PDA

View Full Version : JHM B8 RS5 2.75" Valved Cat-Back Exhaust Teaser

Jake@JHM
01-05-2018, 04:36 PM
Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/m3lc-TtW5JM

The sound of this exhaust in person is absolutely glorious with the valves open, and respectable when they are closed.

Beast
01-05-2018, 06:15 PM
wow very nice, clean tone! Now just add burble/crackle functionality with your ECU tune :D

JamesRS5
01-05-2018, 08:00 PM
wow very nice, clean tone! Now just add burble/crackle functionality with your ECU tune :D

Please do not do this with the ECU tune!

Exhaust sounds great Jake, does the system include downpipes or downpipes back?

Ape Factory
01-05-2018, 09:08 PM
Sounds nice and smooth, no rasp, which is a good thing! When will you be able to spill the technical details and results? Would like to hear how you arrived at the 2.75" tubing.

LINDW4LL
01-05-2018, 09:23 PM
I'll second the above- I really appreciate the smooth, clean tone. Sounds proper!

Joshua_RS5
01-09-2018, 04:03 AM
Sounds very good guys! Now, this could just be my imagination, but does it sound like there is a little bit of blow-off or spooling when the engine is coming back down in the RPM range?...[drool]

JamesRS5
01-09-2018, 04:30 AM
Just the usual RS5 clatter to my ears Josh.

Joshua_RS5
01-09-2018, 04:32 AM
Just the usual RS5 clatter to my ears Josh.

I suppose so. I've never been behind my car when it was reving or behind any RS5 while it was reving for that matter. I guess I was just hoping this car was outfitted with the JHM top secret supercharger kit they have been in development of. [=(]

chrissurfr
01-09-2018, 07:55 AM
that sounds really good - super clean. might have to swap out my AWE for this if gains are there.....

Treeskier
01-09-2018, 08:27 AM
i'll echo all the above comments. definitely intrigued...

tekkai
01-09-2018, 08:42 AM
Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/m3lc-TtW5JM

The sound of this exhaust in person is absolutely glorious with the valves open, and respectable when they are closed.

Would something like this be worth it on the S5

Blackstallion
01-09-2018, 07:35 PM
What a beautiful and unique tone!

JHM teasers are the worst - like waving a carrot in your face...

chrissurfr
01-10-2018, 06:22 AM
does this system already have downpipes? if so....you guys mastered the art of no rasp....

Jake@JHM
01-10-2018, 08:10 AM
System is from the headers back!

Thanks guys [up]

Jake@JHM
01-10-2018, 08:12 AM
The 2.75" is definitely needed for a high revving V8 like the RS5. Let the beast breathe.

Joshua_RS5
01-10-2018, 08:23 AM
Is it worth to even do headers on this car given how much work it would take to do so?

Jake@JHM
01-10-2018, 09:10 AM
Is it worth to even do headers on this car given how much work it would take to do so?

We will be building a set and testing on our car to figure out that exact question. The car has catted headers from the factory.

Joshua_RS5
01-10-2018, 09:15 AM
We will be building a set and testing on our car to figure out that exact question. The car has catted headers from the factory.

Okay cool! And yeah, this I know. They cost $1620 each from the factory haha... #AudiProblems

chrissurfr
01-10-2018, 11:07 AM

hell yeah! please make a high flow cat version too. im so glad you guys are working on these cars now.

chrissurfr
01-11-2018, 10:55 AM
any estimated release dates? :)

krism
01-16-2018, 06:54 AM
any estimated release dates? :)

+1, very interested

krism
02-06-2018, 12:53 PM
Any update on this?? I'm looking to get a system by summer

Jake@JHM
02-06-2018, 01:04 PM
Any update on this?? I'm looking to get a system by summer

We are getting our Fabrication Department prepped for full scale exhaust production!

krism
02-06-2018, 01:54 PM
We are getting our Fabrication Department prepped for full scale exhaust production!

Good to hear! Any more details you can provide at this point? HP/Torque gains? Price?

Ape Factory
02-23-2018, 08:32 PM
Price is up on their website. Sale price is $2,999.95. Regular price is listed at $3,500. Scant details otherwise and no before/after dyno.

They also have a bottle of supercharger lubricant under the RS5 section. Such a tease. No word on tune yet.

A4toRS4
03-13-2018, 07:12 PM
Any update on this? Finally getting another car so I can use my RS5 as a weekend car.

Tech/Sales@JHM
03-14-2018, 12:47 PM
Thanks for all of the orders! Let us know if you have any questions [up]

Ape Factory
03-14-2018, 12:57 PM
Thanks for all of the orders! Let us know if you have any questions [up]

Yes. Is there a before/after dyno?

Ape Factory
03-14-2018, 06:11 PM
Bueller...

Bueller...

Bueller...

Jake@JHM
03-15-2018, 08:02 AM
We've done some dyno testing, but we are still determining which performance metric we wish to share. We typically don't do dynos because its not a reliable metric.

Ape Factory
03-15-2018, 08:35 AM
Appreciate it. Yeah I read a few threads (after I posted) where you mentioned the dyno thing. I'm interested in area under the curve and any loss in torque down low vs. a stock or 2.5" system. Need a good reason to upgrade, LOL.

Jake@JHM
03-15-2018, 09:35 AM
Appreciate it. Yeah I read a few threads (after I posted) where you mentioned the dyno thing. I'm interested in area under the curve and any loss in torque down low vs. a stock or 2.5" system. Need a good reason to upgrade, LOL.

There won't be any loss in the power curve. We chose 2.75" specifically to let it breathe better up top, and have the X-pipe designed and located specifically for optimal power gains.

If you are looking to get most power out of an exhaust system, this is it and what it was designed for. The nice exotic sound is just a bonus [:)]

JamesRS5
03-15-2018, 12:46 PM
I never understand the reluctance to share dyno results, if the tests are back to back on the same dyno then the results are valid no matter what the original numbers are (high or low)

Iíll be honest and say Iím not interested in a product if the supplier/manufacturer canít support their performance product with a proven test result. If I purchased your exhaust, it would be on the dyno and results published for all to see, puzzled why you wonít do that for the people interested in this?

Jake@JHM
03-15-2018, 01:29 PM
I never understand the reluctance to share dyno results, if the tests are back to back on the same dyno then the results are valid no matter what the original numbers are (high or low)

Iíll be honest and say Iím not interested in a product if the supplier/manufacturer canít support their performance product with a proven test result. If I purchased your exhaust, it would be on the dyno and results published for all to see, puzzled why you wonít do that for the people interested in this?

Because in this industry companies fluff dyno results to sell product. Because of this, we have ALWAYS done performance testing at the track to show real world gains.

Lets just say we post a dyno of a product that gains a legitimate 15whp . Then a fraudulent company comes around and posts a dyno result of their similar product with a "gain" of 25whp. You are going to want the the 25whp product from the other company because you the customer don't know that they are fraudulent, and they fluff their results and the product you are buying is actually subpar.

We choose to go fast with our products because a fraudulent company can't go fast with their parts. They can only advertise fabricated dyno results.

We have seen this WAY too many times. The dyno is a tool for tuning/development. It unfortunately has become a tool for marketing to take advantage of the uneducated .

