PDA

View Full Version : Is my head gasket going out?

Phantom_S5
01-05-2018, 11:40 AM
Hi guys,

My name is JC and I'm a new owner of a 2010 S5 V8 (Prestige). Recently purchased it from a local dealer here in Costa Mesa, CA. It's a 1-owner, well-maintained w/ clean carfax, completely stock except for 20" Stasis wheels. Car has 77k on the clock. Fully loaded with nappa leather interior, Audi Drive select, Sports differential package, side assist, nav, and more!

So far I've been really enjoying the car. This is my first German car let alone 'luxury coupe' so I'm still acquainting myself with everything Audi. My previous cars were a 2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road Edition and before that a 2013 Scion FR-S that was supercharged. [drive]

Here's a pic of when I picked it up from the dealer:

https://i.imgur.com/0GN7QjS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/IMwEeKZ.jpg

Car didn't sound loud enough to my liking so a few days later I had the rear mufflers deleted. Sounds way better now!

https://i.imgur.com/ofyOiHc.jpg

So fast forward a week later, and I begin noticing some issues. Tuesday this week my check coolant light went off. Went to go check and the reservoir was very low (almost empty). Went ahead and topped it off and kept an eye on it. Yesterday it was about half below the minimum line so I had to top it off again. Today, I went to go check and levels were OK but I did notice this:

https://i.imgur.com/VwpSHH6.jpg

I'm quite sure it wasn't there before, but I noticed some oil sitting on top of one of the cylinder head bolts by the injectors. No visible leaks around the head or around the engine, car is running fine and no CEL as I drove it to work today. Luckily I have a 30 day or 1,000 mile engine/transmission warranty with 50% parts/labor. Will be getting it checked ASAP and posting an update.

Could anyone give any insights into this? Thank you in advance!

NaiveTurtle
01-05-2018, 11:54 AM
Hi guys,

My name is JC and I'm a new owner of a 2010 S5 V8 (Prestige). Recently purchased it from a local dealer here in Costa Mesa, CA. It's a 1-owner, well-maintained w/ clean carfax, completely stock except for 20" Stasis wheels. Car has 77k on the clock. Fully loaded with nappa leather interior, Audi Drive select, Sports differential package, side assist, nav, and more!

So far I've been really enjoying the car. This is my first German car let alone 'luxury coupe' so I'm still acquainting myself with everything Audi. My previous cars were a 2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road Edition and before that a 2013 Scion FR-S that was supercharged. [drive]

Here's a pic of when I picked it up from the dealer:

https://i.imgur.com/0GN7QjS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/IMwEeKZ.jpg

Car didn't sound loud enough to my liking so a few days later I had the rear mufflers deleted. Sounds way better now!

https://i.imgur.com/ofyOiHc.jpg

So fast forward a week later, and I begin noticing some issues. Tuesday this week my check coolant light went off. Went to go check and the reservoir was very low (almost empty). Went ahead and topped it off and kept an eye on it. Yesterday it was about half below the minimum line so I had to top it off again. Today, I went to go check and levels were OK but I did notice this:

https://i.imgur.com/VwpSHH6.jpg

I'm quite sure it wasn't there before, but I noticed some oil sitting on top of one of the cylinder head bolts by the injectors. No visible leaks around the head or around the engine, car is running fine and no CEL as I drove it to work today. Luckily I have a 30 day or 1,000 mile engine/transmission warranty with 50% parts/labor. Will be getting it checked ASAP and posting an update.

Could anyone give any insights into this? Thank you in advance!

From the looks of it, that appears to be right below the oil filler hole, it looks like oil to me from bad pouring. I would wipe it out really good and give it a few days. If it comes back you have an issue. That does not look like coolant to me.

Regarding the coolant, get under the car and remove the belly pans and start looking for leaks. The thermostat/water pump is on the bottom of the engine on the drivers side. Another thing to check is look all around the coolant reservoir for white residue. Those reservoirs seem to develop cracks every so often. I had to replace mine a while back.

If you think you're having head gasket issues, watch your exhaust (or have someone follow you). When you take off your exhaust should be spewing white smoke under load. Make sure it is not steam from a cold winter morning though.

