PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on the next mod, from many who've been there!

Wilken
01-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Hey gang,

You can all check out the ride below, and what I've done to it (next to nothing). But I wanted to keep it pretty toned down, classy, and most definitely non-ricey. I figure I have to sell this thing one day (and then pick up my S6 avant...woot!). Anyway, since it has 71K on the clock, I know that my next un-fun mod is going to be the timing belt. I have the kit picked out, and will do it with the water pump, tensioner, tool rental, etc, once I get the garage space (not too long from now). Also, the snub mount is sitting on the shelf waiting to go on at the same time.

BUT, my main question is...I got a hundred dollar ebay gift cert. for xmas, and have another 75 bucks sitting in my account. What should the next fun mod be? It certainly isn't enough for that awesome supercharger, I like the wheels that are on there, I recently re-did the non-working concert stereo (sans rear speakers....forkin' Germans) w/ integrated XM....I'm thinking lighting.

I really like the look of the one piece with the clear corners, but don't want to get too crazy with the design. I would also love to have some fog lights underneath instead of in the light housing itself (what's up with that??) - but so far no luck getting anyone to sell me their stock ones. E-codes look nice but expensive, so maybe a DIY is the way to go. I'm not really afraid of getting down and dirty with this thing, but once again, want everything to remain classy.

Maybe get one of those HID kits someone is selling here at AZ for 265?

Stock one-piece from some other year? Will they fit?

What would YOU do, fellow board members?

http://uploads.webrats.com/files/22/RFturn2.jpg

AsianA408
01-10-2006, 05:52 PM
1pc head lights. get them from AW ppl. ppl on AZ want too much for them.

Poopie
01-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Clear cornered one piece head lights will really clean up the look on the front end. Fitting them is very easy if you have a dremel. Just cut away at the sheet metal till the headlights fit in. There is a good pic somewhere. You can check out the FS forum. I believe there are some head lights under 200. You can probably convince them to put it up on ebay at a buy it now and you purchase it right away so you can use your gift certificate. other then that, there isn't much to do with about $200

Wilken
01-10-2006, 05:56 PM
I DO have a dremel as luck would have it - do the 99.5+ one-pieces have clear lenses and amber bulbs, or will I have to cut out the orange cover?

SeanF
01-10-2006, 06:08 PM
buy a magnaflow muffler on ebay ($140, and have it installed with the stock resonator, and it will sound good but not ricey...

TurbousMaximus
01-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Wilken
I DO have a dremel as luck would have it - do the 99.5+ one-pieces have clear lenses and amber bulbs, or will I have to cut out the orange cover?

youll still have to cut out the orange.

MR VTEC
01-10-2006, 07:01 PM
us spec housing
or boost gauge with overspun boost gauge holder and a orp intake set up and protocold hid's - just under 400

i should get a referal comission from these guys

Wilken
01-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by MR VTEC
us spec housing
or boost gauge with overspun boost gauge holder and a orp intake set up and protocold hid's - just under 400

i should get a referal comission from these guys

Boost gauge for what? The A/C condenser??

AHAHAAA!![wrench]

Poopie
01-10-2006, 09:55 PM
hahaha well you can read the vac? I think he means after you supercharge. IT all starts off with a simple clear corner and then the mod bug bites.

Droors43
01-11-2006, 08:48 AM
Hey gang,

You can all check out the ride below, and what I've done to it (next to nothing). But I wanted to keep it pretty toned down, classy, and most definitely non-ricey. I figure I have to sell this thing one day (and then pick up my S6 avant...woot!). Anyway, since it has 71K on the clock, I know that my next un-fun mod is going to be the timing belt. I have the kit picked out, and will do it with the water pump, tensioner, tool rental, etc, once I get the garage space (not too long from now). Also, the snub mount is sitting on the shelf waiting to go on at the same time.

BUT, my main question is...I got a hundred dollar ebay gift cert. for xmas, and have another 75 bucks sitting in my account. What should the next fun mod be? It certainly isn't enough for that awesome supercharger, I like the wheels that are on there, I recently re-did the non-working concert stereo (sans rear speakers....forkin' Germans) w/ integrated XM....I'm thinking lighting.

