PDA

View Full Version : Took some logs to troubleshoot the richness mode

alen
01-17-2006, 07:51 PM
After finally resolving the issue of cut throttle at 4.2k rpms after installing the K04 by putting in an APR TIP, I was able to get the full power back from the car. It pulled really nice with the AFPR set at 5bar. I then put in the bigger Siemens 310cc inj., set the FPR at around 55psi and just recently put in the Greddy fmic. So I took some logs the other day after noticing some really slight loss of power after the fmic. Also, there is soot all over the rear bumper and trunk from the obvious rich running of the engine coupled by the free flow of the test pipe.

Well, here are some logs that I took:

http://www.vizualflux.com/linkedpics/Logs/Jan14/rpms-maf.jpg

http://www.vizualflux.com/linkedpics/Logs/Jan14/timing.jpg

http://www.vizualflux.com/linkedpics/Logs/Jan14/lambda.jpg

http://www.vizualflux.com/linkedpics/Logs/Jan14/boost.jpg

Afterwards, I would let the car cool down at idle and then detected numerous cyl 1 misfires. Thinking that the plugs (NGK BKR7E) are fouled up I pulled them out and they sure were. After only 4k miles, they were totally fouled up although the copper part was not spent at all. I put in a new set and after I ran it hard to test it I detected one misfire on cyl 1.

My strife is this: Is this car running way too rich with the current settings (regular K04 file)? I don’t think it’s normal to have soot all over the rear of the car that is impossible to wash so what are ways to prevent this?

Alen

k0mpresd
01-17-2006, 08:12 PM
9.8 deg of timing pull...wow

alen
01-17-2006, 08:24 PM
lol i know wtf?

mmart6545
01-17-2006, 10:06 PM
I'd go and do some logs with the oem injectors in at 5 bar (if thats what the program calls for). See how everything looks. If all is good, move back over to the larger injectors. Looks like you need to lean it out more.

Devious27t
01-17-2006, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by mmart6545
I'd go and do some logs with the oem injectors in at 5 bar (if thats what the program calls for). See how everything looks. If all is good, move back over to the larger injectors. Looks like you need to lean it out more.

2nd. that if the K05 files calls for stock injectors and a 5bar i would just use that. i doubt you are gonna get much more out of the other injectors without extra tuning to back it up. FWIW the ecu will pull timing if you are getting misfires under load. at least from my own experiences.

alen
01-18-2006, 06:02 AM
the bigger injectors and the afpr are for the J31 file that I am about to run. I will try to log the same with the new plugs and then if the results are the same i will go back to 6Es and try with the stock inj. and 5bar.

Alen

alen
01-29-2006, 09:13 AM
Ok, so took some more logs today after I put in a new set of BRK6E at 0.028". Took the 7Es out and after less than 300 miles the tips were white while everything else looked fouled. Also, there were multiple misfires in cyl. 1 at idle after running the car hard. With 6Es the car ran so much better. Noticed a misfire in cyl 1 (it's not the coilpack, I switched it with cyl. 3). Took note of block 32 and noticed that the second value (Partial Throttle -10.1%) went into the negatives.

http://www.vizualflux.com/linkedpics/Logs/Jan28/partial_throttle.jpg

http://www.vizualflux.com/linkedpics/Logs/Jan28/partial_throttle_2.jpg

Should I lean it out a little and if so, how much based on the percentages above? I'm concerned, though, because the plugs I took out were white.

Alen

SeanF
01-29-2006, 09:22 AM
white plugs could mean:

engine is overheating
wrong heat range plugs (too hot of a heat range)
improper fuel octane
improper timing
air/fuel is too lean

alen
01-29-2006, 09:27 AM
yup, i know. yet i'm getting relatively high readings from block 32, posted above, meaning that I'm running too rich.

SeanF
01-29-2006, 09:39 AM
well, yea, and its likely the heat range issue (since you said it ran better with colder plugs)...

alen
01-29-2006, 09:42 AM
no actually it runs better now with the hotter (6E) plugs than with the 7Es. the ones I took out last night and had white on them were the 7Es (with onloy cou[ple hundered miiles).

Devious27t
01-29-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by SeanF
white plugs could mean:

engine is overheating
wrong heat range plugs (too hot of a heat range)
improper fuel octane
improper timing
air/fuel is too lean

if his fuel trims are around -10 he is not running lean as that says that his ecu is removing about 10% of fuel from the map, IE there is too much.

I would run 7's @ .028" but that is just me. with a 6 i would run around a .032" gap to dissipate the heat a bit.

AudiA4_20T
01-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by DVS18t
2nd. that if the K05 files calls for stock injectors and a 5bar i would just use that. i doubt you are gonna get much more out of the other injectors without extra tuning to back it up. FWIW the ecu will pull timing if you are getting misfires under load. at least from my own experiences.

to go along with what DVS said- isnt it just that the injectors arent made for the K04 file your running right now but they are made for the J31 software? So why not try the J31 maybe it would smooth things out. It seems like your just taking in too much feul because the injectors arent supposed to be for that file? Just a suggestion

mike-2ptzero
01-29-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by alen
yup, i know. yet i'm getting relatively high readings from block 32, posted above, meaning that I'm running too rich.

Plus the fact that your 02 readings are a bit high(rich). If everything is rich then you might want to turn the fuel down a little to get the 02 readings around .85 and get blocks 032 down below -10.

AudiA4_18T - The chip he is running(most likely the K05) and the J31 were tuned with stock 270cc injectors and a 5 bar fpr. But there have been plenty of people that have changed to 310-317cc injectors and an adjustable fpr. Going that way allows for a little more fuel in the higher rpms where the stock injectors and 5bar fpr combo tend to lean out. The larger injector combo will also help with the fuel pump since it will increase the fuel flow.