Then you run into the fact that all dynos read differently and people are trying to compare them together. A new shop opened up near by us with an AWD dyno so we decided to take the RS5 there during our testing of the exhaust. Our first pull did 4000hp. Yes, FOUR THOUSAND. We left and never went back to that dyno because they had no idea what they were doing.
'
Our local track is closing, so we are looking into other ways to show performance data.

JamesRS5
03-15-2018, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the explanation Jake.

I would like to think people can sniff out bogus numbers from the real deal, we saw this happen a few years ago during the development of two RS5 intake systems, one company showed several dyno results of the car before with OE intake and after installation with their intake fitted, they ignored the initial higher number result (which they could have easily advertised it at) and went for the consistent result. They were 100% transparent with the development and results.
The second company used numbers from an RS5 with an ECU tune and full exhaust installed. It was no surprise most of the guys went for the first option.

Itís hard to quantify an exhaust by the results from a drag strip, not all the guys pull away from the lights using launch control on a daily basis but they may want to see an improvement in the bottom end of the torque curve so daily driving and overtakes are made easier, isnt it easier and more descriptive to show real world gains as the gap between two lines on a chart than it is to say it will shave 0.3 seconds off your 1/4 mile time.

I hope you kept the printout for the 4000HP run, you must have topped it up with that high performance snake oil.

A4toRS4
04-15-2018, 12:56 AM
Anymore updates or videos? Perhaps an inboard video as well?

Daredevl
04-22-2018, 08:34 AM
Hi all,

I just recently purchased the JHM exhaust and have nothing but good things to say about it. It definitely gives it a much more deeper/ healthier tone and I could definitely feel the difference when accelerating. I posted a similar video to JHMís teaser on my Instagram if anyone wants to take a look... @_rickysuave https://instagram.com/p/Bh2weTogHAY/

Ape Factory
04-23-2018, 09:06 PM
I'd be on it myself if they showed an improvement over a mandrel-bend 2.5" exhaustion an otherwise stock car or one with an intake. Does sound evil!

chrissurfr
04-25-2018, 06:29 AM
is it pretty loud or somewhat quiet? i need loud loud...

Hypnoguy
04-26-2018, 04:57 AM
Sounds great, but did anyone see the disclaimer on the JHM site?

Off-road use ONLY: THIS PRODUCT IS FOR RACING COMPETITION ONLY AND IS NOT LEGAL FOR USE IN HIGHWAY OR STREET VEHICLES OR OTHER NON-RACING COMPETITION OFF-ROAD VEHICLES. BY PURCHASING THIS PRODUCT YOU ACKNOWLEDGE ITS INTENDED USE.

Ape Factory
04-26-2018, 05:08 AM
That's fairly common in this industry. That way if you get a noise ticket or other compliance issue, it's on you. They haven't gone after CARB certification or anything with the exhaust because it simply costs too much money.

I actually just looked up AWE's policy and I could not find the same thing. Actually just the opposite. Lifetime warranty for original owner unless you use it in motorsports. Wonder if that means track days. No mention of off-road only either.

There was a particular shock company here in the States that did the same thing but stated they'd still honor the warranty on a street-driven car. Ok, well, put that in writing! Needless to say, I went elsewhere with my business.

Jake@JHM
04-26-2018, 07:44 AM
Sounds great, but did anyone see the disclaimer on the JHM site?

Off-road use ONLY: THIS PRODUCT IS FOR RACING COMPETITION ONLY AND IS NOT LEGAL FOR USE IN HIGHWAY OR STREET VEHICLES OR OTHER NON-RACING COMPETITION OFF-ROAD VEHICLES. BY PURCHASING THIS PRODUCT YOU ACKNOWLEDGE ITS INTENDED USE.

Technically it's illegal in CA (where we are from) to modify your exhaust.

jdmnomore
04-27-2018, 08:08 PM
Man I want this and the tune when it becomes available. Truthfully I think my awe track extreme is one of the best sounding exhausts for the car but I'm more concerned with performance and AWE rattles like crazy.

Next time I get the car in for maintenance I may jump on the exhaust so I can swap systems at the same time. Anybody have any ideas for a fair asking price for used AWE track extreme with less than 7000 miles?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sftuner
05-04-2018, 06:59 PM
I currently have the awe extreme while I love it at full wail but it drones like crazy. And Iím all for performance. So please JHM post some real world hp results and some actual pics of the exhaust when time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ape Factory
05-05-2018, 07:33 AM
I currently have the awe extreme while I love it at full wail but it drones like crazy. And Iím all for performance. So please JHM post some real world hp results and some actual pics of the exhaust when time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can add the resonated downpipes from AWE and completely eliminate the drone while not loosing any hp.

BuyTheWarranty
05-08-2018, 04:28 PM
Just purchased the 2.75" system. Had been going back and forth with Dru for months and finally pulled the trigger! Should be here in a week or so, I'll post some videos on YouTube when I get a chance!

Ape Factory
05-09-2018, 07:08 PM
Any chance you could do a before/after dyno?

Treeskier
05-10-2018, 11:16 AM
Jake - what's the weight of the JHM exhaust? I believe stock is ~58lbs...

BuyTheWarranty
05-10-2018, 11:26 AM
Any chance you could do a before/after dyno?

Nearest dyno from me is about 100 miles away, plus the cost so I doubt it. I'd imagine we'd get similar performance gains to the RS4 setup that JHM did (https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/591396-RS4-Customer-installed-JHM-2-75-quot-Full-RS4-Exhaust-System-1-4-Mile-Improvement), but I guess we'll see! I do find it interesting that Velocity puts their X-Pipe right after the downpipes (connectiing them) whereas, JHM puts them further downstream where the center resonator used to be like most other systems (AWE, Akrapovic).

spa
05-10-2018, 02:49 PM
I do find it interesting that Velocity puts their X-Pipe right after the downpipes (connectiing them)

That's good... from a performance point of view, this is exactly where you want it.

Jake@JHM
05-10-2018, 03:29 PM
Nearest dyno from me is about 100 miles away, plus the cost so I doubt it. I'd imagine we'd get similar performance gains to the RS4 setup that JHM did (https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/591396-RS4-Customer-installed-JHM-2-75-quot-Full-RS4-Exhaust-System-1-4-Mile-Improvement), but I guess we'll see! I do find it interesting that Velocity puts their X-Pipe right after the downpipes (connectiing them) whereas, JHM puts them further downstream where the center resonator used to be like most other systems (AWE, Akrapovic).

Our X-pipe is as close to the engine as it can be. Right after the DPs

- - - Updated - - -

I will post when I get it weighed [up]

BuyTheWarranty
05-13-2018, 05:36 PM
Just came across this today!

Not sure if anyoneís seen it: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcdYGsfAfVD/

Ape Factory
05-13-2018, 06:37 PM
Yep, the RS5 definitely understeers.

ffearless
05-13-2018, 07:56 PM
You've got to love it. They did a great job with the car.

Ape Factory
05-13-2018, 08:58 PM
Well, so far, as far as we all know, they've just done an exhaust. I'm holding out until I see more :)

Beast
05-14-2018, 03:31 PM
Just came across this today!

Not sure if anyoneís seen it: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcdYGsfAfVD/

Thatís from Dec 2017 ...

