PDA

View Full Version : Fluid for use in clutch slave cylinder

Basileus
01-31-2018, 07:10 AM
I have a 2008 S5 and the clutch pedal has failed (goes to the floor...doesn't come back without help). Looks like the slave cylinder has failed. What fluid should I use in this repair? How much of it? Is it the same fluid that's in the transmission and clutch master cylinder? Forgive my ignorance...I've owned several manual cars ('81 Toyota Celica, '86 944T, and this S5) and have never had a slave cylinder fail.

NaiveTurtle
01-31-2018, 08:25 AM
The slave cylinder shares fluid with the brakes. So you need to use brake fluid. You fill the fluid for the clutch and the brakes through the brake reservoir.

I use Motul RBF600 personally. It's more of a performance oriented fluid but the higher temp rating is good for spirited driving.

S5Pilot
01-31-2018, 03:21 PM
Motul 5.1

jaypilot75
02-25-2018, 12:19 PM
Are you getting any abs lights on the dash?

Basileus
03-06-2018, 09:37 AM
Are you getting any abs lights on the dash?

I didn't have ABS warning light.

Basileus
03-06-2018, 09:45 AM
The slave cylinder shares fluid with the brakes. So you need to use brake fluid. You fill the fluid for the clutch and the brakes through the brake reservoir.

I use Motul RBF600 personally. It's more of a performance oriented fluid but the higher temp rating is good for spirited driving.

Thanks for your help. My mechanic was ill and I couldn't reach him for the answer. Believe it or not, ordinary parts stores (commercial chains like Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, etc...) couldn't answer this question. I couldn't even get an answer I could be comfortable with from a local Audi parts shop...I won't put them on blast, but...really?!? So anyway, my mechanic got up from his "death bed" and told me the same thing you did. I went and bought some brake fluid from the VW shop down the street. All is good now. Again, thanks for the help Na´ve Turtle, and S5 Pilot!