PDA

View Full Version : warning re: APR and used chips

dualaudi
01-16-2006, 07:55 PM
Okay... so, i got my used APR chip in the mail... YAY!!! so happy...

then i call the APR company and ask them how much to install it in my 99.5 audi... they were shocked i even had a used APR chip, as if they "HATE" re-using a used chip... supposedly if you have their chip taken out due to wanting to sell your car or take it down to the dealer, they won't give you the chip... (he said the company would hold on to it)

He said, well... it would be $150 to do the install "if it even works/links up to our system" so #1. their skeptical about the chip i have... #2. they don't recommend soldering and de-soldering...

Honestly it doesn't sound like APR wanted to stand behind their product and install it for me (HE SAID THERE WOULD BE NO WARRANTY)... and i don't think i'm going to be able to trust sending it to them.. (ehem, sorry Sir. your chip is no good... send $400 and we'll chip one of our chips for ya...)

Mother Effers!!!!

WARNING:: Don't buy a used APR chip and expect APR to be happy more people are using their chip...GET GIAC... i think they stand behind their product a little more than goapr.com

TwentyValveB5
01-16-2006, 08:02 PM
where in SD are you? i've never seen your car around.

diegomatrix
01-16-2006, 08:05 PM
there's too many variables that could make the chip bad when de-soldering...how can they guarantee that the person who unsoldered it didn't fry the chip?
if you know where the chip was bought, you probably have better chances of getting it soldered on there..

i've had no problems getting my used chip soldered on at achtuning....

dualaudi
01-16-2006, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by diegomatrix
there's too many variables that could make the chip bad when de-soldering...how can they guarantee that the person who unsoldered it didn't fry the chip?
if you know where the chip was bought, you probably have better chances of getting it soldered on there..

i've had no problems getting my used chip soldered on at achtuning....

I understand that... but APR could very well have said hey... we would be more than happy to "try" and solder that in for you... but fyi, sometimes re-used chips do not work (but once again... send it on in, we'd love to help you out)

Unfortunately, that's not how it went down... I would of still been ecstatic about sending it to such a reputable company, but they just talked me out of sending it to them..

------------
I live in south san diego... where do you live? and i work in mira-mesa...

SeanF
01-16-2006, 08:11 PM
i had my used GIAC chip installed at an APR dealer, cost about 125 including the socket for the install...

Sean@unitronic
01-16-2006, 08:12 PM
I am not an APR dealer, but if you want I will do it for you. shoot me an Email.

SeanF
01-16-2006, 08:13 PM
ps, havent had an issue in over a year...

dualaudi
01-16-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by SeanF
i had my used GIAC chip installed at an APR dealer, cost about 125 including the socket for the install...

I'm sure if i had a "good" local apr dealer out here, they wouldn't have a problem about making $125 off of me to chip this... o-well.. don't have one of those, i'll go to a local shop out here that solders and de-solders boards out here i just heard about....

TomRitt18944
01-16-2006, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Sean@unitronic
I am not an APR dealer, but if you want I will do it for you. shoot me an Email.

That right there is exemplary customer service! We need more companies like this around

dualaudi
01-16-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by TomRitt18944
That right there is exemplary customer service! We need more companies like this around

and I appreciate the offer... I'm goin to check this local electornics place out first, since they're down the street from my work...

if that's a no go i'll definately hit you up... thanks again...

Gundem
01-16-2006, 11:47 PM
How much does a used GIAC go for?

SeanF
01-17-2006, 02:35 AM
mine was 110 or 125 (cant remember exactly) for the used chip, and 125 for the install...

ps, iirc, the apr dealer that did mine said they couldnt warrenty it either....

jstgermaine
01-17-2006, 05:33 AM
I had the exact opposite reply from APR. I purchased my chipped ECU used and was having some low boost issues, that ultimately weren't associated with the chip.

I was sure I was scammed by the seller. I called APR and Greg (Craig?) was more than cordial with his time and responses to the situation.

I was instructed by APR to send the ECU in and they would check to see if:

1. There truly was a chip installed.
2. See if it needed to have the latest program uploaded.
3. If #1 proved there wasn't a chip they would chip the ECU.

I sent it overnight on a Wednesday at 5:30p EST. The ECU was back in my Audi by 10:00a on Friday morning.

Total charge....$30 for overnight shipping both ways....APR didn't take one penny of my $$ for work to the ECU, my invoice outlining the charges simply says:

Warranty work....$0
Shipping....$30

I wouldn't hesitate to refer people to them.

badassbaldie
01-17-2006, 07:41 AM
mine was 110 or 125 (cant remember exactly) for the used chip, and 125 for the install...

ps, iirc, the apr dealer that did mine said they couldnt warrenty it either....

Was that for the chip itself or the chip AND encryption board?

Hassmeister
01-17-2006, 09:47 AM
I wouldn't go about flaming APR.
I understand you are upset.
There are always certain curcumstances behind everything.
APR as many here are concerned... they pride themselves as many here do on delivering a great product to you and me. You never know what you get from another person.

APR is a reputable company as many are here.

IMHO. I always buy from a dealer or dealers vendor that way I have backup and support.
"Unless of course whomever sold it to you will stand beside what they sold you."

HE SAID THERE WOULD BE NO WARRANTY
^^^That's understandable since they did NOT sell it to you. Many businesses will NOT warranty unless you are the original owner (purchaser).

I understand your concern and APR is right.

SeanF
01-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by badassbaldie
Was that for the chip itself or the chip AND encryption board?

yep, i came out at around 250 shipped/installed...

IKE20VA4
01-17-2006, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Hassmeister
APR as many here are concerned... they pride themselves as many here do on delivering a great product to you and me. You never know what you get from another person.

