PDA

View Full Version : Sound when accelerating with steering wheel turned all the way to the left or right

PeregrineNYC
11-11-2017, 11:54 AM
Iíve seen a variety of posts on this with different observations/results. Hoping itís just the Quattro system but not sure. Iím noticing when I have the steering wheel cut all the way to the right or left and then accelerate, Iím getting this bumping sound from the front of the car. Happens on both sides, no matter if Iím cut to the right or left. Almost feels like Iím running over rocks or something. It lessens when Iím warmed up after a good while. Again - only happening when Iím cut completely to right or left all the way and then accelerate, and when I repeat the action after the car warmed up it seemed to lessen/ stop. All thoughts/experiences appreciated. 2015 RS5, close to 35k miles.

Sazexa
11-11-2017, 01:20 PM
My assumption would be the differentials being at their limits on a full wheel lock, as well as the fluid not being warmed up yet causing it to lessen. I know the quattro system in the B8's can split torque up to 80/20 between axels, as well as another 80/20 split on the axel itself. You might be experiencing wheel skipping from the differential.

I could be wrong but that would be my assumption. I don't think it would matter much, but are you on stock tires or wider tires?

PeregrineNYC
11-11-2017, 07:51 PM
I'm on stock tires, pirelli p-zeros, 20" wheel. I'm about to switch to my winter wheels and tires, still OEM but 19". I forgot to add before that when this happens and I'm on a sharp turn when cold, I feel actual slippage, sort of like the car isn't following the trajectory of the turn and is jerking forward slightly when it should actually be turning. Not a great feeling, but again, it passes when the car is sufficiently warmed.

Sazexa
11-12-2017, 05:44 AM
Yeah, that sounds like the differential. As you said, it's ONLY when fully locked and trying to accelerate hard?

brianup
11-12-2017, 05:51 AM
Iíve owned an 01 A6 4.2 and a B6 S4. Both did what you are describing when under power (even minimal power) and wheel is cut all the way.

Maybe itís not normal, but it sounds like a common issue. Iíd be surprised if other b6 owners donít chime in here today...

I try not to cut the wheel all the way under power. I clutch and roll with the wheel cut all the way and workaround.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcbuck
11-12-2017, 07:12 AM
Tires are skipping when cold, I had this exact issue on worn summers. Differential wants both tires to turn at same speed and they cannot when the wheel is cut hard.

Buck
Sent from this little electronic gizmo

PeregrineNYC
11-12-2017, 10:57 AM
Yes exactly. Only when fully locked and trying to accelerate hard. Iíve recently started parking in a spot that requires exactly this maneuver to get out - who knows how long or if this would have happened in the past, as Iíve had no reason to consistently drive like this.

PeregrineNYC
11-12-2017, 11:01 AM
Sorry Iím on my mobile and the above response was to Sazexaís post above.
To mcbuck, yes I wondered about the skipping tires - my summer treads are more than 1/2 way depleted and itís been pretty cold where I had the car (rural Connecticut at 1000 ft above sea level).
I guess Iíll find out when I bring it in, or maybe even when I switch to my winters.
Appreciate the comments from all.

PeregrineNYC
11-20-2017, 06:21 AM
Update - I recently switched my wheels and tires to my Winter set up (20Ē to 19Ē), and this problem has vanished so clearly this was related to running my 20Ē setup.