PDA

View Full Version : Coolant temp problemo

CaSp3r9
01-15-2006, 01:22 PM
How easy is the thermostat to replace? I think mine is stuck wide open because my coolant temp guage always hangs around the 1st to 2nd marks off of "C", it rarely goes to the center mark - where it should be. I'm going to switch out the coolant sensor since its fairly inexpensive and takes like a minute to do. That could be and hopefully is the problem, we'll see. I have a '98.5 1.8t, so I need the green one, correct? Where can I get one? Can I just grab one from a VW dealership? I want to avoid going to the stealership, I hate dealing with those bastards [mad] if you don't have a brand new Audi, you get NO respect, ESPECIALLY as a 17 year old kid!

k0mpresd
01-15-2006, 01:26 PM
you more than likely need the blue one, not the green one

059 919 501 and N 903 168 02

vw and audi both use the same part #'s so getting one from the vw place should be as easy as walking in there and giving them those 2 part #'s

the thermostat is in a housing that is bolted to the side of the waterpump..just follow the bottom radiator hose and youll see what im talking about

and 17?? ..well..i cant say much really..when i was 17 i had my second of 2 944's...got one when i was 15 and the other when i was 17

CaSp3r9
01-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks man. By my age you were on your second Porsche?! Got your first at 15?! HA, and people think I'm spoiled! haha, just kidding. Where I live, 16 year old kids get BRAND NEW BMW's, Audi's- even a 2006 A6 4.2!! Infinities, Hummers, Subaru's, Lexus's, VW's, even a BRAND NEW Porsche Cayenne S!!!! It's almost disgusting...
I should take pics of some of the students cars at my highschool sometime just to show you guys, its kind of sickening haha. Most are cocky, spoiled little bitches, but I'm one of the few thats not like that. I greatly apprechiate everything I have and I have to work for all of it so don't think any less of me haha. IE - An entire year of good grades got me my A4 [:D]. I waited soooo long, but it was DEFINITELY worth it!

Thanks again for the help!

CaSp3r9
01-15-2006, 01:57 PM
Oh, and how much can I expect to pay for the new sensor/washer?

k0mpresd
01-15-2006, 02:10 PM
$30-40 prob

partridgea4
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
i have the xact same problem wiht my audi actually it cause my engine light to come on my coolent is never in the middle of the cool hot gauge and is always very very low. I am also 17 and where i live kids also get new sti's, m3's,srt4's,the new gto,audies,even moserati,porshe,hummer its insane i hate it

CaSp3r9
01-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Not hating on you or anything, but are you from a different country or is english a second language to you? I'm asking because half of what you just said either doesn't make sense or is spelled wrong...
My appologies if I offend you, but I'm just curious. [:p]
As far as the coolant guage problem, like most of the maintence problems on our cars, it's a bitch to deal with[:(]. Oh well...

CaSp3r9
01-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Not hating on you or anything, but are you from a different country or is english a second language to you? I'm asking because half of what you just typed either doesn't make sense or is spelled wrong...
My appologies if I offend you, but I'm just curious. [:p]
As far as the coolant guage problem, like most of the maintence problems on our cars, it's a bitch to deal with[:(]. Oh well...

CaSp3r9
01-15-2006, 04:33 PM
oops... I dunno why that posted twice but I guess I'm special as well [:D] hahah

Poopie
01-15-2006, 04:48 PM
Try vagging your car. It probably is your coolant sensor, but it might be your gauge as well.

CaSp3r9
01-15-2006, 05:01 PM
Yeah.... But I don't have access or money to VAG my car. Ah! Any really rich guys out there wanna send me a couple thousand bucks to feed my modding addiction/help out with maintenence? Paypal - CaSp3r9@hotmail.com [:D] [:p]

Poopie
01-15-2006, 05:11 PM
lol we are all in the same boat.

CaSp3r9
01-15-2006, 06:58 PM
haha, well.... kinda. I'm a high school student with no job and no money. I'm pretty sure most of the guys on here are either college students with jobs or college grads with good jobs/careers

BarryT82
01-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Have autozone or somewhere scan it for you. I got my coolant temp sensor for about $6 from ecs tuning. I have the green sensor.

k0mpresd
01-15-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by BarryT82
Have autozone or somewhere scan it for you. I got my coolant temp sensor for about $6 from ecs tuning. I have the green sensor.
thats a good suggestion and then use http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tech/vw/vw.dtc.table.htm to tell you what the code really means in vw terms

b00st
01-16-2006, 02:52 PM
i just did my coolant sensor that i ordered from ECS...the Blue one. and it was 15.95...and took two minutes to replace. make sure to open your coolant resevoir...to release some pressure...its still gonna pour out coolant when you pull the old sensor...so make sure you have your o-ring on the new old and the old one comes off and swap it in quickly as coolant will be flowing out. and make sure you got your new one to seat properly. after your reinstall it...let the car run and get up to temp....if your sensor doesn't pop off after getting hot and no leaks...you did it right.

Neo1130
01-16-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by b00st
i just did my coolant sensor that i ordered from ECS...the Blue one. and it was 15.95...and took two minutes to replace. make sure to open your coolant resevoir...to release some pressure...its still gonna pour out coolant when you pull the old sensor...so make sure you have your o-ring on the new old and the old one comes off and swap it in quickly as coolant will be flowing out. and make sure you got your new one to seat properly. after your reinstall it...let the car run and get up to temp....if your sensor doesn't pop off after getting hot and no leaks...you did it right.

Umm, I think you forgot to tell him to close the resivour back up after pressure is relieved!! If you open the res and leave it open you loose the suction that will save the coolant...