I really like the look of the one piece with the clear corners, but don't want to get too crazy with the design. I would also love to have some fog lights underneath instead of in the light housing itself (what's up with that??) - but so far no luck getting anyone to sell me their stock ones. E-codes look nice but expensive, so maybe a DIY is the way to go. I'm not really afraid of getting down and dirty with this thing, but once again, want everything to remain classy.

Maybe get one of those HID kits someone is selling here at AZ for 265?

Stock one-piece from some other year? Will they fit?

What would YOU do, fellow board members?

http://uploads.webrats.com/files/22/RFturn2.jpg

let me get this straight....

you have a $100 ebay gift certificate and only another $75 on top of that?! with this you are thinking about getting some mods...on ebay?

i'd think about saving up some money instead of blowing your whole "big" bank account of 75 bucks. $175 isn't much at all brother; that's merely my grocery bill for a week.

if you don't have the money to mod, then don't. save your money, you'll be thankful.

ibtw, i hope you meant to say $750 in your account.

MR VTEC
01-11-2006, 10:29 AM
Boost gauge for what? The A/C condenser??

AHAHAAA!![wrench]
Zoinks

Daft
01-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Droors43
$175 isn't much at all brother; that's merely my grocery bill for a week.

if you don't have the money to mod, then don't. save your money, you'll be thankful.

There are plenty of things that he can get for $175. No he won't get a whole lot out of it but, if he want's to do something, there are a few items out there.

Here's an older page from European Speed:
(Mods for less than $200)

http://www.europeanspeed.com/a4bargain.htm

BTW, it looks like the car is a 98.5 - 99. You can also get the following parts:

Used Homelink Visor from a salvage yard - $50 (approx might need to haggle a tad)
Clear sidemarker lenses with amber bulbs - $25
Front door speakers and tweeters - $100-150
OEM foglights and grilles from a 99.5 - 01 A4 - $100 - 150 (got mine from a user on this site, I'm sure there are plenty more)

Just a recommendation, don't buy a HID kit unless you get a set of projector headlamps. HID bulbs will be a complete waste of $$ in your stock housings. The OEM housings from a 00 - 01 A4/S4 are quite nice but you will have to cut your fenders and change all the wiring, plus you will have to drill holes and cut open the housings to mount your HID ballasts. I bought a set of 2pc HID housings from LLTEK for under $400. No cutting, no drilling, no wiring. Plug and play. You will need HID bulbs and ballasts to complete the kit but, they can be bought from a user name ProtocolD for less than $300. His website is www.oemhid.com

flyinb501
01-11-2006, 11:47 AM
1 pc headlights with cc, and some clear sidemarker lights.

Wilken
01-11-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Daft
There are plenty of things that he can get for $175. No he won't get a whole lot out of it but, if he want's to do something, there are a few items out there.

Here's an older page from European Speed:
(Mods for less than $200)

http://www.europeanspeed.com/a4bargain.htm

BTW, it looks like the car is a 98.5 - 99. You can also get the following parts:

Used Homelink Visor from a salvage yard - $50 (approx might need to haggle a tad)
Clear sidemarker lenses with amber bulbs - $25
Front door speakers and tweeters - $100-150
OEM foglights and grilles from a 99.5 - 01 A4 - $100 - 150 (got mine from a user on this site, I'm sure there are plenty more)

Just a recommendation, don't buy a HID kit unless you get a set of projector headlamps. HID bulbs will be a complete waste of $$ in your stock housings. The OEM housings from a 00 - 01 A4/S4 are quite nice but you will have to cut your fenders and change all the wiring, plus you will have to drill holes and cut open the housings to mount your HID ballasts. I bought a set of 2pc HID housings from LLTEK for under $400. No cutting, no drilling, no wiring. Plug and play. You will need HID bulbs and ballasts to complete the kit but, they can be bought from a user name ProtocolD for less than $300. His website is www.oemhid.com

Thanks for the advice Daft. Very cool link as well.
It IS a 98.5 2.8L, and thus I know that I can't really do the simple stuff for cheap- outside of what you recommended. You hit it right on, brotha!