PDA

View Full Version : Perfect TIMING

drlandry00
01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
Hey guys, I just want to talk about what is going on with my HOWDIE AUDI.

I just brought my audi in for the 130k checkup. I am having the Timing belt done, waterpump, acc belts, thermostat, coolant, tensioner, and all other gadgets that go with that job. I also had some dried up coolant on the oil cooler, so i had that changed also. And the fuel pump, spark plugs, oil change.

I got all the parts for 300 bucks. They are all factory OEM.

I just talked to my mechanic, he said my old timing belt was starting to crack and was streched quite a bit. He told me the waterpump was whining and making noises and also the thermostat was no bueno. The plugs were cooked and the vac lines were cracked.

My car was running ok (a little rough and vibrated a bit more than normal) before I brought it in, SO I cant wait to see the difference when I get it back. It will be like a BRAND NEW CAR again.

I am very excited to put 100k more on my NEW car. Now I have piece of mind. Just wanted to share my excitement with guys that can actually appreciate it. No one else even knows what a timing belt is, so telling them is useless.. There it is. I guess it is K04 time this spring.

Total cost: parts 300 install 200 = $500 bucks cant beat it!!!

AudiSnawb
01-16-2006, 02:25 PM
wow! Thats a smokin deal- 500 for all that?! insane cheap bro- Happy for you that your getting it all done... Im at 122k.... so I need to do it all soon........ Glad to hear ur up and runnin [up]

alen
01-16-2006, 02:32 PM
nice you found someone do it for that cheap although 6-8 hrs DIY sure beats that, too. :D

when i changed my tb and other things that gave me a piece of mind of going with more power with the car but it also put a hole in my wallet and cc. :(

:off to put some S4 engine mounts::

drlandry00
01-16-2006, 02:38 PM
I would have loved to DIY.. however, i am in dire need to my car now that school has started, So i figured 1.5 days in the shop is better than a week with me working on it after work and school..

Plus $500 bills isnt that bad for everything, almost worth me NOT doing it!!

AudiSnawb
01-16-2006, 02:55 PM
Hey bro, can you PM me this guys info? Is it a shop- and thats his going rate? please let me know, Id do the same package... Id rather sell the CF hood and do maintenance................

JMG
01-16-2006, 03:01 PM
$500 is definitely worth it. TB job is around 800+ alone.

SoleMate
01-16-2006, 03:11 PM
wow, great deal!

newb quesiton...how do you know when your TB needs changing? I'm at 120k and am very nervous.

Slipstream
01-16-2006, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by SoleMate
wow, great deal!

newb quesiton...how do you know when your TB needs changing? I'm at 120k and am very nervous.

If it hasn't been done yet, DO IT NOW. You don't have to worry about whether or not it needs it... because IT NEEDS IT. The belt may be fine, but the water pump/tensioner/pullies are grenades waiting to go off. Even Audi reccomends that you do it around the 100k mark.

Gundem
01-16-2006, 04:34 PM
i think that deal is even worth it to drive from Cali to RI.

LateraLex
01-16-2006, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by drlandry00
He told me the waterpump was whining and making noises

How can you tell if it is whining? Is the noise audible above the engine?

nizmosx
01-16-2006, 04:40 PM
Make sure that guy knows what he is doing. I had a bunch of stuff done including replacing my motor and the labor was cheap, Now im spending top dollar fixing all his fuck ups. So far its costed me double of what the cheap labor was. Be sure this guy is audi certified. pay the money and get it done right or you will pay later. TRUST

bitterchild
01-16-2006, 05:25 PM
ditto what paul said

drlandry00
01-16-2006, 06:30 PM
^^^ I hear ya boys, I am also a big believer in Quality work, especially when it comes to Audis.. He has done many audis in the past and is a gifted mechanic. I have known him for over 5 years now and he is a personal friend.

He gives me 5% over cost on parts, so he can make money and only charges me minimal installation.. I usually give him a great tip after the job (if everything goes well) so he knows that he will get some more money with that.

Great guy. Does all the work himself, not some mechanic rat helper..

He works out of a smaller shop here in RI.. He is usually working on hondas and acuras so he always gets Pumped when I have work for my car. He says the Audis are his favorite car to work on. Says every piece is quality. (unlike those hondas!!)

as for the noises, I guess he checked it while it was out of the car?? couldnt tell ya, that is what he told me..

AudiSnawb
01-16-2006, 06:33 PM
we'll if he wants to work on my "quality" car.... drop me a line, you know where to reach me [up]

drlandry00
01-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by mechatune
the $300 for parts, is that from your mechanic or you sourced it out somewhere, like online?

naw those are his prices... well what he charges me anyway..

corey, I will get ya his info..

98Black30V
01-16-2006, 06:58 PM
Yeah it really helps to know people.... I got my timing belt and all else that goes with it, all my front control arms, tie rod ends, and suspension kit installed for $400 from a buddy of mine. Took him a while to get it all done since he was doin it bit by bit after work, but it was worth it having the piece of mind knowing a certified vdub mechanic was doin it all for me.

SoleMate
01-16-2006, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Slipstream
If it hasn't been done yet, DO IT NOW. You don't have to worry about whether or not it needs it... because IT NEEDS IT. The belt may be fine, but the water pump/tensioner/pullies are grenades waiting to go off. Even Audi reccomends that you do it around the 100k mark.

I thought it was every 60k

drlandry00
01-16-2006, 07:03 PM
^^me too, I thought every 60k-70k it should be done??

mike-2ptzero
01-16-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by SoleMate
I thought it was every 60k

Yes, a rubber timing belt should be changed every 60k miles even if the owners manual suggests 100k miles. Because that is just a suggestion.

NosduhGT
01-18-2006, 06:28 AM
Am wondering if you can pass along your mechanic's contact as well.

Just picked up 2001 A4 with 125,000 miles on it, and am thinking it will need a handful of work.

Thanks.

jones3000
01-18-2006, 08:17 AM
I know the feeling. I have 106k on mine and did TB and all that other stuff at 88k. Big difference.

///s50
01-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Just bought Timing Belt/Tensioner/Belts/Water Pump Kit
Timing Belt, Water Pump & Belt Kit
Includes:
Continental A/C Belt
Continental Water Pump Belt
Continental Serpentine Belt
Continental or Dayco Timing Belt
German Water Pump
OEM Thermostat w/ O-Ring
OE Tensioner
OE Idler roller
OE Updated roller kit for
1996-early 1999 "AEB" code engines
Fits:

https://www.pap-parts.com/default.asp

Doing install myself

drlandry00
01-18-2006, 03:58 PM
well it is done boys... My car feels like it is new again. Engine is soo smooth and it is just what I expected!!

I also had the fuel pump changed, (from what i hear isnt easy, however it is done)

and I had the oil cooler changed. I was getting some coolant build up at the clamps. so I didnt want any oil mixing with coolant!!

My mechanic works out of a smaller shop in woonsocket RI. The name is Custom Perforance Upgrade. The mechanics name is Blair. His phone number is 401-766-6000. Please tell him that David Landry refered you, That is me.

Total cost for everything lus fuel filter and oil cooler was 647.00. Not bad for that whole job!!!