Phantom_S5
01-05-2018, 12:08 PM
From the looks of it, that appears to be right below the oil filler hole, it looks like oil to me from bad pouring. I would wipe it out really good and give it a few days. If it comes back you have an issue. That does not look like coolant to me.

Regarding the coolant, get under the car and remove the belly pans and start looking for leaks. The thermostat/water pump is on the bottom of the engine on the drivers side. Another thing to check is look all around the coolant reservoir for white residue. Those reservoirs seem to develop cracks every so often. I had to replace mine a while back.

If you think you're having head gasket issues, watch your exhaust (or have someone follow you). When you take off your exhaust should be spewing white smoke under load. Make sure it is not steam from a cold winter morning though.

Thank you for the quick response!

Funny you mention that because I suspected it could have been from a bad pour as well (oil was recently changed out before purchase). I'll give it a few days before bringing it to a shop. I did not see any white residue around the coolant reservoir or hoses either when I checked this morning. Hoping to get it up on a lift tomorrow to get a better look underneath the car.

I'm skeptical it's a head gasket issue now because there's definitely no white smoke coming out of the exhaust under full load. Drove the car pretty spiritedly this morning to work in Santa Monica and the weather is super warm here. Car pulls hard with no hesitation or weird lurching.

NaiveTurtle
01-05-2018, 12:11 PM
Thank you for the quick response!

Funny you mention that because I suspected it could have been from a bad pour as well (oil was recently changed out before purchase). I'll give it a few days before bringing it to a shop. I did not see any white residue around the coolant reservoir or hoses either when I checked this morning. Hoping to get it up on a lift tomorrow to get a better look underneath the car.

I'm skeptical it's a head gasket issue now because there's definitely no white smoke coming out of the exhaust under full load. Drove the car pretty spiritedly this morning to work in Santa Monica and the weather is super warm here. Car pulls hard with no hesitation or weird lurching.

A head gasket failure can always happen on any motor, but I have never seen them be a known problem on these motors. My guess is you have a coolant leak somewhere.

Sazexa
01-05-2018, 01:38 PM
Welcome to the forum! Which super charger kit did you have on your FR-S? I've got a 2015, and was very close to super charging it and doing the whole shabang, but, I ended up buying a S5 V8 myself. Glad to see even if I super charged it I'd have still changed my mind. lol

The rear mufflers being removed make it really nice for a daily driver for most people. I did this, but later on just did a straight pipe from the cats back. Consider removing the front resonators if you want some rasp and pops/crackles to your exhaust note.

The little spot of oil you see would more likely be the valve cover gasket. Although, a lot of times mechanics tend to drip oil in there when adding it to the vehicle. I'd say clean that out good and check again. I believe mine has a little oil in the exact same spot. As NaiveTurtle above said, it's not coolant. That's oil.

Head gaskets are not common on these cars at all, so, I would highly doubt that. There is though, if I'm not mistake, a water cooler for something on the car (that transitions with either the oil or air). I can't remember exactly what, but, sometimes those leak and cause a bit of coolant loss as well, not just the expansion tank.

You'll enjoy the car. It won't feel as quick to turn in, or confidence inspiring at first quite like an FR-S, but once you learn the car more I think you'll like it a fair bit more. I do. Besides, my FR-S can't get out of it's own way in the snow... This S5 is something else. [;)]

Phantom_S5
01-06-2018, 12:02 AM
Welcome to the forum! Which super charger kit did you have on your FR-S? I've got a 2015, and was very close to super charging it and doing the whole shabang, but, I ended up buying a S5 V8 myself. Glad to see even if I super charged it I'd have still changed my mind. lol

The rear mufflers being removed make it really nice for a daily driver for most people. I did this, but later on just did a straight pipe from the cats back. Consider removing the front resonators if you want some rasp and pops/crackles to your exhaust note.

The little spot of oil you see would more likely be the valve cover gasket. Although, a lot of times mechanics tend to drip oil in there when adding it to the vehicle. I'd say clean that out good and check again. I believe mine has a little oil in the exact same spot. As NaiveTurtle above said, it's not coolant. That's oil.

