decided to hold off on mine. I have an opportunity to do it starting Thursday with the wife out of town for four days. Gives me plenty of time to work on stuff with no distractions but I have a side project that needs attention. Plus my idle is silky smooth.

midam96
04-10-2018, 09:22 PM
Iíll ask on the photos, youíd ( wishful perhaps) think the shop would want before and after pics for reference. They should be in the cleaning mode today and tomorrow the procedure described was a lengthy process over 2 day period. I think pictures and streaming are becoming common in repair. AudiPlano sent a streaming video of Tech showing the area needing repair. The video is part of the common service procedure apparently.

Ape Factory
04-11-2018, 07:29 AM
Huh interesting! Nice when technology actually improves the customer experience. Can't remember off the top of my head but pretty sure that's where my car received it's 35K service.

midam96
04-13-2018, 06:36 PM
How do u post photos on here? Iíve got a before/after

midam96
04-13-2018, 06:46 PM
I did upload photos to if Iím correct my gallery.
50,150 miles, 99% Exxon 93 oct.

Ape Factory
04-13-2018, 09:17 PM
Easiest way is to upload photos to an image hosting site and copy the forum link. I use https://postimages.org which is free. Once you've created an account and uploaded your images, each one will have links. Choose "hotlink for forums" and copy that link. Paste in the body of your forum reply and viola, photos!

Ape Factory
04-13-2018, 09:22 PM
Found your images, going to post them here if that's ok with you.

Pre-cleaning (guessing). Have to say, that's actually pretty damn good for 50K miles.
https://s20.postimg.cc/x9fxrsp19/carbon_2.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/f6mv0kt6h/)

Post cleaning
https://s20.postimg.cc/wwojlmeh9/carbon_1.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/714t2fcnd/)

If I have time, I may run by the Audi dealership and pick up some lower intake manifold gaskets and pull my intake manifold on Sunday, just out of curiosity.

midam96
04-14-2018, 06:52 AM
Found your images, going to post them here if that's ok with you.

Pre-cleaning (guessing). Have to say, that's actually pretty damn good for 50K miles.
https://s20.postimg.cc/x9fxrsp19/carbon_2.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/f6mv0kt6h/)

Post cleaning
https://s20.postimg.cc/wwojlmeh9/carbon_1.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/714t2fcnd/)

If I have time, I may run by the Audi dealership and pick up some lower intake manifold gaskets and pull my intake manifold on Sunday, just out of curiosity.

Good luck with your inspection.

superswiss
04-17-2018, 07:37 PM
Just saw this thread. I think some of you have seen my carbon clean thread, but posting the link for reference.

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/806461-RS5-carbon-deposits

Now that some time has passed since the carbon clean and I've driven the car I can say the carbon clean has done wonders. Besides the engine running a lot smoother, the cold start feeling much better, it also pulls better. In particular low to mid range is noticeably stronger. I think the thing with carbon build up is that it happens gradually, so any effect is hard to notice unless you start having some clear issues like cold start misfires and the CEL coming on. I did mine at about 60k miles, but I probably should have done it earlier. Next one I guess should be at about 90k miles, but most likely I won't own the car anymore by then.

miltondent76
04-19-2018, 07:20 AM
FWIW, my mantra is "a redline a day keeps the carbon away". Spa says that doesn't matter, so maybe I'm just lucky.I Concur, No Carbon Clean here yet..... D.D. is a '10 S5 w/97k with no CEL's, No Leaks and Pulls Like a Freight Train. A few Redlines per tank and about 3 hours, twice per year of Back Country Road Blast and the '5 runs fine. I think it does some good, but hey, I'm no Audi Master Mechanic.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk