PDA

View Full Version : AMD is planning for an RS5 supercharger kit.

Ape Factory
02-10-2018, 01:40 PM
I just received confirmation from AMD that they plan on taking their current RS4/S5 kit and increasing the blower size and adapting everything to the RS5 in the future. I don' know what sort of time frame they're looking at but I've asked and we'll see what they say. It's a good deal more expensive than the JHM centrifugal S5 kit.

The RS4 kit looks to make about 475 wheel hp. Not too shabby and there's a good deal of torque down low.
https://www.fastaudi.com/store/AMD-RS4-Supercharger-Kit-p51069756

The S5 kit, a bit over 450 wheel hp. Pretty sure with a larger blower, good intercooling and a proper tune, the RS5 would come in at over 500 wheel. Even more on E85 if that'd be an option.
https://www.fastaudi.com/store/AMD-S5-Supercharger-Kit-p56360214

Sazexa
02-10-2018, 02:07 PM
Pretty neat figures.

Wonder the cost. JHM with stage 1 and 2 still gets you to 500+ crank horsepower on the S5 4.2L V8. I wish I heard from people who have actually bought AMD kits.

Ape Factory
02-10-2018, 02:22 PM
I think it'll depend on a number of things...if the RS5 fuel pumps can either be modified or flow enough for a stage 1 kit, it'll probably come in at S5 pricing. On their blog, the RS4 stage 2 is 595 crank hp but the kit utilizes S5 fuel rails/injectors. The stage 1 kit has a lower boost level as the fuel system is the limiting factor.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the AMD packaging better than the JHM layout and from what I've heard so far, they haven't even started on the RS5 kit yet. But yes, a centrifugal will produce more peak hp (generally speaking) and is probably more efficient at higher boost levels. Carbon cleaning would be more of an issue with the AMD kit.

I'd take a measly extra 100 hp and the extra torque at the bottom of the curve. Hell, who wouldn't! With a relatively quiet exhaust, it'd be pretty stealthy and on the street, would probably take 95% of the stock cars out there. No one would be the wiser unless you popped the hood.

Competition and options is a good thing though. It's not something the RS5 has had in the power generation department.

chrissurfr
02-10-2018, 02:56 PM
Damn....that kit is pricey. I was hoping for JHM to come in around 7k...not 12k.

Ape Factory
02-10-2018, 03:05 PM
It is pricey. A similar kit being made for Nissan's VQ 3.7L (370Z, G37) is supposedly coming in around $10K and it has a similar level of engineering so $12K is not too far out of the ballpark. But yes, I wish it were a bit less expensive. I think if it came in under $10K they'd have a winner.

Edit; If you look at the total cost for JHM's kit with the stage 2 addition, they're within spitting distance of one and other in terms of cost.

hanif87
02-10-2018, 03:13 PM
Their S5 kit does 475whp on the manual and 465whp with the tiptronic on a mustang dyno. That's some really good numbers considering how low the mustang dyno reads. I am planning on getting a kit for my S5 and did some research on them.

hanif87
02-10-2018, 03:17 PM
Also, if you had to factor in the cost of the upgraded fuel pumps included it's actually a pretty good selling price.

JamesRS5
02-10-2018, 09:49 PM
I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the AMD packaging better than the JHM layout

Likewise, I was hoping JHM would do a similar configuration using the centrifugal charger.

jkownz
02-11-2018, 08:05 AM
Im still on the fence with any type of SC in the RS5. Dropping nearly 14k+ between installs and extras and losing any type of warranty if your in one seems almost not worth it. The gains are not out of this world. Could just sell all mods, sell and drop 20k more on a quicker car. Love the look and exhaust note on the RS. If i was looking for more speed i would just get a used S5 modded to hell or RS7 and push the pedal to the floor. Not saying i wouldn't purchase one in the future when my warranty expires but i guess at that point i would look into long term reliability and cost per hp/torque.

Ape Factory
02-11-2018, 08:53 AM
I agree, I'd have a hard time having a supercharger installed on an RS5 with a warranty unless I had really deep pockets. Especially if I'd bought it new. I think it makes more sense on a second owner used RS5 as the prices have come down to the cost of a new Camaro or Mustang (loaded V8 of course). Especially if said owner is coming from a modaholic background. Cough. Personally I'd be doing the install myself but I know not everyone has the time/skills/tools to pull it off.

It'll also depend on how much you really love the RS5. As much as I complain about the little things on mine, I absolutely love the car and I can see keeping it for quite some time. If it's a three year car or less, probably doesn't make as much sense unless, again, you have lots and lots of disposable income and enjoy this sort of thing.

The one thing I always look at is are you throwing money at a turd? Can the OEM chassis take the extra power and will it be drivable? In that regard, the RS5 does make a lot of sense as it could easily handle extra hp. The S-tronic is an unknown but I think it'll be fine with the line pressure upped and other software tweaks.