Head gaskets are not common on these cars at all, so, I would highly doubt that. There is though, if I'm not mistake, a water cooler for something on the car (that transitions with either the oil or air). I can't remember exactly what, but, sometimes those leak and cause a bit of coolant loss as well, not just the expansion tank.

You'll enjoy the car. It won't feel as quick to turn in, or confidence inspiring at first quite like an FR-S, but once you learn the car more I think you'll like it a fair bit more. I do. Besides, my FR-S can't get out of it's own way in the snow... This S5 is something else. [;)]

Hey thatís awesome man, I honestly miss that car sometimes. I had the Innovate Supercharger kit on it. Was also running E-85.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180106/ba74b9dde84f88769e1a5b3160e2afd0.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180106/728c2ea5d1d210c0044a002e4092df63.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180106/8cee69e94467682c3c9768a7fb9d0c52.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180106/bb46a30e857deda798e93e20522cfca8.jpg

Hereís my Tacoma:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180106/51d8d2f35eacccd56e0fa370cb328efc.jpg

I agree about removing the mufflers. My favorite thing so far during my short ownership is the intoxicating sound of the V8. Even when just cruising I love listening to it. I have the tiptronic and keep it in manual almost 90% of the time just to revmatch and blip down gears.

Thanks for info on the water cooler, Iíll have to look into that. I wiped down the area with oil and will monitor it the next few days.

I also canít wait to test it out in snow conditions. I knew before purchasing the car that the Quattro system is one of (if not) the best AWD systems out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

Sazexa
01-06-2018, 07:55 AM
Even funnier, the Innovate kit was the one I was going to buy! How did you like it? How was it with E85 vs. pump gas, and did you use a smaller pulley? The Tacoma looks great, too. I want one as a beater/work vehicle lol

The sound of the engine is honestly one of my favorite things about the car. Every day I turn it on, or just get to drive, I can't stop grinning ear to ear. It's been almost a year, and the feeling hasn't faded.

If you've ever driven your FR-S in the snow, you'll know it's almost a futile effort. lol I've been trying my hardest to maintain traction/momentum and get up hills with snow on them in the FR-S, that the S5 has no problem practically idle-ing up. I knew Audi has an excellent AWD system, as I used to work at a dealership. You could always feel the car pulling you out of the turns and corners, always feel the push even the less powerful engine models had. But I got to experience it in the snow for the first time myself Thursday, when we in the North East had this blizzard, or "Cyclone Bomb," as it was so dubiously named. lol I've never felt safer in a vehicle in conditions like those. And I've been in many SUV's and trucks through less snow, as well. My driveway is about 250 feet long. I wanted to go have some fun and see what the Audi had in it, so, I tried leaving my house without plowing my driveway. Mind you, I'm also STRONGLY over due for new tires, and they're only all-seasons, not winter tires. But I was able to get up over the hill in my drive way, through about 6-8" of snow, without the car missing a beat. I went around and had some fun in the snow. I got "stuck" for a few seconds in one parking lot, over estimating the snow. It was much more like a foot or so. Took me a few minutes but I wiggled my self out. Then later on headed back home, I had some trouble with one hilly spot. But once I turned off traction control I got up it fine. Lastly, I pulled back into my unplowed driveway with more snow on it now, and got stuck for good, about 15 feet away from my garage door. I tried cutting across the lawn to keep myself moving faster/straighter, but, once I got back to the pavement the car had finally dug itself in hahaha

Over all, despite my amateur winter driving and bald tires, I don't think the car could be any better without being lifted and having true winter tires. Mind you, I did all this with a 1.2" drop on the car as well. lol

Phantom_S5
01-06-2018, 10:09 AM
I liked it a lot! I was deciding between a twin screw kit like the Innovate and a centrifugal kit using a Vortech unit. For me, the car was lacking low-end torque so I went with the Innovate kit. Plus the whine you get from the supercharger is pretty addicting. Car felt noticeably quicker on E-85 vs pump gas, but I couldnít stand the smell of it while sitting in traffic. Probably didnít help that I had a header back exhaust setup too lol. Overall, I enjoyed the new powerband a lot more with the flex fuel tune I was running from Delicious Tuning.