BuyTheWarranty
05-18-2018, 09:48 PM

Do you know where the 58lb measurement came from? JHM didn't given me an official weight of the system (still waiting), but they mentioned there was no weight savings over factory, since I'm going from a 2.3" to 2.75" setup and according to them the factory weight with downpipes is 77-78lbs not 58.

Delasangre4231
05-19-2018, 03:53 PM
I am currently debating between this and the Remus system. I will echo about half the people here and I want to see Dyno numbers. So just to be clear there IS an X-pipe and resonators before the mufflers?

BuyTheWarranty
05-19-2018, 05:04 PM
I am currently debating between this and the Remus system. I will echo about half the people here and I want to see Dyno numbers. So just to be clear there IS an X-pipe and resonators before the mufflers?

Heya! I ordered this system which is going to be installed on Thursday, so I guess I can be the Audizine guinea pig! I kind of feel like I'm doing JHM's job here ... but to be fair to them, if they don't feel they're in a place yet to share a load of information that's up to them (they do a lot of testing, which is awesome) ... though maybe I should get a discount on future items for sharing the good word ... [:D]

Exhaust Info:

X-Pipe - The X-pipe is right after the downpipe, identical to Velocity's system. This is to maximize power and not lose any torque, while enhancing the sound.
Center Resonator - The factory center resonator is removed, and replaced with their own resonator, to help tone the sound and fully utilize the valved system (not too loud, not too quiet).
Size - Their exhaust (similar to the RS4) is a full 2.75" system including the downpipes, with no 'neckdown' effect anywhere in the chain. What was interesting to me, was to find out that the factory sports exhaust was 2.3" not 2.5", which was the 'upgrade' to a modified full exhaust on the B8 V8 S5.
Testpipes - There are no 'testpipes' for the RS5 from JHM as the car already has 'headers' as the exhaust manifold includes the catalytic converter.
Weight - they said that the factory sports exhaust, including downpipes was 77-78lbs. They didn't mention what the weight of their system was, but they said there would be no weight savings, but that I'd get better performance with their setup vs.that of any competitors (competitors such as Akrapovic & Armytrix claiming anywhere between 10 - 20hp gain with dynos)

Exhaust Performance:

From this RS4 thread (https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/591396-RS4-Customer-installed-JHM-2-75-quot-Full-RS4-Exhaust-System-1-4-Mile-Improvement), you can see that with JHM's 2.75" catback system and 2.75" downpipes, they saved over 0.2 seconds off the 1/4 mile, with an increase in trap speed of 2mph. Using n00b math, this would be the equivalent of reducing the weight by about 200lbs, or increasing the horsepower by about +20
I know they typically don't share stats, but they state a gain of +20AWHP and +24tq for the R8 V8 exhaust (https://jhmotorsports.com/exhaust-cat-back-jhm-fi-r8-v8-stainless-steel-2-75-inch-w-x-pipe.html/). I'm not sure why they choose to share some performance figures with certain systems and not others ...

My opinion on the JHM exhaust:- In the end, based on competitor systems, the R8 V8 setup, and that they've said we'll get better performance than their competitors I believe their exhaust is likely adding somewhere in the vicinity of +20AWHP and +20tq.

ECU Tune:

When I called in to ask the status, they said they've flashed the ECU so many times on the RS5 that they hit the limit (something like 96). They have new ECU's on order from Germany (at 1500 a pop!) and have been working on the tune since the middle of last year. One thing I'm a fan of with JHM, is they do a ton of testing on their own stuff. As someone who lives in a climate that has 80 degree temperature swings between seasons, it's nice to know they test the shit out of their stuff. One thing I wish they had, was a way to swtich maps. With REVO I had an SPS switcher (not available on the RS5) that I could plug in and use 4 different settings. With Velocity, they include a tablet so you can switch the maps.
Velocity claims a gain of +30hp and +28tq with their tune. Everyone has their opinions, and I'll admit I never had my S5 dyno'ed but in my real world, personal experience, I feel this is likely pretty accurate when you consider Eventuri's intake gives you a gain of almost +20hp alone. I had a REVO stage 2 tune on my B8 V8 S5 and noticed a substantial difference between the 'stock' map and the most aggressive setting, especially in the mid-range.
APR shaved over 0.2 seconds on the 1/4 mile with their tune (https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_42fsi_rs5.html) and that's only stating a gain of around +20hp and +18tq. Again, similar numbers to what JHM's RS4 2.75" exhaust did.

My opinion on the JHM tune: Considering their RS4 with all the goodies (tune + catback + downpipes + catless/test pipes) was running times almost a complete second under stock, I'd imagine their tune is going to be a gain of around +30AWHP and +30tq. It may even be more than that if you had a better intake.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I hope this helps some people as I've had to do a fair amount of detective work and there aren't a lot of people with RS5's looking to do these modifications! JHM feel free to chime in!

Delasangre4231
05-19-2018, 05:18 PM
^Very good info, a whole second faster for a 4000# car is impressive, I will most likely be getting their tune and probably the exhaust too over all other competitors, can't wait to hear more videos!

BuyTheWarranty
05-19-2018, 05:27 PM
^Very good info, a whole second faster for a 4000# car is impressive, I will most likely be getting their tune and probably the exhaust too over all other competitors, can't wait to hear more videos!

I doubt they'll be able to shave a whole second off, but I wouldn't be suprised if JHM's shop RS5 is able to run high 11's with their tune + exhaust and potentially a set of light weight wheels! I'd like them to play around with the intake systems and maybe they'll come out with an intake that isn't 3500 Canadian! I'd imagine within a few months they'll have some more info to share, they said their local track closed and they're figuring out other ways to share performance figures ... maybe we'll get those dyno results after all :P

Ape Factory
05-19-2018, 05:30 PM
There are some tune systems out there that'll let you run up to four maps plus a valet mode and they're all switchable with the controls on the steering wheel. Unfortunately, I have NOT seen this for Audi yet. Behind the times.

Delasangre4231
05-19-2018, 05:35 PM
I doubt they'll be able to shave a whole second off, but I wouldn't be suprised if JHM's shop RS5 is able to run high 11's with their tune + exhaust and potentially a set of light weight wheels! I'd like them to play around with the intake systems and maybe they'll come out with an intake that isn't 3500 Canadian! I'd imagine within a few months they'll have some more info to share, they said their local track closed and they're figuring out other ways to share performance figures ... maybe we'll get those dyno results after all :P

Agreed, $2000 is stupid for an intake, hell $3500 is stupid expensive for some pipes and a couple mufflers. But I guess you pay for it because Audi. Honestly I mostly want exhaust for the sound, a little more power would be nice but the car is already amazing!

Treeskier
05-21-2018, 07:14 AM
Do you know where the 58lb measurement came from? JHM didn't given me an official weight of the system (still waiting), but they mentioned there was no weight savings over factory, since I'm going from a 2.3" to 2.75" setup and according to them the factory weight with downpipes is 77-78lbs not 58.

The 58lbs seemed to be a fairly well accepted weight among post I saw online and other websites. I haven't weighed it, so can't confirm it's accurate. If someone has a fully confirmed weight, then more than happy to update to reflect a more accurate number.

BuyTheWarranty
05-24-2018, 10:06 PM
Got the system installed today! Will try and get some videos and pictures to share over the next few weeks. The exhaust sounds much different inside the cabin than outside, I have to admit itís a pretty unique sound and very different than my AWE setup I had on my S5! Also, the factory piping and down pipes were brutally crimped in like 8 separate spots. Weight of the system with down pipes was just under 85lbs, for anyone who is curious.