IMHO. I always buy from a dealer or dealers vendor that way I have backup and support.
"Unless of course whomever sold it to you will stand beside what they sold you."

^^^That's understandable since they did NOT sell it to you. Many businesses will NOT warranty unless you are the original owner (purchaser).

I agree with hass completely. I just bought a used GIAC chip on a socket. I had an apr chip on before. I took it to matrix and they said "the solder job on the apr chip is pretty ugly, we will try and take it off and put the GIAC socket on". It took them awhile to get it right but they did! I guess you just have to be weary of 2nd hand soldering of chips. The old solder gets a little messy and you dont want to burn your ECU board. So, worth the risk for the price of a used one? Definitely....(as long as it works) lol

Scuba06Steve
01-17-2006, 11:14 AM
ooo man this reminds me i need to go see jeff!

i need giac asap

Droors43
01-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Sean@unitronic

GO WITH UNITRONIC and let Sean handle this. I can attest to their customer service and their willingness and ability to do things the right way.

Matter of fact I should be receiving my updated BT file Thursday! [up]

creechsa4
01-17-2006, 02:49 PM
Dual, get that apr running asap, so you don't use my giac anymore! ha ha. seriously good luck with that install & let's dyno it on a lonesome freeway......

dualaudi
01-17-2006, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Hassmeister

I do agree with you, and i didn't want to make it too much of a flame post... just frustrated at the lack of service... i could have found a used GIAC, but i didn't i wanted an APR chip...

I can completely understand that they don't want to warranty the chip... thats fine... but lets say they did the overly priced $150 solder to my board... and it worked like a charm... perhaps a warranty charge could have been included in the overly priced install or at the very least minor charge offered...

Once again... i do agree with most of what you said, and i don't knock the APR programming, as there is a reason i decided on going with an APR chip...

dualaudi
01-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by creechsa4
Dual, get that apr running asap, so you don't use my giac anymore! ha ha. seriously good luck with that install & let's dyno it on a lonesome freeway......

:) we'll see tomorrow!!!!

Keith@APR
01-24-2006, 12:58 PM
The cost of a warranty transfer is $150. That will get you a solder and all applicable warranty services, updates, free replacement upon failure, etc.

However, unsoldered modules are very difficult to work with depending on the condition of the module after its been desoldered.

Who did you speak with? Honestly, there has been some debate about our policy towards second hand resales of our software and I would like to make sure the rep you spoke with is up to date on the current policy. Its as I stated firstly in this post.

Where the debate currently lies is if different software for a different ecu part number has to be loaded. As it stands, as long as the ecu part numbers are the same, the warranty transfer fee applies. However, if the ecu part numbers are different, well, that requires different software made for that ecu part number and is viewed as a new purchase. Did the op have the identical ecu part number as the ecu the module came from?

I would suggest contacting our distributor network for these type of concerns as they are aware of the policies and can provide more immediate results.

dualaudi
01-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Keith@APR
The cost of a warranty transfer is $150. That will get you a solder and all applicable warranty services, updates, free replacement upon failure, etc.

However, unsoldered modules are very difficult to work with depending on the condition of the module after its been desoldered.

Who did you speak with? Honestly, there has been some debate about our policy towards second hand resales of our software and I would like to make sure the rep you spoke with is up to date on the current policy. Its as I stated firstly in this post.

Where the debate currently lies is if different software for a different ecu part number has to be loaded. As it stands, as long as the ecu part numbers are the same, the warranty transfer fee applies. However, if the ecu part numbers are different, well, that requires different software made for that ecu part number and is viewed as a new purchase. Did the op have the identical ecu part number as the ecu the module came from?

I would suggest contacting our distributor network for these type of concerns as they are aware of the policies and can provide more immediate results.

I appreciate you taking the time out to read and respond to this post. I'd like to start by saying my intent was not to take the APR name down a notch, just a little frustrated with the Rep from the goapr.com phone number. Unfortunately I didn't think to remember his name...

I did get the chip installed for $40... and i'm loving it... and I don't know if the part numbers matched... I have a 557p 1999.5... he had a 98 a4tqm.... so they might not match... but it works good...

do you guys have software for k04 or something i can use with an eliminator gt28r? or rs? As this will be my next upgrade this summer.

Thanks for clearing the air, perhaps the statement you gave me should be on your website in the chip section. As that may or may not help someone decide on buying a used chip or just paying the $400 for a brand new chip.

TurboForTheWin
01-27-2006, 12:21 AM
What can I do to go about selling off my APR chip? I have an 01' with stock/93/100 thru the cruise control setup.

Should I just sell my ECU (its already soldered by an APR dealer)...

The reason I ask is because I am buying an S4, so maybe they might give me a deal on an "upgrade" for the S4 program?

partridgea4
01-27-2006, 12:59 AM
Hey San diego guys there is a carslbad meet this saturday pm if interested its for all tuned,classic, or any sports car

we have alot of lambos, porshe, Audi,bmw and ferrari comin down so it will be fun pm me

dualaudi
01-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by TurboForTheWin
What can I do to go about selling off my APR chip? I have an 01' with stock/93/100 thru the cruise control setup.

Should I just sell my ECU (its already soldered by an APR dealer)...

The reason I ask is because I am buying an S4, so maybe they might give me a deal on an "upgrade" for the S4 program?

i was told from the APR rep, they recommend u selling the ECU as a whole, since it's already soldered. Do a possible trade and cash if they have the same ECU part number/dbw from your car...

Originally posted by partridgea4...carslbad meet this saturday

carlsbad is a bit far for me, as i am in southern San diego... but i'll be heading out to borrego springs for a nice hike, i might cruiz on by...