About the Tacoma, itís a shame they discontinued the TRD supercharger kits for them along with the Tundra. I used to work at a Toyota dealer and one of our master techs had a newer model Taco with the TRD kit installed. That thing was no slouch!

Thatís great youíre able to actually utilize the AWD system to itís potential where you live. Unfortunately for me in CA the only time Iíll really use it is on the occasional snowboard trip to Mammoth or Tahoe.

Have you tried to launch the car in the snow? Maybe drifting in an open space would be a good idea as well haha.

By the way, what are you dropped on? Iím looking into lowering my car to get rid of the wheel gap. Kits Iím looking at:

- KW H.A.S. Kit
- H&R Street Performance Coilovers
- ST Coilovers

red4life5
01-06-2018, 10:25 AM
Have you tried to launch the car in the snow? Maybe drifting in an open space would be a good idea as well haha.

By the way, what are you dropped on? Iím looking into lowering my car to get rid of the wheel gap. Kits Iím looking at:

- KW H.A.S. Kit
- ST Coilovers

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)[/QUOTE]

Funny you ask that about coilovers. Iíve been researching this topic a lot recently. I was sold on the KW 2Ēs but with some in-depth research showed me otherwise.

ST is a lower brand of KW; the price is attractive
KW has had issues on the B8s with the rear Springs not holding the car up
H&R would be a decent choice
Most of what I found led me to the bilstein PSS10 kit which no one has had any complaints about; only positive things.

Love the car; welcome to the forums, glad to have you!

2010 A4 S-Line Prestige

Sazexa
01-06-2018, 01:58 PM
I liked it a lot! I was deciding between a twin screw kit like the Innovate and a centrifugal kit using a Vortech unit. For me, the car was lacking low-end torque so I went with the Innovate kit. Plus the whine you get from the supercharger is pretty addicting. Car felt noticeably quicker on E-85 vs pump gas, but I couldnít stand the smell of it while sitting in traffic. Probably didnít help that I had a header back exhaust setup too lol. Overall, I enjoyed the new powerband a lot more with the flex fuel tune I was running from Delicious Tuning.

About the Tacoma, itís a shame they discontinued the TRD supercharger kits for them along with the Tundra. I used to work at a Toyota dealer and one of our master techs had a newer model Taco with the TRD kit installed. That thing was no slouch!

Thatís great youíre able to actually utilize the AWD system to itís potential where you live. Unfortunately for me in CA the only time Iíll really use it is on the occasional snowboard trip to Mammoth or Tahoe.

- KW H.A.S. Kit
- ST Coilovers
Audizine (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

I tend to not launch the car often, at least not without having a bit of roll or the clutch already engaged. I don't want to kill the stock clutch too much, especially with the torque lock up in an AWD system.

I'm on H&R sport springs, the ones that do a 1.25" front and 1.3" rear drop. I like them a lot. They give the ride a bit more of a FR-S style feel with stiffer and more solid suspension, but I still find it plenty of comfortable for a daily driver. I'm a bit biased, but, I've had great luck on H&R products. I'm likely going to get the H&R street performance coil overs my self.

Phantom_S5
01-08-2018, 04:04 PM
Funny you ask that about coilovers. Iíve been researching this topic a lot recently. I was sold on the KW 2Ēs but with some in-depth research showed me otherwise.

ST is a lower brand of KW; the price is attractive
KW has had issues on the B8s with the rear Springs not holding the car up
H&R would be a decent choice
Most of what I found led me to the bilstein PSS10 kit which no one has had any complaints about; only positive things.

Love the car; welcome to the forums, glad to have you!

2010 A4 S-Line Prestige

I actually had a set of ST coilovers on the FR-S. Great price point and comfort for a daily driver. My car will rarely see any road salt so I don't know if I can justify the added coating on the KW's.

Found a used set of H&R Street coilovers that I might snatch up though. Still need to do more research especially on the PSS10's. Thanks for the welcome!

