PDA

View Full Version : PureBS strut bar

nizmosx
01-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Hey i got the puremotorsport strut bar yesterday and i couldnt install it for the life of me. This was suposed to be a simple ten minute install but for some reason the bracket mount on the passenger side does not fit that great. With that being said all of the air conditioning aluminum piping is in the way where your suposed to tighten down the bracket. After about 30 mins of pivoting the bracket i finally got it to bolt down. Then i realized there is no way the bar is going to be able to line up to the bolts on the brackets. Anyone know what i am talking about. Is there any tricks to it. Any one have any pictures of the final product installed on the passenger side. I really want to see what it looks like. Because i was thinking that even if i have it installed, it looks like there is too much pressure on the piping and if i take a turn hard it might burst one of the pipes.

Thoughts/feedback

peja
01-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Hey nizmosx, check out this thread. Zodiak posted a solution to the ac lines/stut bar problem near the bottom!

Audizine Forums - Strut tower bar (http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39132&highlight=purems+strut+bar)

tkarwin
01-18-2006, 10:47 AM
I had no problems installing mine. It fits great and works really well. Great product and easy install. If I can install it, anyone can! In the instructions it said to call purems if you had any interference with the ac lines. Sorry I couldn't help.

nizmosx
01-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Thanks, in the pictures it looks like those fit super easy. Mine is not so much like that. i am having to tug really hard on the ac lines just to fit the bracket underneath. Im afraid that under heavy turn ins, the stress on the ac lines will be too massssssss. I dont know what to do. Maybe ill try it again today, well see

goldenchild
01-18-2006, 11:33 AM
try to jack the front 2 tires off the ground and install it alot of stb i have ever delt with dont exactly fit prefect they r ment to be a snug fit

Devious27t
01-18-2006, 12:07 PM
uh oh its time to call:

http://img79.exs.cx/img79/4352/a7-whaaaambulance.gif

nizmosx
01-18-2006, 12:38 PM
EFFF you austin. hahahaha Come install it for me and clear my codes slut.

Devious27t
01-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by nizmosx
EFFF you austin. hahahaha Come install it for me and clear my codes slut.

I will put your new exhaust on too and you can give me my ecodes [;)]

onemoremile
01-18-2006, 01:08 PM
mine bolted up easy on the driver's side but the passenger side required a bit of work. if you are careful you shouldn't have any problems. getting it to fit in front of an A8 battery was the hardest part of my install.

juju4uofa
01-18-2006, 01:33 PM
For those of you who have one. Is the $150 justifiable?

onemoremile
01-18-2006, 01:39 PM
i thought not but then a saw a few pictures of cars who's front firewalls had seperated from the strut towers.

AsianA408
01-18-2006, 01:49 PM
did he give you the 96-99 strut? or the 00-01 brace? cuz i remember i sold my strut tower brace to someone with an 01 and they didnt line up correctly. they gave it back. check wat year it belongs on.

Devious27t
01-18-2006, 02:20 PM
TO THE RESCUE! [:D]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/stevewhitmore/misc%20pics/100_1271.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/stevewhitmore/misc%20pics/100_1270.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/stevewhitmore/misc%20pics/100_1269.jpg

diegomatrix
01-18-2006, 02:22 PM
dayum.... tat looks like a real tight fit...

Devious27t
01-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by diegomatrix
dayum.... tat looks like a real tight fit...

thats what she said [:p] [:D] [;)] [drive]

nizmosx
01-18-2006, 03:05 PM
Hhahaa you know she didnt say that. She said you lack in diameter. Anyway it looks like yours has way more clearance than mine does austin. Im gona try again tonight
ill see what happens.

Devious27t
01-18-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by nizmosx
Hhahaa you know she didnt say that. She said you lack in diameter. Anyway it looks like yours has way more clearance than mine does austin. Im gona try again tonight
ill see what happens.

i didnt think that mine would clear either but that was the outcome. once you get everything bolted down it all fits into place. believe me it was a fucking PITA to get it like that.

tkarwin
01-18-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by juju4uofa
For those of you who have one. Is the $150 justifiable?