Delasangre4231
05-24-2018, 10:31 PM
Got the system installed today! Will try and get some videos and pictures to share over the next few weeks. The exhaust sounds much different inside the cabin than outside, I have to admit itís a pretty unique sound and very different than my AWE setup I had on my S5! Also, the factory piping and down pipes were brutally crimped in like 8 separate spots. Weight of the system with down pipes was just under 85lbs, for anyone who is curious.

Can't wait! 85# for JHM system? What's the stock system weigh?

jdmnomore
05-25-2018, 12:48 AM
What's the butt dyno say?

Ape Factory
05-25-2018, 04:44 AM

Trying to gauge how loud the system is so bear with me. Does all the sound seem to be coming out the tailpipes or do you hear it from directly below you as well? Weird question I know but that's pretty much the difference between the AWE track extreme (too loud for me daily) and the touring (just right). The resonated downpipes moved all the sound to the back of the car whereas the track extreme had a good deal of sound coming from directly below you and out the back.

BuyTheWarranty
05-25-2018, 07:13 AM
Can't wait! 85# for JHM system? What's the stock system weigh?

JHM said 77-78lbs

BuyTheWarranty
05-25-2018, 07:16 AM
What's the butt dyno say?

I want to say night and day, though Iíll have to drive it more as the sound when you step on it can make you a little bias. The car definitely feels like itís breathing better and not as restricted. I almost felt before around 2000-3000 RPM the car was stifled and hesitant to get up and go. Power wise now I feel it has more torque/a little snappier down low and is happier/more flowy pushing all the way to redline. Overall I feel like this was a more substantial upgrade than my AWE exhaust + downpipes on my S5, Iíd guess somewhere in the 20hp gain area.

BuyTheWarranty
05-25-2018, 07:21 AM
Trying to gauge how loud the system is so bear with me. Does all the sound seem to be coming out the tailpipes or do you hear it from directly below you as well? Weird question I know but that's pretty much the difference between the AWE track extreme (too loud for me daily) and the touring (just right). The resonated downpipes moved all the sound to the back of the car whereas the track extreme had a good deal of sound coming from directly below you and out the back.

Funny you say that, as I feel like much of the sound is coming right underneath the driver and passenger seat. I was surprised at how quiet it was outside the cabin, compared to my AWE Touring non resonated downpipes.

Overall, very happy with how it sounds. I took the mechanic and a friend for a ride and we all agreed it sounds more like an F1 car or an R8 now, very exotic and very different (in a good way) than my S5. When I first started the car on a cold start in the shop it kinda took be back, as I wasn't expecting that tone. The other mechanics working all turned around and were like ... woah! The valved system is a must have as there is a fair amount of drone and vibration in the cabin around 1700-2000rpm in sport mode, but on the highway at 70mph itís not too bad.

In my honest opinion, there is a stark contrast between sport and valves closes .... which is really what I think we all wanted. Itís very loud in the cabin in sport, and quite tame in valved mode (slightly louder than the factory sports exhaust). Even when driving in automatic and putting the shifter into sport mode with the downshift burbles feels like youíre transformed into a different car ... Iím very impressed.

Jake@JHM
05-25-2018, 07:53 AM
Funny you say that, as I feel like much of the sound is coming right underneath the driver and passenger seat. I was surprised at how quiet it was outside the cabin, compared to my AWE Touring non resonated downpipes.

Overall, very happy with how it sounds. I took the mechanic and a friend for a ride and we all agreed it sounds more like an F1 car or an R8 now, very exotic and very different (in a good way) than my S5. When I first started the car on a cold start in the ship it kinda shocked me! The valved system is nice, there is a fair amount of drone/rattle around 2000rpm in sport mode, but on the highway at 70mph itís not too bad.

In my honest opinion, there is a stark contrast between sport and valves closes .... which is really what I think we all wanted. Itís very loud in the cabin in sport, and bearable in valved mode. Even when driving in automatic and putting the shifter into sport mode with the downshift burbles feels like youíre transformed into a different car ... Iím very impressed.

Yea for those concerned about drone should only drive in sport mode when they want to drive with enthusiasm. Otherwise valves closed will aid in the drone tremendously while cruising.

The DOWNSHIFTS + SPORT MODE = EARGASM

Might make a video just dedicated to that lol

BuyTheWarranty
05-25-2018, 08:57 AM
Yea for those concerned about drone should only drive in sport mode when they want to drive with enthusiasm. Otherwise valves closed will aid in the drone tremendously while cruising.

Drone is most noticeable between 1700-2000 rpm's on takeoff in sports mode, or on the highway cruising between 70-75mph (100-100km) as in 7th gear, the rpm's sit right in that range. Valves are a must to keep it bearable for a long road trip, that or keep it in 6th gear which isn't practical.

The downshifts sound amazing ... however, IMO the upshifts are where it's at ... the little burple on upshift is much more pronounced, a very nice touch!

Delasangre4231
05-25-2018, 10:37 AM
JHM said 77-78lbs

So are we saying that JHM's is heavier than stock?

The valved system is a must have as there is a fair amount of drone and vibration in the cabin around 1700-2000rpm in sport mode, but on the highway at 70mph itís not too bad.

So how is the drone on the highway 60+ with the flaps closed? Can you also try as best as your microphone can to show the "Drone and Vibration" in the cabin, I want to get a better understanding of what you are talking about.

BuyTheWarranty
05-25-2018, 11:29 AM
So are we saying that JHM's is heavier than stock?

I didn't measure the system myself, this is based off what JHM said, so it appears it's heavier than the stock system (which was quite heavy to begin with). Also, the stock system wasn't 2.5" it was 2.3" and heavily crimped on both the catback and downpipes.

So how is the drone on the highway 60+ with the flaps closed? Can you also try as best as your microphone can to show the "Drone and Vibration" in the cabin, I want to get a better understanding of what you are talking about.

I shot two videos this morning, one on a cold start (valves open by default) outside the car (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_vZ9N-8HLQ) and one inside on a semi-cold start (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIUeJ8pq0XM). The video doesn't do it justice as the mic is kind of clipping out the higher frequency stuff which you'll notice in both videos. I'll take better videos later (and when the car is clean) as my Vacuum line came off so when I was switching the different modes it wasn't closing the valves. It is MUCH louder in person.

With the flaps closed on the highway, It's about 15% louder than the stock sports exhaust with valves open. Overall, I feel it's quieter and less cabin drone with valves closed than my AWE Touring + Non Resontaed downpipes - check out the video here. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7ObDwD_-Qw)

Delasangre4231
05-25-2018, 11:36 AM
I didn't measure the system myself, this is based off what JHM said, so it appears it's heavier than the stock system (which was quite heavy to begin with). Also, the stock system wasn't 2.5" it was 2.3" and heavily crimped on both the catback and downpipes.

I shot two videos this morning, one on a cold start (valves open by default) outside the car (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_vZ9N-8HLQ) and one inside on a semi-cold start (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIUeJ8pq0XM). The video doesn't do it justice as the mic is kind of clipping out the higher frequency stuff which you'll notice in both videos. I'll take better videos later (and when the car is clean) as my Vacuum line came off so when I was switching the different modes it wasn't closing the valves. It is MUCH louder in person.