Sazexa
01-08-2018, 04:14 PM
I don't think H&R's coating is as good as KW's, but, I think theirs are acceptable enough for cars exposed to road salt. Provided they're washed regularly.

Nstoffy
01-08-2018, 04:47 PM
Not sure if the 4.2s have this problem, but the way you describe your drop in coolant, it sounds like a PCV valve issue the 3.0 supercharged V6 have.

Phantom_S5
01-08-2018, 05:16 PM
Not sure if the 4.2s have this problem, but the way you describe your drop in coolant, it sounds like a PCV valve issue the 3.0 supercharged V6 have.

Thanks for the info. I went through a gallon of coolant this last week (First fill on Tuesday, finished two days ago on Saturday). Brought the car to Euro-Tech Motors in Culver City (well known Audi shop here in LA) but it magically started raining and they couldn't accurately check for a leak. They suggested to keep topping it off until my follow up visit this Saturday.

Will post an update.

Sazexa
01-08-2018, 05:19 PM
JHMotorsports keeps those in stock for the 4.2L V8, and typically they only keep "common failure" OEM parts in stock. So it's a possibility.

Porschephd
01-10-2018, 04:17 PM
An issue that I just had which floored me since I only have 50k on the clock is the coolant adapter to the oil separator on the back of the motor off of the throttle body. Itís a common issue with the 4.2s and is under the engine cover. There are two hoses, one on the top and one on the bottom. They crack and will drop coolant on top of the transmission. Might look there as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phantom_S5
01-12-2018, 09:55 AM
An issue that I just had which floored me since I only have 50k on the clock is the coolant adapter to the oil separator on the back of the motor off of the throttle body. Itís a common issue with the 4.2s and is under the engine cover. There are two hoses, one on the top and one on the bottom. They crack and will drop coolant on top of the transmission. Might look there as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. Definitely going to ask the shop to check there as well. Car is going in for an inspection first thing tomorrow morning. My coolant light went off again on the way to work this morning and it was below the minimum mark again.

Phantom_S5
01-13-2018, 11:05 AM
Just finished getting the car inspected by Euro-Tech Motors. They did a pressure test and found the issue to be the throttle cooling valve housing. It was leaking and needs be replaced along with the gasket.

jaypilot75
02-25-2018, 12:56 PM
Welcome to the forum, and Im not hating on the scion (good looking ride btw) but the S5 is in a different class altogether. You will be continually amazed at how easy they (all VAG awd vehicles) to drive in the snow and ice. I have a 4wd toyota 4runner that doesnt drive as well in snow as my s5. Anyhow, common coolant loss issues for 4.2 s5. Those valves are brittle and dont seal properly under expansion as the age (on the outlet side). Glad you found it, and invest in VCDS. Again, welcome to the forum. Lots of knowledgable folks here always willing to help ( so, I have found anyway).

Phantom_S5
02-25-2018, 06:05 PM
Welcome to the forum, and Im not hating on the scion (good looking ride btw) but the S5 is in a different class altogether. You will be continually amazed at how easy they (all VAG awd vehicles) to drive in the snow and ice. I have a 4wd toyota 4runner that doesnt drive as well in snow as my s5. Anyhow, common coolant loss issues for 4.2 s5. Those valves are brittle and dont seal properly under expansion as the age (on the outlet side). Glad you found it, and invest in VCDS. Again, welcome to the forum. Lots of knowledgable folks here always willing to help ( so, I have found anyway).

Thank you for the welcome. What year was your 4runner? Any mods? I had an Ď01 that was 4x4 and I loved that truck. Pretty much bulletproof.

And yeah my coolant flange was leaking quite badly. Glad itís taken care of now. Car now runs great. Replacing all my brakes soon as well! Iíve learned a ton browsing this forum so far. Glad to be here!

jaypilot75
03-24-2018, 10:03 AM
Sorry mate, just been working alot lately. I have a 95 3.0 4wd limited no mods. In my younger years I had a 88 with the removable back 4in. lift on 35's. And yes...they are basically bulletproof. Cant beat a Toyota truck. But I sure do love my Audi!!!