I do want to see what JHM comes up with in terms of a tune and some sort of header/high flow cat/test pipe setup. I think high flow cats, placed further down the exhaust path, will be crucial to any long-term reliability with forced induction. As the OEM ones sit now, they're probably too close and will get blown out sooner than later due to the increased EGT's and exhaust pressure. I haven't really read up on what the S5 V8 guys do, assuming test pipes.

Ape Factory
08-09-2018, 06:30 PM
Received an update from Addict today regarding their SC kit for the RS5. They're targeting having everything wrapped up by the end of the year.

With that said, there's a guy over on the A5oc forum who has the PES roots type kit and has apparently had to pull his transmission (or replace it) twice. I'm having a hard time getting specifics but there were problems with the dual mass flywheel once. I pointed him towards the disc upgrade sets that are available but he seemed to think it wasn't the clutch disks. I think it's a mechatronic/tuning issue and the transmission needs a tune. I don't think PES has a legitimate TCU tune (shocker, I know).

I looked around at what the really high hp R8 guys are having done and there's not much info. But it looks like they use a billet clutch basket and upgraded clutch pack. This is a twin turbo setup. Not sure how many plates the R8 V10 clutch uses vs. the RS5 which is what, 13? Anyway, maybe the dual mass flywheel thing was an anomaly. But it does give me pause. I've tried to direct the owner here but I think there's a language barrier.

A centrifugal Vortech is probably going to be much easier on the transmission than a roots type. Let's hope all the TCU needs is a tune.

JamesRS5
08-09-2018, 08:11 PM
There has to be a good reason Audi didnít use this gearbox in any of their new turbo engines, I have my doubts on its ability to handle the sudden increase of torque that comes with turbo.
APR had a superb looking supercharger installed and running in an RS5, then they just dropped the whole project blaming it on too many different engine configuration types on the market to make one kit to fit all and called it a ďresource hogĒ. I wonder if they too ran into gearbox issues?

Ape Factory
08-09-2018, 08:39 PM
Could be. But it might be a fixable solution. Everything is with the right amount of money I guess. I'm reaching out to various sources to see what it might take. Also, I know it's not the same gearbox, but the R8's S-tronic seems pretty stout. It seems to handle a supercharger with just a tune (VF Engineering).

chrissurfr
08-09-2018, 08:45 PM
seems like a supercharger for the car just isn't happening at this point and we should all just give up lol

JamesRS5
08-10-2018, 12:58 AM
Iím sure someone will make it happen Chris, it just needs the time and resources investing in a kit that will work, and last.
Letís not rush into this, weíve only been waiting 3 years.

audirs5guy
08-11-2018, 04:32 AM
There has to be a good reason Audi didnít use this gearbox in any of their new turbo engines, I have my doubts on its ability to handle the sudden increase of torque that comes with turbo.
APR had a superb looking supercharger installed and running in an RS5, then they just dropped the whole project blaming it on too many different engine configuration types on the market to make one kit to fit all and called it a ďresource hogĒ. I wonder if they too ran into gearbox issues?

I mentioned this in another PES thread a couple years ago when somebody said look no PESs are going bad, no problem with the additional HP/torque...

Listen to Jonny at 10:40 say the DSG canít handle the torque, so the RS7 has a ZF-8.

https://youtu.be/O3ZgPaJWw-U

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ape Factory
08-11-2018, 05:39 AM
Except that guy isn't an Audi engineer, he's just a talking head on YouTube. The new dual clutch gearboxes can handle the power just fine but they have to be designed to handle a certain power level. All gearboxes have built-in torque limits whether they're DSG or traditional torque converter autos. There's nothing inherently weak about a DSG gearbox. It's designing it to handle more torque and meet customer's expectations on the smoothness of engagement. Might be ok in an R8 but not in an A8.

The main reason they went with auto was due to the smoothness (or lack thereof) of the dual clutch systems as I mentioned above. Too many customer complaints. The S-Tronic in the R8/Hurican is dealing with massive power from owners who are slapping superchargers and twin turbo systems on them.

JamesRS5
08-11-2018, 06:10 AM
Iím already having second thoughts when I see the price tag for the supercharger, to spend the same again to rebuild the gearbox, no thanks, Iíll just buy a car thatís designed and capable of achieving what weíre trying to ask of the B8 RS5. It would make no sense at all to plough so much cash into one of these cars, keep it standard (ish) and wait for it to become a classic.

Ape Factory
08-11-2018, 08:54 AM
The sensible side of me agrees with you. The modaholic in me? Not so much. If all it'll take is clutch packs and a tune, that's probably doable. If we're looking at $5-6K to make the gearbox work, I'd probably be out. Good excuse to put in "headers" if they're available too.

A worthwhile tune, maybe with E85, might keep me satisfied.