With the flaps closed on the highway, It's about 15% louder than the stock sports exhaust with valves open. Overall, I feel it's quieter and less cabin drone with valves closed than my AWE Touring + Non Resontaed downpipes - check out the video here. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7ObDwD_-Qw)

Haha, yep you need a better mic. Sounds great from what I can tell, cant wait to hear more!

DaytonRS5
05-26-2018, 02:13 PM

I just placed my order yesterday. The video JHM posted to instagram is what really sold me. Thanks for uploading your vids as well. Hoping you or anyone else who has this exhaust will upload additional videos (maybe some high rev, flyby, pull action [:D]) so I can at least daydream until I get mine.

BuyTheWarranty
05-26-2018, 08:01 PM
I just placed my order yesterday. The video JHM posted to instagram is what really sold me. Thanks for uploading your vids as well. Hoping you or anyone else who has this exhaust will upload additional videos (maybe some high rev, flyby, pull action [:D]) so I can at least daydream until I get mine.

Awesome, you are going to love it! I shot a better cold start video this morning (https://youtu.be/nKWGk2hN2TY)

I do have a really really short clip in the car in a parking garage, but the video cuts out just as I floor it. Itís definitely louder in the drivers seat than outside, and it quiets down if you roll the windows down. Itís a uniquely engineered system.

Edit - I just shot this interior clip, however ... the video doesn't do it justice! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=499NrOXsCy0)

Delasangre4231
05-27-2018, 12:19 AM
Awesome, you are going to love it! I shot a better cold start video this morning (https://youtu.be/nKWGk2hN2TY)

I do have a really really short clip in the car in a parking garage, but the video cuts out just as I floor it. Itís definitely louder in the drivers seat than outside, and it quiets down if you roll the windows down. Itís a uniquely engineered system.

Edit - I just shot this interior clip, however ... the video doesn't do it justice! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=499NrOXsCy0)

Still hard to tell because that mic sucks, but DAMN that sounds good!

DaytonRS5
05-27-2018, 09:28 AM

Duuuude! That last video is awesome! Thanks so much for uploading that. The sound is exactly what I'm looking for; deep, throaty, full bodied, no rasp. Cannot wait to get this system strapped to my underbelly.

Beast
05-27-2018, 09:34 AM
Sounds very clean & refinded. A little tame though no? Need more vids including revs

Ape Factory
05-27-2018, 11:57 AM
It's very hard to get good audio that's representative of what it'll actually sound like in person.

I did one of two things. First, set a camera with a quality mic up outside the car and record the car accelerating away.

In-car stuff is even more difficult and I actually went with a GoPro for a camera and captured audio separately with a Rode shotgun mic in the trunk. I ran an XLR cable to the back and actually used an audio recorder app on my iPhone. I synched them in Final Cut. If you record inside the cabin, it doesn't sound accurate. It also helps when the end user is listening through a decent set of headphones or speakers.

You could always use a suction grip to connect the microphone to the trunk but then you're dealing with wind noise, sock or no sock.

Audiloko
05-30-2018, 01:13 PM

Can u check your pm please n thanks jake

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

BuyTheWarranty
06-07-2018, 11:49 AM
A little first to second pull with some overrun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=dXPuW7c40g0
Some stationary high revs : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpBxISdGywU

Delasangre4231
06-07-2018, 12:33 PM
A little first to second pull with some overrun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=dXPuW7c40g0
Some stationary high revs : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpBxISdGywU

Sounds great but quiet, I think you should get together with krism as planned and use that mic he used and rev both cars side by side. Can't wait to hear more!!!

krism
06-07-2018, 12:55 PM
Both set ups sound way better in person!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

Delasangre4231
06-07-2018, 12:58 PM
I just want my exhaust to be LOUD with valves open, and the comments that the JHM is quieter outside the car is concerning, that is unless the Velocity is too loud. Honestly I am not a fan of the construction of the Velocity, and I think JHM builds a better product and I think JHM will produce more power, I just don't want it to be too quiet.

Jake@JHM
06-07-2018, 01:08 PM
I just want my exhaust to be LOUD with valves open, and the comments that the JHM is quieter outside the car is concerning, that is unless the Velocity is too loud. Honestly I am not a fan of the construction of the Velocity, and I think JHM builds a better product and I think JHM will produce more power, I just don't want it to be too quiet.

It's decently loud with valves open but not obnoxious.

It has a real nice exotic sound

Delasangre4231
06-07-2018, 01:17 PM
It's decently loud with valves open but not obnoxious.

It has a real nice exotic sound

I believe you, I guess I just want to hear it in person first. When I had my mustang I spent $200 on exhaust and it was amazing and got me many compliments, this system for $3000+ is a TON for me to spend on exhaust so I want it to be perfect.

Maybe I could come by the shop and hear it on your dev car sometime? I live up near Portland OR but I may be making a trip that direction this summer.

Jake@JHM
06-07-2018, 01:29 PM
I believe you, I guess I just want to hear it in person first. When I had my mustang I spent $200 on exhaust and it was amazing and got me many compliments, this system for $3000+ is a TON for me to spend on exhaust so I want it to be perfect.

Maybe I could come by the shop and hear it on your dev car sometime? I live up near Portland OR but I may be making a trip that direction this summer.

absolutely! Just let us know ahead of time so we can make sure the car is around [up]

altobeast
06-07-2018, 01:47 PM

Downpipes make a huge difference for volume too, plus I haven't done enough research on resonators on the 2 designs.

Delasangre4231
06-07-2018, 02:00 PM
Jake, do you have a nice photo of your exhaust off the car?

Jake@JHM
06-07-2018, 02:24 PM
Jake, do you have a nice photo of your exhaust off the car?

There are some photos getting ready to be uploaded hopefully tomorrow

BuyTheWarranty
06-07-2018, 02:35 PM
There are some photos getting ready to be uploaded hopefully tomorrow

Hey Jake! Now that the ECU's are back and your shop car's running again, are you going to take the car to the track to see if there are any 1/4 differences with the 2.75" system?

Jake@JHM
06-07-2018, 02:42 PM
Hey Jake! Now that the ECU's are back and your shop car's running again, are you going to take the car to the track to see if there are any 1/4 differences with the 2.75" system?

Right now we are focusing on wrapping up the software. If we have time go switch back to stock and JHM at the track we will

Beast
06-07-2018, 03:32 PM

JHM makes nice products, but what makes you think they build a better product vs VAP?

ehh I don't want to start a who's better thing etc etc discussion (both companies are solid) but since you mentioned that one builds "a better product", I'd like to add that as a customer of VAP that actually knows about their reputation & history, I would say that VelocityAP knows exactly what they are doing in terms of exhaust manufacturing. Their products, quality and their name general in the car tuning world speaks for themselves. Google it. They make High quality, industry leading exhaust systems etc for many different supercars & even hypercars. They are one of the biggest/well known tuners in the Aston Martin aftermarket world and even manufacture for OEM Aston Martin Racing Cars.. Only till recently they took the jump into the Audi world...but they are not new to the car game. In fact they were one of the first in the world to build a McLaren 720S Full exhaust system & Tune that broke world records....

Just a bit of background information about VAP since you think they make inferior products.[>_<]

Can't go wrong with either, to each their own.

