PDA

View Full Version : RS5 Break Pads

Joshua_RS5
12-16-2017, 03:38 PM
Hey guys, just looking for some insight into which pads I should be getting for my car. I should I stick with the tried and true OEM pads or should I go with aftermarket pads such as Hawk or EBC? I so plan on tracking the car once in a while, but I also like to partake in sporty driving on the roads. What do you guys thing?

Phrost2.0
12-16-2017, 03:43 PM
Iíd get the same pads you put in your Honda Civic.

Joshua_RS5
12-16-2017, 04:43 PM
But I don't own a Honda Civic, so what pads are those?

Ape Factory
12-17-2017, 06:38 AM
They're brakes, not breaks. But anyway...try the Carbotech 1521 pads.

I'm assuming you have iron rotors and don't have the ceramic front disks? If so, the Carbotech pad numbers are:
Front: CT1029
Rear: CT1547

A lot of people run Hawk 5.0 pads but I'm not a fan of Hawk products in general.

PeteRock
12-18-2017, 02:06 PM
They're brakes, not breaks. But anyway...try the Carbotech 1521 pads.

I'm assuming you have iron rotors and don't have the ceramic front disks? If so, the Carbotech pad numbers are:
Front: CT1029
Rear: CT1547

A lot of people run Hawk 5.0 pads but I'm not a fan of Hawk products in general.

So you like the Carbotechs better than the Hawks? Are they comparable to the Hawk 5.0s?

Looks like these are not recommended for any Track use. Are there Carbotech pads that you would recommend as a hybrid pad that can be used for street and track?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

Ape Factory
12-18-2017, 07:12 PM
I do like them better than Hawks. I've used plenty of Hawk pads in the past and I've not been 100% satisfied with either the dust or the noise or combo of both. The Carbotechs are not a track pad and are street only. Sorry thought that was part of your criteria. If you're looking for a street/track pad, and don't plan on swapping pads, your pad choice will always be a compromise. One good thing about the Carbotechs is you can swap to one of their track pads and not have to bed in the new pads and can swap back and forth as the pad materials are compatible.

Their track pads start at XP8 and the higher the number, the more aggressive the pad is. Some people do daily drive the XP8's but I'd think the dust would be a bit much and it'd probably chew through the OEM RS5 rotors fairly quickly.

I don't know how hard you're pushing it on the track and I don't know what your rotor temps are. Honestly, I'd just go with a street pad and swap in a track pad if and when you go to the track.

PeteRock
12-19-2017, 03:51 AM
I do like them better than Hawks. I've used plenty of Hawk pads in the past and I've not been 100% satisfied with either the dust or the noise or combo of both. The Carbotechs are not a track pad and are street only. Sorry thought that was part of your criteria. If you're looking for a street/track pad, and don't plan on swapping pads, your pad choice will always be a compromise. One good thing about the Carbotechs is you can swap to one of their track pads and not have to bed in the new pads and can swap back and forth as the pad materials are compatible.

Their track pads start at XP8 and the higher the number, the more aggressive the pad is. Some people do daily drive the XP8's but I'd think the dust would be a bit much and it'd probably chew through the OEM RS5 rotors fairly quickly.

I don't know how hard you're pushing it on the track and I don't know what your rotor temps are. Honestly, I'd just go with a street pad and swap in a track pad if and when you go to the track.

Ok great! Thanks!

I have been swapping pads for Street and Track anyways so Iím cool with that.

I am definitely looking for a Street Pad with some more bite than what I have now that doesnít squeal and produce a ton of dust so these sound perfect.

I have a S5 but run the 8 Pot RS5 Calipers with Hawk Full Ceramic Pads. No noise at all and minimal dust but definitely lacking bite.

I will be trying these CarboTechs in the Spring when I also upgrade to the RS5 Master Cylinder and Booster. Hopefully this will make a noticeable difference.

Thanks for all the info!

Ape Factory
12-19-2017, 05:05 AM
The larger master cylinder should help. Maybe do braided lines while you're at it!

PeteRock
12-19-2017, 05:39 AM
The larger master cylinder should help. Maybe do braided lines while you're at it!

Braided lines are done already along with RS5 Dust Shields up front and Porsche Macan Vents as well to help with cooling

PeteRock
04-23-2018, 02:44 AM
Just had the Carbotech 1521s installed and I love them....great all around pads....nice initial bite but not too grabby....very predictable performance

A little more dust than my Hawk full ceramic pads but itís a welcome trade off for the much improved feel and performance

Iíll be ordering up their XP8s or XP10s for the track soon

Thanks for the suggestion Ape Factory!

Pete