PDA

View Full Version : I copied RippleChip, Pics Inside

juju4uofa
01-17-2006, 11:02 AM
Well, I had originally planned to build a sub box in the right corner of my trunk, where the cubie hole is. However, after buying the sub I realized that the magnet was too wide to fit in the space and still have room for 3/4" mdf to go around it. I started looking in to other options and kept falling back to the large void where the tool box and cd changer are located. I already had removed my cd changer because I have the Blitzsafe adaptor for my iPod so I decided to give it a shot. Originally, I was still going to build it out of mdf but quickly realized not only how difficult it would be but also there would be no way to get a cubic foot of volume. So I decided I'd try fiberglassing. I've worked with Carbon-Kevlar but never fiberglass and never such an akward shape but I decided to try it anyway.

Step 1: I removed the cd changer and tool kit bracketry
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/juju4uofa/96ed0ff8.jpg

Step 2: I lined the space with tin foil and masking tape
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/juju4uofa/71208196.jpg

Step 3: I applied the first layer of fiber glass. I used 3Ms spray on adhesive to stick the fiberglass to the tin foil and then I applied the resin. If you'll notice, for my first layer i used fiberglass cloth but for every layer after that I used fiberglass matte. I heard the matte was better if you were going to adhede the fiberglass to wood. It was about 50 degrees outside and the resin still wasn't dry the next day. I used a heat gun (sparingly) and it dried fine.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/juju4uofa/03db8cde.jpg

Step 4: I then pulled the shell out and added additional layers to the inside of the shell.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/juju4uofa/7adeea3b.jpg

Step 5: I put the shell back in and then put the inside trunk liner back over the shell. I cut out a sub mounting ring out of 3/4" mdf and munted it to the shell using dowel rods.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/juju4uofa/58ad4295.jpg

Step 6: I added more dowel rods for support and then checked for clearance with the sub.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/juju4uofa/7af664a3.jpg

Step 7: I filled in the rest of the frame with fiberglass and voila! It was complete. After installing it in the trunk I added carpet to the front of the box.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/juju4uofa/3fd9e4a7.jpg

Laugh if you want but I covered the box in duct tape to prevent any air leaks the box may have had. Surprisingly, I didn't have to mount the box to anything, it fits in the spot very snug. The existing cover will fit over the sub but I have to do some minor modifications. The sub sounds much better than I expected. The bass is very tight and crisp with no noticeable distoration at any volume. The sub also sounds exactly the same with the cover on or off. Disregard all of the wiring you see all of that will be hidden and my amps will be mounted underneath my rear deck. Overall the project was not bad, a little time consuming but well worth it. Thanks, to RippleChip for his previous write up.

EVIL-AUDI
01-17-2006, 11:06 AM
Nice work.

94jedi
01-17-2006, 11:07 AM
Very nice....I'm in the midst of the same project but it's been a while since it's been over 50* on a non work day for me....Plus I glass outside so I don't stink up my garage and my house.

atwalker6
01-17-2006, 11:11 AM
wow great work..looks like it's supposed to be there..

Hassmeister
01-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Holy crap - that is one clean job!

RedRocket
01-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Nice, but does it sound good? Doesn't the box have a function?

RedRocket
01-17-2006, 12:19 PM
And won't it vibrate the shit out of the body/sheet metal?

Gundem
01-17-2006, 12:19 PM
i might as well copy you...lo....does it make any extra shaking noise.

98Black30V
01-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Yeah did you go by the volume requirement specs for that specific sub, or just kinda make the box to fit the gap? If you look at the instructions that came with the sub(if you bought it new) it should specify a suggested volume needed.

94jedi
01-17-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by 98Black30V
Yeah did you go by the volume requirement specs for that specific sub, or just kinda make the box to fit the gap? If you look at the instructions that came with the sub(if you bought it new) it should specify a suggested volume needed.

There's really no way to measure the vol of the enclosure in that particular space other than to fill it with water, then measure the amount of water. Don't forget to account for the displacemnt of the magnet and basket structure of the sub.

jones3000
01-17-2006, 01:12 PM
nice. I've always wanted to install a box but I need my trunk. You gave me some ideas.

buck
01-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Very nice work!

Raddue
01-17-2006, 01:32 PM
That is one of the cleanest installations I've ever seen. Excellent work.

juju4uofa
01-17-2006, 01:38 PM
The recommend volume for a sealed enclosue for my sub was 1.0 ft^3. I've estimated I have about .9 ft^3. I probably could've squeezed another .1 ft^3 out of that space but oh well.

As far as the sound, I am VERY impressed. I've owned many different subs and enclosures and used to install systems and build boxes in high school. My objective was to have a decent SPL but ultimately to have amazing SQ. I can honestly say this is one of the cleanest sounding subs I've heard (in the trunk of a car). Also, the SPL was higher than I expected so I am very pleased. The sub is rated for 300 watts rms and I'm sending 250 to it. I'd love to hear a 1000 watt sub in the same box. As far as stuff rattling, no, there are virtually no rattles. The only rattles I've had were the amplifier bracket on the stock rear left speaker and my license plate. I fixed both of these however. There are no ratttles coming from the body panel and I would feel comfortable putting a stronger sub in the same spot.

jaredpgh
01-17-2006, 01:43 PM
is that a pain to remove now? it looks like it might be an hourlong job to replace taillight bulbs. otherwise, that looks extremely professional, nice work!