Delasangre4231
06-07-2018, 03:53 PM
JHM makes nice products, but what makes you think they build a better product vs VAP?

ehh I don't want to start a who's better thing etc etc discussion (both companies are solid) but since you mentioned that one builds "a better product", I'd like to add that as a customer of VAP that actually knows about their reputation & history, I would say that VelocityAP knows exactly what they are doing in terms of exhaust manufacturing. Their products, quality and their name general in the car tuning world speaks for themselves. Google it. They make High quality, industry leading exhaust systems etc for many different supercars & even hypercars. They are one of the biggest/well known tuners in the Aston Martin aftermarket world and even manufacture for OEM Aston Martin Racing Cars.. Only till recently they took the jump into the Audi world...but they are not new to the car game. In fact they were one of the first in the world to build a McLaren 720S Full exhaust system & Tune that broke world records....

Just a bit of background information about VAP since you think they make inferior products.[>_<]

Can't go wrong with either, to each their own.

No no forgive me. I didn't mean to make it sound like they make junk. But comparing exhaust systems between the two the guys from Velocity specifically told me directly that they don't have the right equipment to build the exhaust they want to for the RS5, it bothers my OCD that they couldn't get the mufflers and tips to match so I don't like it. Just my personal taste not a mark on how it performs.

It can be done, we just found that that side was much more challenging, and fiddly and would require additional fabrication challenges getting the fit-ups where we wanted them. Many of these companies also have greater resources than we do (ie mandrel bending in house) and can create some of the tube runs they want from scratch where we have to section them. For our purposes it was going to be easier, and more cost effective to do it the way we did. Which is part of keeping in the 'price is right' range.

BuyTheWarranty
06-07-2018, 08:10 PM
Right now we are focusing on wrapping up the software. If we have time go switch back to stock and JHM at the track we will

Excellent! I know there's no power figures released, but I can assure everyone there is a noticeable power increase in the low end with most of power increase being most noticeable above 6000 RPM's. My guess is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 20 horsepower. I see they've also updated the verbiage on the website to include information about the header to downpipe attachment:

Gasket Matched Flanges: The stock headers on the B8-RS5 are a LARGER diameter than the stock downpipes. This creates a flow restriction and hinders performance. This is because the exhaust gas is forced into smaller diameter piping. Additionally, this transition from larger to smaller diameter piping is not a smooth transition. The smaller diameter of the stock downpipes introduces a wall that the exhaust gasses must first run into before being able to transition creating turbulence. With our JHM Gasket Matched Flanges and the larger diameter of our 2.75" exhaust piping, there is no longer hindrance in exhaust flow allowing optimal exhaust flow for optimal performance gains.

Check this for reference: https://drive.google.com/open?id=18VupE_PZJre3DJSpCmQbICfg7hFaWSOC

The bends on the factory system were pretty bad and were crimped everywhere. Check out the attached photo of the mouth of the JHM downpipes vs. the stock system here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1w4db2NrX9zp9wGow4EQZtZ2rhEIJWQdp

Sound being subjective (I think it sounds great) I think this is your best bang for buck especially if you're looking for performance. Having the exhaust system now for 3 weeks, my only critiques of the system would be:

1. How loud it is at startup (sorry neighbors) and how bad everything vibrates inside the cabin for the first 20 seconds since it cold starts with valves open
2. Really bad drone between 1700-2000rpm's in 1st gear going from a stand still into the power band with valves open (easily solved by closing valves). It does get quieter inside if you roll down the windows!
3. Driver side rear muffler pipe section isn't fitting flush into the exhaust outlet. Hangers on the car are fine and no matter how much we adjusted it wouldn't sit flush (not very noticeable anyway).
4. Vacuum lines on the pump actuator aren't bevelled like the factory system, so I had to use a zip-tie to tighten it on the drivers side (doesn't get hot enough there to melt)

Delasangre4231
06-07-2018, 08:19 PM
Excellent! I know there's no power figures released, but I can assure everyone there is a noticeable power increase in the low end with most of power increase being most noticeable above 6000 RPM's. My guess is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 20 horsepower. I see they've also updated the verbiage on the website to include information about the header to downpipe attachment

2. Really bad drone between 1700-2000rpm's with valves open (easily solved by closing valves). It does get quieter inside if you roll down the windows!

You are talking about power increase solely from the exhaust, before the ECU is tuned? I wonder how much more we'll get with the tune added to the exhaust?

Wouldn't the drone be eliminated or at least better if the resonators were in the down pipes like other systems? Jake, thoughts?

BuyTheWarranty
06-07-2018, 08:38 PM
You are talking about power increase solely from the exhaust, before the ECU is tuned? I wonder how much more we'll get with the tune added to the exhaust?

Wouldn't the drone be eliminated or at least better if the resonators were in the down pipes like other systems? Jake, thoughts?

I'll clarify that by saying, it's only 1st gear drone as you're going from a standstill and up into the RPM band. On the highway, or cruising around town you won't notice it as the RPM's sit above 2000 and it's fine.

Delasangre4231
06-07-2018, 08:42 PM
I'll clarify that by saying, it's only 1st gear drone as you're going from a standstill and up into the RPM band. On the highway, or cruising around town you won't notice it as the RPM's sit above 2000 and it's fine.

See if you can capture it on camera. Sounds only mildly troublesome.

Ape Factory
06-08-2018, 05:12 AM
Excellent! I know there's no power figures released, but I can assure everyone there is a noticeable power increase in the low end with most of power increase being most noticeable above 6000 RPM's. My guess is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 20 horsepower. I see they've also updated the verbiage on the website to include information about the header to downpipe attachment:

Check this for reference: https://drive.google.com/open?id=18VupE_PZJre3DJSpCmQbICfg7hFaWSOC

The bends on the factory system were pretty bad and were crimped everywhere. Check out the attached photo of the mouth of the JHM downpipes vs. the stock system here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1w4db2NrX9zp9wGow4EQZtZ2rhEIJWQdp

I went back and looked at images of my exhaust (not JHM) and noticed it did have a wider flange neck that narrowed down just after the flange. It may be an optical illusion on the photo you providedooks like the JHM exhaust narrows it further down the pipes. Probably worth a few hp right there. I'd switch over to the JHM but I don't think it'll ultimately meet my noise suppression requirements as is.

Here's your pic. I know you can't link google doc images so hope you don't mind.
https://s20.postimg.cc/rb05k55od/jhm.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/5ol53473t/)

Here's a photo I had of my exhaust system, again NOT JHM's, and if you look inside the downpipe, you can see a slightly lighter ring just past the flange. This is where it transitions down. It's pretty smooth but I bet there's an advantage to moving it downstream. Never noticed this at all when putting them on.
https://s20.postimg.cc/4fjlm9i25/4_E076192-8_E56-4_BB4-_AD22-4_EBFFA230601.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/oa5n8dx9l/)
I'm beating a dead horse but I'd still like to see a good, honest dyno graph. I want to see the delta and area under the curve in comparison with OEM.

BuyTheWarranty
07-15-2018, 06:08 PM
New video of a 0-60 and a launch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZqfAplEtOE

I also bought a Dragy, and my best time with the Dragy was 12.68 seconds and best 0-60 was 4.3 seconds. I was at the local track a few weeks back, and my best time was 13.6, as I couldn't get it into launch mode so the Dragy's pretty accurate. We're at 1320 feet above sea level, so using the correction (http://www.hardtail.com/techtips/altitude.html) 12.68 * 0.9848 = 12.48s 1/4 mile time.

