PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic Converter Broke: Safe to Drive?

ChrisAudi
01-11-2006, 06:44 PM
So my catalytic converter pipe broke, and it had been giving me some bad exhaust lately anyway so I went with an HFC

But, the place I want to have install it is a 2 hour drive. Is it safe to drive my car this far without the cat connected?

SeanF
01-11-2006, 06:45 PM
well, it will be loud, and obnoxious, and you will polute the earth...

you will get a check engine code most likely for the o2 sensors...

will it do damage to your car though? not likely.

AudiSnawb
01-11-2006, 06:51 PM
yah wont do any major damage... you can drive it, but just as SeanF said... it will be loud and ugly!

ChrisAudi
01-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Yeah, I'd look like one of those ghetto ass 87 volvo's that have more exhaust leaks than they do horsepower

CaSp3r9
01-11-2006, 07:03 PM
The same thing happened to me, and if your cat broke off of your turbo like I think it did, no way would I drive it 2 hours. I was somewhat hesitant to drive my car 15 minutes to my mechanic. Because your cat is disconnected, not only are all of the fumes going into your engine bay, but all of the heat. This could melt wires and what not, causing big problems...[down].
Try to drive it as little as possible until you get the new HFC installed. Also, when you shut your car off, make sure its inside a warm garage or something especially if its cold out because your engine is going to suck in a bunch of cold air through your turbo and that can cause valves to warp[down].

ChrisAudi
01-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Good call there casper, thanks.

Hassmeister
01-11-2006, 08:24 PM
I nursed mine down the road before X-mas.
Just go easy on throttle!