Still Lost
01-17-2006, 01:58 PM
this is one of the first projects im doing in the spring

great job though, i really like the finished product, im debating fabric or smoothed and painted fibre glass

onemoremile
01-17-2006, 01:59 PM
it should just pull out. one of the benefits of forming the enclosure in the car is a perfect fit. i've done a few of these and never had to worry about them moving. one thing that really helps is to cut a nylon or leather strap an inch wide and a couple inches long. attach it to the top, side, or bottom of the enclosure with an inch or so hanging out. if you need to remove the enclosure you grab that strip with some needle nose pliers and it pops right out. using radio control car battery connectors as quick releases for the speaker wires helps too.

the work looks great, especially for a first time with fiberglass. i'm not all that keen on the duct tape sealant method. if you go to a marine store you should be able to find West System fillers. these are additives of varying density that are added to resin to thicken it up. i mix it to a mayo consistency and let it run into all the cracks and crevices. it usually takes a couple applications since gravity pulls it one way or another. do one side the flip it over and do another later.

again, the thing looks great. i'm glad it turned out so well for you.

i've been thinking that if i get some spare time this spring i'll do something similar in my avant. the phatbox will get moved from the stock cd changer location to the spare tire well above the tire. then the stock sub will get replaced with a fiberglass enclosure and a sub that can actually displace some air.

AudiSnawb
01-17-2006, 02:05 PM
wow, very clean looking bro! nice job- you should get in the buisness [up]

Audi_Sniper
01-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Looks good...

juju4uofa
01-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Yea, the box will come right out no problem. Like I said earlier it's a snug fit so you have to tug on it a little bit but no big deal. As for the duct tape, I used to use silicon to seal the wooden boxes I made but was then introduced to Duct Tape and it's magic. For the wooden boxes the ape seals them great, for me it worked much better than the silicon. I figured I'd do it on this box just for the heck of it. I had the duct tape lying around so I figured why not. I've listened very closley and can not hear any leaks. So maybe there were no leaks to begin with or I just can't hear the leaks due to the boxes position in the car. Either way, I'm very please with the sound and appearance.

RippleChip
01-17-2006, 03:05 PM
Nicely done...thats definitely the way to go if you want to save your trunk and run a sub.

It takes some time but in the end its well worth it, will be so clean when you get everything mounted up.

drlandry00
01-17-2006, 04:52 PM
what will you ever do without that handy dandy tool kit!!! WHAT IF YOU GET A FLAT TIRE. [confused] haha

Looks great man. clean job, always respect someone who puts some effort into a project.. [up]

SeanF
01-17-2006, 05:52 PM
i may be selling a 12" sub and amp, but the sub may be a little too deep for this kind of install...

RippleChip
01-17-2006, 05:55 PM
The toolkit actually stands in the cubby and holds tight, so I still have mine in the trunk.

RippleChip
01-17-2006, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by SeanF
i may be selling a 12" sub and amp, but the sub may be a little too deep for this kind of install...

There is actually a lot of room in there, I have a full 12" sub with reasonable depth put in that spot.

$teady$upreme
01-17-2006, 06:19 PM
very very nice...

tkarwin
01-17-2006, 07:06 PM
rediculously clean and classy. two thumbs way up!

juju4uofa
01-17-2006, 07:38 PM
RippleChip is right on both accounts. The tool kit stands up perfectly in the cubie hole and there is enough room for at least a 7.5" mounting depth, probably more.

ckandes1
01-17-2006, 08:15 PM
oh wow man, that looks very clean, i'm impressed

boosteda4
01-17-2006, 08:17 PM
i dont think that would sound good though... maybe just for show?

juju4uofa
01-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Think what you want boostedA4. I just got back from a "car club meeting" (if that's what I'm supposed to call it) and everyone was highly impressed. Like I said earlier it's one of if not the cleanest sounding setups I've ever had. As for SPL, I've had much more but this is all I want. It pisses me off when people have 2 12s and 1000 watts but there mids and highs are insufficient to say the least. Too many people play their music differently that it was intended to be played which imo sounds like crap. This sub is proportional to all music including rap. Don't knock it till you rock it :).

boosteda4
01-17-2006, 08:45 PM
lol.. cool. no doubt.. i give u that, it is a clean install... i was just saying i dont think it would sound that great... cuz subs are made to specifications that need to be met in order to sound good.. but it is clean..

and im one of those guys with a mean system, but believe its proportional sound.. I dont like those all bass systems either.. =)

Poopie
01-17-2006, 09:00 PM
i forget the article, but sealed enclosures are pretty forgiving when it comes to volume. How did you run the speaker through the enclosure to the sub? Thats what most write ups forget about. I'm gonna tackle an install like that in the spring.