I know it's not an exact science, but I'm getting the 'stock' stated figures for Audi, so tough to say if the exhaust helped my times at all or not. I do know, even without a launch at the track, I beat my friends RS5 on one race (has the VAP exhaust and tune), and the others were extremely close (he took off, but I caught up before the 1/4). He also has quite a few more km's on his car than me, and maybe needs a carbon clean.

Jake@JHM
07-16-2018, 07:53 AM
New video of a 0-60 and a launch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZqfAplEtOE

I also bought a Dragy, and my best time with the Dragy was 12.68 seconds and best 0-60 was 4.3 seconds. I was at the local track a few weeks back, and my best time was 13.6, as I couldn't get it into launch mode so the Dragy's pretty accurate. We're at 1320 feet above sea level, so using the correction (http://www.hardtail.com/techtips/altitude.html) 12.68 * 0.9848 = 12.48s 1/4 mile time.

I know it's not an exact science, but I'm getting the 'stock' stated figures for Audi, so tough to say if the exhaust helped my times at all or not. I do know, even without a launch at the track, I beat my friends RS5 on one race (has the VAP exhaust and tune), and the others were extremely close (he took off, but I caught up before the 1/4). He also has quite a few more km's on his car than me, and maybe needs a carbon clean.

That's pretty good!

We could only muster a 12.6 bone stock in optimal conditions at Sac Raceway.

Ape Factory
07-16-2018, 08:05 AM
That's pretty good!

We could only muster a 12.6 bone stock in optimal conditions at Sac Raceway.

What did you run with it tuned?

Jake@JHM
07-16-2018, 08:11 AM
What did you run with it tuned?

XX.X@XXX [evilsmile]

Ape Factory
07-16-2018, 08:12 AM
XX.X@XXX [evilsmile]

Well, it was worth a try. Any ETA on it's release?

Jake@JHM
07-16-2018, 08:15 AM
Well, it was worth a try. Any ETA on it's release?

Not yet, after we found the limit on how many times you can flash the ECU that set us back a couple months waiting on audi to get us new ECUs.

jdmnomore
07-16-2018, 10:14 AM
XX.X@XXX [evilsmile]

My guess 11.93 @ 113.. can we start a raffle?

JamesRS5
07-16-2018, 12:59 PM
Not yet, after we found the limit on how many times you can flash the ECU that set us back a couple months waiting on audi to get us new ECUs.

Interesting, what is that limit? This would be important for the guys who flash back to stock for a service.

Jake@JHM
07-16-2018, 12:59 PM
Interesting, what is that limit? This would be important for the guys who flash back to stock for a service.

It was over 100 flashes

BuyTheWarranty
07-16-2018, 02:02 PM
My guess 11.93 @ 113.. can we start a raffle?

I did 12.68 @ 109.3mph so I think youíre bang on. I feel thereís a lot more torque and mid range power to be had with this car.

Based on my own experience of bad launch, no launch and launch control (which were all about 1 second apart at the track) I figure if JHM can get the RS5 into the power band quicker, weíll see some nice gains.

My official guess 11.98 @ 113mph

Delasangre4231
07-16-2018, 02:06 PM
Something I've wondered for a while, are we at more of a risk of breaking things using launch control on a sticky dragstrip?

jdmnomore
07-16-2018, 02:17 PM
I did 12.68 @ 109.3mph so I think youíre bang on. I feel thereís a lot more torque and mid range power to be had with this car.

Based on my own experience of bad launch, no launch and launch control (which were all about 1 second apart at the track) I figure if JHM can get the RS5 into the power band quicker, weíll see some nice gains.

My official guess 11.98 @ 113mph

So I've got some decent reference points based on my experience here in orlando..

In my 2013 with te37s, pilotsports, eventuri Intake, and miltek exhaust my best was a 12.4 @ 112 in with optimal conditions. I did spin a bit off the line.

In my 2015 with awe track extreme, stock wheels, ps4s, stock intake and apr tune my best was a 12.4 @ 110 with solid grip but poor conditions hot humid day.

So I hope my guess is conservative. Excited to see some results.

BuyTheWarranty
07-16-2018, 05:02 PM
So I've got some decent reference points based on my experience here in orlando..

In my 2013 with te37s, pilotsports, eventuri Intake, and miltek exhaust my best was a 12.4 @ 112 in with optimal conditions. I did spin a bit off the line.

In my 2015 with awe track extreme, stock wheels, ps4s, stock intake and apr tune my best was a 12.4 @ 110 with solid grip but poor conditions hot humid day.

So I hope my guess is conservative. Excited to see some results.

Yea, so that's pretty much exactly what I ran (12.48) using the same elevation calculation (25 feet Orlando to 1320 feet Alberta).

You had both a 2013 and now a 2015 RS5?

jdmnomore
07-17-2018, 06:45 PM
^ yes had a 2013, have a 2015. 2013 car unfortunately was totaled. I guess i should update my sig lol.

BuyTheWarranty
07-17-2018, 07:13 PM
^ yes had a 2013, have a 2015. 2013 car unfortunately was totaled. I guess i should update my sig lol.

Interesting that you ran identical times, with the only difference being a trap speed difference of 2mph with (which was likely the heat and humidity). I'd guess the Evenutri intake on the '13 vs the APR tune on the '15, gave you the same times ... now put those two together ;)

I have faith JHM will get us into the 11's ... the fact that they hit the flash limit of over 100 means they're onto something ;P

jdmnomore
07-17-2018, 07:31 PM
Yea I think the 13' car was capable of quicker if I got better traction. The current car seems quicker I'd imagine with the eventuri and good conditions I could possibly get a 12.2 or better.

Ape Factory
07-17-2018, 08:17 PM
Those PS4s probably helped over the OEM tires. I just put a set on my car and am in love with them. Need to hit the local drag strip but it's 100 degrees plus for the foreseeable future.

Beast
07-17-2018, 08:25 PM
It was over 100 flashes

Is there no way to freeze the flash counter or bypass the limit? Iíve seen it done on the F80/F82 BMWs.... itís actually a Main selling point for many tuners...

jdmnomore
07-20-2018, 12:55 PM
Those PS4s probably helped over the OEM tires. I just put a set on my car and am in love with them. Need to hit the local drag strip but it's 100 degrees plus for the foreseeable future.

Here's a vid of the 13' car you can see me spinning all 4. My buddy gave the vid the dumbest title lol. No doubt the ps4s were better..

https://youtu.be/SMzILsIDYqU

JamesRS5
07-20-2018, 10:44 PM
Tweaking the fuelling on a factory map thatís pretty much stoich on an engine that makes its power from rpm isnít going to give crazy results. As much as Iíd love to see otherwise, my official guess would be that it isnít making so much torque it trips into limp home mode.

Delasangre4231
07-20-2018, 10:50 PM
I'm no engineer, but I don't think adding power can put a car into limp mode. That sounds pretty fishy to me. also from what I understand about this engine it's not really a torque engine, it's meant for high RPM horsepower. With it being NA the most I would expect to see is 10 and 10 HP and Lbs-ft since Audi already wrung what they could from it. It would be nice to be wrong though.