I think it was worth the money. It got rid of a lot of creaking that came from the front of the car. I like it so much I want to have one fabbed for the rear. The car feels more solid now. It is a very good feeling. I have my winter setup on right now, but I expect that steering response would also be better. I try to mod my car in a style that I think is how it should ahve come from the factory and this mod definitely fits that criteria! Buy it!.

goldenchild
01-18-2006, 04:22 PM
damn no offense but that bar looks like crap. y didnt u opt for the lltek or the one sold on ebay that uses a stiff bar with more points in it

Devious27t
01-18-2006, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by goldenchild
damn no offense but that bar looks like crap. y didnt u opt for the lltek or the one sold on ebay that uses a stiff bar with more points in it

i see alot of heresay but no factual evidence. you think the lltek looks better is what you are saying. more points. yet you have no idea if it IS actually better, no idea if the extra points have a real affect. FWIW i was OVER running the racetec/lltek whatever bar because i didnt want to have a big protruding bar and no battery cover. not to mention this is a near identical replication of the strut tower bar i have on my S4 that came with the car. AUDI seems to think it works.

EDIT* you could be right, the racetec might be better, but this setup is more oem and that is what i wanted and i think paul wanted also.

goldenchild
01-18-2006, 04:58 PM
i c then

nizmosx
01-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Golden your also forgetting one thing. If you look at the lltek, Its kinda a poor design. Its a huge bar and like austin said you can not use the battery cover and if you ever need to replace the battery the bar needs to come off. Also the lltek has only one mounting point where as this one and the s4 ones have 2. They mount using both bolts. In conclusion without any real factual evidence, this bar should be more benificial than the lltek.

diegomatrix
01-18-2006, 06:14 PM
i hate most lltek stuff.... sorry...
that's a rice company w/ really bad service..and if you mention their name on aw, you'll prolly get flamed too... hahahha.....

nizmosx
01-18-2006, 06:22 PM
i agree. ^^^^ the only other strut bar i would want is the wiechers or the racetech four point...

that is all

4ingDrive
01-18-2006, 07:56 PM
I had the same issues installing mine. It took some time and a lot of swearing.

tkarwin
01-18-2006, 08:54 PM
All I know is that I am very happy with the PureMS strut tower brace. It made a great improvement and it looks like it came from the factory. the other 4 point, tubular ones require not using the battery cover as already mentioned and you also have to buy a smaller battery. <-Not cool.

ModifiedA4
01-19-2006, 06:47 AM
here are my instructions on how to install the pure-ms type bar:
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel32.shtml

also, ive done the calculations and the bar is as stiff or stiffer than the lltek two transverse tube designs.

if you use the OEM bar rather than the pure-ms bar, then you also get a 5th mounting point to the firewall, which easily makes the bar style stiffer.

which ever style you use, i'd recommend putting some rubber coolant hose in between the strut tower bar pass. side bracket and the A/C hardlines. engine movement/chassis flexing could cause the A/C line to be damaged over time.

goody6691
01-19-2006, 08:05 AM
i had a problem installing mine also. i sent it back, i will buy one whaen i find one that works,fits ,and looks nice

ModifiedA4
01-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by goody6691
i had a problem installing mine also. i sent it back, i will buy one whaen i find one that works,fits ,and looks nice

its only for 99+, maybe thats why you had an issue.

goody6691
01-19-2006, 11:50 AM
wow, when i ordered it they told me it would fit. my car is a late vin 98.5 so they thought it would fit.......whoops

bitterchild
01-19-2006, 06:18 PM
I couldn't get mine in either. I'm a 99.0. I guess I just don't know how to work on cars. I owned the thing for about 2 days. What a pos. After talking w/ purems they told me to hack up the bracket. I've never had a problem with their customer service but this product fitment sucks and they know it.