PDA

View Full Version : My engine going??

LaTenTConcepT
01-16-2006, 08:12 PM
I just put in thermostat and immedatly after I lost all power form about 4 k on I have a 1997 2.8 qm. I dentaly lost Alost of power did i do somthing worng after the new thermo or is it a quiencedence that at the same time I put the new thrmo in my engine is going to?? waht are some signes of a bad engine??

ps: it has 158800 miles on it

Quattrocket
01-17-2006, 12:23 AM
did you lose all power or just alot? i had that happen recently on my 1,8T. id had tonnes of power up to 5k then a big drop in power. soon after the engine started making noise and i think a lifter is gone possibly the cam chain tensioner is going.

Droors43
01-17-2006, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by LaTenTConcepT
I just put in thermostat and immedatly after I lost all power form about 4 k on I have a 1997 2.8 qm. I dentaly lost Alost of power did i do somthing worng after the new thermo or is it a quiencedence that at the same time I put the new thrmo in my engine is going to?? waht are some signes of a bad engine??

ps: it has 158800 miles on it

Huh? We all might be more capable of helping you if we could understand what you are talking about.

Either way, I think I can throw out some suggestions. I doubt that the thermostat would ause anything like that.

I'd suggest paying attention to your RPMs. If you are losing power from 4K on, your clutch might be slipping. Have you ever changed it?

Just a thought.

LaTenTConcepT
01-17-2006, 06:04 PM
i do defnatly need a new clutch but its funny how i feel the major power loss after I put the new thrmostat on..... posiblytime for the clutch just a big quicendence

Yuikio
01-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Coincidence.

Droors43
01-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Yuikio
Coincidence.

One down, several to go.

Now, get that clutched fixed. Take a look at your tachometer. Once you hit 4K does the needle shoot to redline very fast while you are trying to accelerate? That is certainly a good sign.

LaTenTConcepT
01-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Droors43
One down, several to go.

Now, get that clutched fixed. Take a look at your tachometer. Once you hit 4K does the needle shoot to redline very fast while you are trying to accelerate? That is certainly a good sign.

nah doesnt shoot up at all gets slower as it climbs in rpm's

its odd all the way up to about 4k I would say I have about the same power as I did before after that losses alot of power... i live in the hills and to get up past 4 k is a chore.

LaTenTConcepT
01-17-2006, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Yuikio
Coincidence.

thank you I was looking for the spelling on that

ckandes1
01-17-2006, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Droors43
One down, several to go.

that happened to me one time from mid 3k rpm, i was doing nothing but accelerating on the aggresive side and the thing just shot up to redline instantly. pretty new clutch, under 30k on it.

LaTenTConcepT
01-18-2006, 09:01 AM
but accelerating on the aggresive side and the thing just shot up to redline instantly.

yea but mine doesnt shoot up it has alot of hesatation getting to the upper rpm's

LaTenTConcepT
01-18-2006, 06:15 PM
bUmp

Droors43
01-18-2006, 06:44 PM
no clue man...

might just have to take it to a shop.

LaTenTConcepT
01-18-2006, 07:01 PM
no idea what I would tell them I have my vag the only code it picks up is low washer fluid... no cels at all