Ape Factory
07-21-2018, 08:02 AM
Tweaking the fuelling on a factory map thatís pretty much stoich on an engine that makes its power from rpm isnít going to give crazy results. As much as Iíd love to see otherwise, my official guess would be that it isnít making so much torque it trips into limp home mode.

Our cars aren't running stoich except as a target while at around a neutral throttle. I've done some logs and there's definitely room to mess with the a/f ratio. I've got to look up some excel spread sheets but I think I was in the low 12's at WOT. On top of that, they'll obviously mess with timing and hopefully valve duration. I've not seen a good mechanical writeup of our valve system but my previous, non-Audi car would alter duration AND lift. Not sure if Audi's system does both. Or if JHM has found out how to access and tweak those parameters. I would think so though.

I'm no engineer, but I don't think adding power can put a car into limp mode. That sounds pretty fishy to me. also from what I understand about this engine it's not really a torque engine, it's meant for high RPM horsepower. With it being NA the most I would expect to see is 10 and 10 HP and Lbs-ft since Audi already wrung what they could from it. It would be nice to be wrong though.

It can actually and it's a very real thing on other forced induction Audis where it's possible to increase the boost and get substantial gains. Remember, we're driving an over-engineered German car LOL. With that said, I do agree with you that unless Audi set the threshold for tripping the limit very low on our cars, I can't see that being a real issue. I would hope there's a TCU tune that accompanies it. Been reading a lot on the APR RS3 tune (have to wade through a lot of bullsh8t posts in those threads) and it appears that was one of their hurdles, getting the TCU set up right. The DCT is a complicated beast.

Ape Factory
07-21-2018, 08:11 AM
I'd actually like to see if they could do an E85 setup on the RS5 as well. I think we could see good gains. Plus I have an E85 station a mile from my house. :)

BuyTheWarranty
07-21-2018, 10:31 AM
Our cars aren't running stoich except as a target while at around a neutral throttle. I've done some logs and there's definitely room to mess with the a/f ratio. I've got to look up some excel spread sheets but I think I was in the low 12's at WOT. On top of that, they'll obviously mess with timing and hopefully valve duration. I've not seen a good mechanical writeup of our valve system but my previous, non-Audi car would alter duration AND lift. Not sure if Audi's system does both. Or if JHM has found out how to access and tweak those parameters. I would think so though.

It can actually and it's a very real thing on other forced induction Audis where it's possible to increase the boost and get substantial gains. Remember, we're driving an over-engineered German car LOL. With that said, I do agree with you that unless Audi set the threshold for tripping the limit very low on our cars, I can't see that being a real issue. I would hope there's a TCU tune that accompanies it. Been reading a lot on the APR RS3 tune (have to wade through a lot of bullsh8t posts in those threads) and it appears that was one of their hurdles, getting the TCU set up right. The DCT is a complicated beast.

+1 on the TCU update. The shifts on the RS5 are quick, but having driven some of Audiís newer S4s and S5s (2018) with the regular transmission and torque converter they feel almost the same.

In my experience, I find the RS5 shifts a little sluggish from 1st to 2nd, and everything above that nice and quick, though I feel thereís room left for a quicker response. My brothers E92 has the Dinan transmission update, and those shifts aren lightning fast.

Iíd agree if JHM doesnít make any TCU adjustments and is keeping the stock intake it wonít be a massive difference, then again, it IS an over engineered system and I think everyone is going to be surprised.

DaytonRS5
07-21-2018, 12:00 PM
Installed the JHM exhaust a few weeks back and wanted to jump in and offer my $0.02:

This system is a complete game changer. Now obviously, your taste in exhaust note/tone is a personal preference but every system I've heard for the RS5, with the exception of AWE, was too raspy for my taste. I wanted this car to sound like the exotic V8 it is and after watching the vids and having a quick conversation with Jake at JHM, I was convinced. And I'm happy to report that the sound is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Deep, throaty and plenty of volume. Passing through the 5K to 7K RPM range the car sounds like a friggin' Lamborghini. With regard to power gain, butt dyno says 20-30 HP - just my uneducated guess but a definite and noticeable difference. The throttle responsiveness is much improved as well. (Note: I have no other mods but plan to spring for the Eventuri intake and keeping my eyes on a potential JHM tune.) With regard to build quality, the shop that services my car services high end exotics daily. This was the first time the techs here had seen the JHM exhaust and the lead tech was very impressed on construction and sound.

Much appreciation to BuyTheWarranty for posting the multiple videos but as is the case with all systems, you really have to hear this in person to appreciate it. IMO the video that most accurately portrays what you'll hear in person is the JHM Instagram video referenced earlier and linked here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcdYGsfAfVD/?hl=en

Lastly, the customer service I received from JHM was second to none. The system was packaged neatly and I received it 3 weeks earlier than the quoted ship date. Needless to say, I'm very happy with the choice I made.

tapcon
08-06-2018, 09:12 AM
Any discounts for Audizine members?

Schinzel
11-23-2018, 10:17 AM
Super excited for a JHM exhaust and ECU tune for my 2015 RS5. I decided to pull the trigger today on both upgrades due to JHM's awesome 15% Black Friday sale. I had been debating about getting a Capristo exhaust, but I loved the JHM ECU tune and lightweight flywheel/performance clutch upgrades I had in my 2008 S5 (really sad I put her into the wall at Road America in August - photos and video links below) so much, that I decided to go back to JHM.

With the black Friday sale, I was able to get both upgrades for a grand total of $3200 (+ $100 for shipping, bit of a bummer on that). That's an awesome deal IMO given that the JHM exhaust includes downpipes (AWE tuning downpipes for my S5 cost $700 alone). The Capristo exhaust by itself would have cost me $3900 (that includes a $400 Black Friday discount) and it doesn't come with downpipes or an ECU tune from JHM.

Once I have everything installed, I'll post a review and some interior/exterior videos of the exhaust.

My old S5's crash video - action starts around 3:10 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIGsToDU9HE&t=7s

Before and after photos of my old S5 (taken 10 minutes apart):

My new RS5 (thank you Haggerty track insurance):

Jake@JHM
11-26-2018, 09:19 AM
Super excited for a JHM exhaust and ECU tune for my 2015 RS5. I decided to pull the trigger today on both upgrades due to JHM's awesome 15% Black Friday sale. I had been debating about getting a Capristo exhaust, but I loved the JHM ECU tune and lightweight flywheel/performance clutch upgrades I had in my 2008 S5 (really sad I put her into the wall at Road America in August - photos and video links below) so much, that I decided to go back to JHM.

With the black Friday sale, I was able to get both upgrades for a grand total of $3200 (+ $100 for shipping, bit of a bummer on that). That's an awesome deal IMO given that the JHM exhaust includes downpipes (AWE tuning downpipes for my S5 cost $700 alone). The Capristo exhaust by itself would have cost me $3900 (that includes a $400 Black Friday discount) and it doesn't come with downpipes or an ECU tune from JHM.

Once I have everything installed, I'll post a review and some interior/exterior videos of the exhaust.

My old S5's crash video - action starts around 3:10 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIGsToDU9HE&t=7s

Before and after photos of my old S5 (taken 10 minutes apart):

My new RS5 (thank you Haggerty track insurance):

Right on thanks for the order, and thanks for coming back to us!! [up]