Poopie
01-17-2006, 09:01 PM
...but building to specs gives you the best results. If you are not far off, it shouldn't sound "bad"

juju4uofa
01-17-2006, 09:08 PM
I got ya BoostedA4. Yea I was worried too about the box volume but I actually think .9 may be conservative and I am close to 1. I talked to our Harman Kardon rep at work today and he went into some technical spill about a .9 ft^3 compared to a 1 ft.^3 box. At the end of his proclaimation of sound system jargon he said .9 was just fine. Anyway, I'm happy with it.

BTW, I'm loving your fender gap (or lack there of). I wish I could run Teins. I'm assuming you have S-Techs? Is that your car on their website? I haven't been there in a while but it looks familiar.

Poopie, I assume you are talking about speaker wire? I just drilled a hole in the box and siliconed it shut. This is much easier than trying to install a terminal on such an akward shapped box.

boosteda4
01-17-2006, 10:30 PM
Yes S-tech springs... still havent installed my koni yellow fully adjustables!!! lol. ahhhhhhhh! Thanks for the compliment

the website is just a local forum here... its just a little thing... but fun to post at..

Im just wondering why you CANT go s-tech? weather?

p.s. thanks for the little kick of knowledge too with the sound. =)

greenz
01-18-2006, 01:31 AM
any options for those of us who like our toolkits and cd changers where they are ? I have also checked the right side and it doesn't look large enough.

robots_are_neon
01-18-2006, 04:37 AM
well done, very clean

RippleChip
01-18-2006, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by greenz
any options for those of us who like our toolkits and cd changers where they are ? I have also checked the right side and it doesn't look large enough.

You can build it on the right side, it just has to come out a little further. Won't be flush with the side of the trunk. It's your best option other than building a box if you want to keep all the other stuff.

quickglx
01-18-2006, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by onemoremile
using radio control car battery connectors as quick releases for the speaker wires helps too.

Seriously? Are you talking about a 9v battery connector? I hope not...

A4euro
01-18-2006, 06:38 AM
i've got my Solobaric 12w7 in the same spot......custom fiber glas setup done by my friend at Tweeter.......I'll have to post pix so you can see how clean it looks. Hits hard already, clean, no rattles, I just need a bigger amp to make it slam. Audis generally won't rattle, solid interiors.

greenz
01-18-2006, 08:37 AM
ripple - what about a free air sub attached to the rear deck ?

RippleChip
01-18-2006, 09:36 AM
I don't know, that would kill space having it hang down though. Would be better off to build one in a box that sits in the corner, can easily be taken out when you need the extra space.

juju4uofa
01-18-2006, 11:55 AM
I've never been impressed with any free-air subs personally. You could put your tool kit in the right side cubie hole, mount your cd changer under the rear deck and then build the box.

BoostedA4, Tein doesn't offer any products for B5 quattros :(

onemoremile
01-18-2006, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by quickglx
Seriously? Are you talking about a 9v battery connector? I hope not...

similar connectors but higher quality. those would work in a pinch. i doubt anyone could hear the difference between the two connectors on a sub anyway.
i've been doing audio and car audio for years. i've always been amazed when the cheap stuff sounded better than the expensive stuff. i'm not surprised by it anymore.

juju4uofa
01-18-2006, 01:29 PM
Expensive wiring for audio is bull crap. Many high end manufactuers of home audio equipment recommend 14 gauge extension cable for speaker wire. I saw an article comparing noise cancellation between extension cable and some bogus $4,500 a yard speaker wire and the differnces were minimal at most. I've been using it on my Harman Kardon system for a while and I can't imagine it sounding any better. It's just human nature to assume more expensive equals better.

onemoremile
01-18-2006, 01:46 PM
yup. the cheapest wire will sound like crap. after that the 80/20 rule is more like 98/2. i swapped between monster cable's fancy stuff and radio shack interconnects and heard no difference. i did a blind test with some audiphile geek friends and nobody could pick the fancy wire more than 5 or 6 times out of ten.

the best was when i pulled a 6 ohm JL Audio 12W6 out of my own car and replaced it with a $40 pioneer IMPP 8 ohm 12 that i had used in as a ghetto home sub for years. it was more musical and had a more effortless, pleasing sound. in short, it sounded more expensive than the JL. i swapped them back and forth countless times for weeks. i couldn't believe it. that Pioneer is maybe 12 or 13 years old now and still going strong in my brother's truck.

Mawhitey
01-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by 98Black30V

Thats how i did it,a jug and a bath of water.Great job there buddy[up]

onemoremile
01-18-2006, 03:20 PM
styrofoam packing peanuts are quicker and easier than water and make a lot less mess. and you don't have to wait for anything to dry out afterward.

enclosure volumes are just estimates anyway. going smaller or larger will change the Q of the system. generally, smaller is tighter and punchier while larger is boomier. it all depends on the driver's suspension design too. too small and you can rip the spider right off that sucker. when that happened we would cut the cone off and make a marble shooter out of the voice coil.

boosteda4
01-18-2006, 09:45 PM
ohh yeh.. thats right.. stupid frontrak.. =( hahaha